PDA

View Full Version : MEYER TRIOPLAN 360mm f/4.5

cyberjunkie
14-Jun-2011, 20:51
Got it off the auction site, spanish auction.
The vendor writes that it's coated, the red "V" on the beauty ring seems to confirm it.
The Vademecum says that 360mm is the longest focal they made, and that it's a triplet, similar to the original Taylor design.
I couldn't pass it cause the price was affordable, and i was longing for a long portrait triplet, with plastic, heliaresque rendition, at a fraction of the price commanded by glasses with more prestige.
I understand that's a late Meyer product, of trivial design, but i guessed that a late coated triplet would be a nice glass to experiment with. As soon as i get it, i'll try the lens wide open: the focal length and the f/4.5 aperture should allow to shoot pictures with shallow depth of focus, with a nice rendition of out of focus. The diaphragm blades seem to be innumerable, the light reflections in OOF area should be perfectly round! :)
Being a post-war product, i expect a fairly good optical performance.
All in all, an usable lens, and not just a collector item, but i found little infos on this forum. I don't know if it's because the lens is seen as just another average triplet, or because it's not too common in its longer focals, for LF cameras.
Any personal experience shooting with a late Trioplan?

have fun

CJ

Dan Fromm
15-Jun-2011, 02:20
No experience but if you look harder you'll find very positive reports on LF Trioplans. Good snag!

CCHarrison
15-Jun-2011, 02:52
From Sean's site - 1952 catalogue page

cyberjunkie
16-Jun-2011, 01:13
So it's a GDR product! :)
Didn't think about it in the first place.
Never found any mention of Meyer LF lenses in articles/posts about communist" LF glasses.
It's a pity that Meyer was merged in the Pentacon group.
Something nice was produced even during the Pentacon times, though. I love the Globica II studio cameras, for example. I have seen only the 13x18 version (and only in picture), did they make a 18x24?
Too heavy to be shipped, unfortunately; if the shutter works well (no reasons to doubt about it) a late Globica should well be a perfect match for those giant portrait lenses.

have fun

CJ

cyberjunkie
16-Jun-2011, 01:41
So it's a GDR product! :)
Didn't think about it in the first place.
Never found any mention of Meyer LF lenses in articles/posts about communist" LF glasses.
It's a pity that Meyer was merged in the Pentacon group.
Something nice was produced even during the Pentacon times, though. I love the Globica II studio cameras, for example. I have seen only the 13x18 version (and only in picture), did they make a 18x24?
Too heavy to be shipped, unfortunately; if the shutter works well (no reasons to doubt about it) a late Globica should well be a perfect match for those giant portrait lenses.

have fun

CJ

cyberjunkie
16-Jun-2011, 01:50
Oops... f***ing Android phone.
I got it double posted, shame on me!
I'm supposed to be a tech wizard, but i just goofed with a simple cell phone :(

have fun

CJ

Arne Croell
16-Jun-2011, 08:27
I have some info on post-WWII Meyer lenses in the following article (still a work in progress): http://www.arnecroell.com/eastern-bloc.pdf

David Lindquist
16-Jun-2011, 09:45
I have some info on post-WWII Meyer lenses in the following article (still a work in progress): http://www.arnecroell.com/eastern-bloc.pdf

Thank you very much for making this available Arne. Your usual literate and thorough work (albeit your comment about its being a work in progress).

Scanned the Hugo Meyer portion for any mention of the Plasmat. Yes, it's curious they did not resume production of this lens after the war.
David Lindquist

Ramiro Elena
16-Jun-2011, 14:34
Argh!! It was you then! How did you manage to bid 70 cents more than me?!

I really wanted that lens. :(

cyberjunkie
16-Jun-2011, 16:30
Argh!! It was you then! How did you manage to bid 70 cents more than me?!

I really wanted that lens. :(

Sorry :)
I thought i made a very conservative bid.
I think i found it on Ebay.es, maybe it was not showing up on Ebay.it or Ebay.com; so i really feel a little sorry, probably the auction was meant for spaniards only.
BTW, i still haven't got the lens...

If everything will go the right way, i'll try the lens shooting some portraits with an old studio camera (Pettazzi, Milano - with a big stand) that i have found. Hopefully, i will be able to arrange a transport within 10 days or so...
My old Mazda pickup is KO, but i hope that's just a battery problem.
The camera will come with a 360mm Heliar in barrel and an italian made soft focus lens.
I have spent way too much money lately, so if i need to sell the Heliar to support my everyday life... i'll be left with the Trioplan at least :D

have fun

CJ

Ramiro Elena
17-Jun-2011, 01:30
Yes, I bid very low too since items being sold in Spain don't usually get much attention. I've seen great portraits made with that lens, post your results here! :D