PDA

View Full Version : On the island

libr0
15-Jun-2011, 10:36
Hello,
I've recently been to a photography workshop here on the island of Guernsey held by Simon Norfolk. I only have got experience with ddslr cameras but always felt drawn to some bigger, more mechanical. Well, Simon showed us his 4x5 Ebony and while holding it, my hands started to tingle. The more he talked the more excited I got. I've only started fotography a few months ago and it will take some time for me to get enough experience and courage to try something so complex, but I will do a lot of reading and the odd question in here in the meantime!
-libr0

Joanna Carter
15-Jun-2011, 11:07
Guernsey is near enough to qualify as part of the UK, so why don't you join us on the UKLFPG Forums (http://www.lf-photo.org.uk/forum)? We run free workshops twice yearly, where you can usually get your hands on some spare LF gear and all the help you could ask for.

I also run my own workshops in Brittany, which might be closer to home :D

Sirius Glass
15-Jun-2011, 11:26
Welcome to Large Format Photography Forum!

Steve

Vick Vickery
15-Jun-2011, 20:26
Welcome to group therapy! :) I still find dslr's more complicated than the manual cameras...goes to the years spent with the latter, I guess.

Light Guru
15-Jun-2011, 20:31
Welcome Welcome

I've only started photography a few months ago and it will take some time for me to get enough experience and courage to try something so complex
-libr0

Im new myself to large format but my biggest suggestion if you are still new to photography would be to shoot completely on manual for a while. This will help give you a firm understanding of exposure and other things.

Steve Smith
16-Jun-2011, 00:08
Welcome. All of the best photography takes place on small islands!

Steve.

Tony Lakin
16-Jun-2011, 00:20
Welcome. All of the best photography takes place on small islands!

Steve.,

I agree, welcome to large format photography forum:)

Tony

anglophone1
16-Jun-2011, 13:49
Hello,
I've recently been to a photography workshop here on the island of Guernsey held by Simon Norfolk. I only have got experience with ddslr cameras but always felt drawn to some bigger, more mechanical. Well, Simon showed us his 4x5 Ebony and while holding it, my hands started to tingle. The more he talked the more excited I got. I've only started fotography a few months ago and it will take some time for me to get enough experience and courage to try something so complex, but I will do a lot of reading and the odd question in here in the meantime!
-libr0

Part of the Guernsey Photo Festival?
Sounds like a good event in a nice place.....
Welcome aboard!

Ninjaslim
29-Jun-2011, 06:00
Hi libr0
I'm just returning to the field of large format photography and also through my involvement with the Guernsey Festival. Just joined this forum today, probably bump into you sometime soon!
I bet there's a few more Large Format folk here, I know Peter Neville is shooting on a Linhof 5/4 and I love the Portraits his producing.
cheers
Tim

Ninjaslim
29-Jun-2011, 06:20
libr0
If you've after a wooden box camera Simon Norfolk has just emailed Jean-Christophe with details of a lovely 10x8 Gandolfi with a couple of lenses that one of his friends is selling. email JC or look me up on my website and drop me a line if you're interested.

Steve Smith
29-Jun-2011, 07:23
On the subject of islands, it seems that the combined population of the world's islands are currently here on the Isle of Wight for The Island Games. Are any of you involved?

Steve.

Ninjaslim
29-Jun-2011, 08:38
No but I've got a lot of friends in the cycling team and we're currently top of the medals table by quite some margin. Importantly we had 20 golds to Jersey's 10 earlier today.

Tim