PDA

View Full Version : 4x5 viewfinders

Peter De Smidt
15-Jun-2011, 17:27
I've never used a 4x5 viewfinder, and I'm curious how useful they are for finding compositions? (I have a Toyo AX, which has a flash shoe on top of the frame.) I know that Linhof has made them for years. How are they? What should they go for? Anything to look out for? Are there any good non-linhof alternatives?

vinny
15-Jun-2011, 18:24
I've heard mostly good things about the goersi finders sold on ebay. The linhof's are nice too but rare used and $$$$$ new. I don't use a finder since I know my lenses pretty well. I am getting one for a 4x5 point and shoot i've built.

Ivan J. Eberle
17-Jun-2011, 05:59
I like the wire hoop sports finder on the front standard of my Meridian 45CE used with a 135mm lens. Weighs almost nothing and doesn't increase the form factor-- unlike the Linhof types.

Michael Gordon
17-Jun-2011, 10:28
My brain and eyes are most useful for finding compositions, so I have no direct experience with finders. But if I did need one, I'd keep it ultralight and free and make it myself (http://www.ehow.com/how_4861383_finder-beginning-photography.html).

Drew Bedo
17-Jun-2011, 10:50
A famous man once said, "The ground glass is Truth."

Warren Clark
17-Jun-2011, 12:00
Hi Peter,

You might find some past threads about finders. A wide range of opinions and
methods with finders.
I use a Horseman zoom finder-- focal lengths 90-400. It will mount via
shoe mount but I was lucky to find mine with a detachable handgrip.
I commonly walk around to survey a subject or scene and the finder
gives me a good feeling for what focal length lens to bring back to
a specific tripod location. Everyone has their preferences-- for me the
finder is a very useful tool. Mine came with a 6x9 cm mask also.
When using 8x10 roughly use 2X the focal length reading.

Warren Clark

Sirius Glass
17-Jun-2011, 12:28
Ansel Adams held out a frame with the negative size hole cut out at the focal lenght of the lens. This is probably the most cost effective approach.

Steve

Peter De Smidt
20-Jun-2011, 12:33
I appreciate the replies, and I did search through threads before asking.

I've been using a cut out "viewfinder" for years. I used 5 ply model airplane plywood, which is thin, strong and light. I have a string with knots giving the hyper focal distances of my three mainly used lenses at F22 when the knot is held to my face. It works ok. The Gaorsi is certainly priced right, but it only goes to 150mm. I'd like the finder to at least cover 210mm, and preferably 240 and 300mm as well. The linhof and horseman finders look very nice, but one could buy a couple of decent lenses for what they cost, unless one gets a super deal.

Scott Walker
20-Jun-2011, 12:59
Up until recently I used a greycard with a 4x5" hole cut in it. I now use the Viewfinder Pro app on my iPhone, it works great, you can save up to 4 different camera formats with all your lenses.
.....and if you get hungry you can order pizza with it :D :D something those fancy and expensive Linhof finders can't do :rolleyes:

Peter De Smidt
20-Jun-2011, 13:47
There are a bunch of options, it seems, from Nikon zoom finders to Russian turret finders, to a Tewe finders. Some of these are for 35mm, but that's not such a big deal.

Armin Seeholzer
20-Jun-2011, 14:01
Peter I have a Linhof and I'm almost happy with it, but I use it very seldom and it is quite heavy!
I use it more often for my 8x10 because with this format I'm not so familiar as with the 4x5.
Buy Film you get more out of it, in my opinion!

Cheers Armin

Peter De Smidt
20-Jun-2011, 14:06
Armin,

I agree with you. I'm sure Linhof and Horseman finders are great, but I'm not going to spend that much. I'm leaning towards getting one of the Russian turret universal finders. Supposedly the optics are pretty good, and they cost less than $100 shipped.

engl
22-Jun-2011, 05:36
I use a digital compact camera as my meter, and also as a viewfinder. I had to check what zoom setting corresponds to my lenses, quickly enough done.

Peter De Smidt
27-Jun-2011, 17:01
Well, I ordered a Tewe Busch Polyfocus 4x5 Finder- 80-350mm. It's a zoom finder made in Germany, probably some time in the 1960s. I've read some good things about them online, and I'll be happy to share my impressions when it arrives.