PDA

View Full Version : Lens options for 6x9 Technika

johnnymoped
14-Jun-2011, 13:38
So I did it a few days ago and bought a about 40y old Technika IV/V (Rangefinder on the side).
It came with the Super Angulon 65/8, Symmar 100/5.6 and a 180mm lens.
Until now I've only tested the Symmar and I am honestly surprised how incredible sharp it is. What I don't like is the non existend flare resitance and low contrast - especially when shooting color (what I do most). So the first thing I buy will be a lens hood (any recommendations?).
But what I really would love is a 90mm lens. Some more modern one with more contrast and flare resistance.
Are there any options? best would be one which can be mounted on a recessed lensboard (like the one the 65/8 is mounted on). So a Copal0/Compur0 would be too large, right?
What about lensboards? Are there any 3rd party manufacturers?

thanks a lot

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2618/5834003404_07ae13d446_b.jpg
This was my first test-shot (quick and dirty self development). About 100m next to the Linhof headquarters in Munich (and no, I didn't buy it from them :) ).

domaz
14-Jun-2011, 14:28
If you get a 90mm don't get a Super Angulon or a similar- that would be a real waste of coverage on 6x9 (Super Angulons usually barely cover 5x7) and be unnecessairly bulky. KEH has an 80mm Xenotar 2.8 right now- that's close to a 90mm and would be a sweet fast lens for 6x9. A late 90mm Angulon would be a good choice too if your set on that focal length.

johnnymoped
14-Jun-2011, 15:01
thanks a lot. will have a look at the angulons.
Though all the ones that I saw on eBay right know are from the early to mid sixties. so I think they wouldn't be very contrasty.

the xenotar wouldn't allow any movements as the image circle is only 91mm.

what about more modern 100mm lenses?

aduncanson
14-Jun-2011, 18:08
There are Rodenstock 95mm Ysarex (tessar) and Heligon (planar) lenses originally sold for Graflex XL cameras and the Super Horseman 90mm/5.6 lens made for the Horseman 6x9 technical cameras which just covers 4x5 when stopped down.

Don Dudenbostel
14-Jun-2011, 19:18
If you get a 90mm don't get a Super Angulon or a similar- that would be a real waste of coverage on 6x9 (Super Angulons usually barely cover 5x7) and be unnecessairly bulky. KEH has an 80mm Xenotar 2.8 right now- that's close to a 90mm and would be a sweet fast lens for 6x9. A late 90mm Angulon would be a good choice too if your set on that focal length.

The 90 super angulon will not work on the 6x9. Won't fit the front standard. Also the 80 Xenotar will not cover 6x7 or larger, not even stopped down. I have a 100 planar that just does cover 6x9 the old Angulon isn't the sharpest lens and not particularly great contrast.

I use a 100 Nikkor on my Baby V and find it superb. I also have a 75 f6.5 Grandagon and find it excellent as a medium wide.

Don Dudenbostel
14-Jun-2011, 19:25
Nikon made both a 100 & 105 f5.6. I have the 100 and have no idea why they made a 105 since they both have the same image circle. Fuji and Schneider made modern 100 / 105 lenses too although the old Symmar is a very fine lens. If I remember correctly I think Schneider also made a Symmar 80. If you don't like the contrast try adjusting development of your negs. I've found bellows flare to be more of a factor than lens coating / design issues. The bellows are small relative to the image circle which increases light scatter inside the camera.

neil poulsen
14-Jun-2011, 23:04
Don't know for sure if it would work but how about the Geronar 90mm f8 lens? It was a double-gauss design sold by Rodenstock, and it was multi-coated. I see them for sale occasionally.

johnnymoped
15-Jun-2011, 03:03
thanks a lot guys.
might just update my current symmar 100 (from the late sixties) to a more modern apo symmar 100.
If I wouldn't do mostly color I'd keep the old symmar.

johnnymoped
15-Jun-2011, 03:13
One more question: what kind of lens hood do I need for my current symmar 100?
I know that the thread is 40.5 but how large has the lens hood to be?

Frank Petronio
15-Jun-2011, 06:43
Do an ebay search for "metal, 40.5, lenshade" or hood, buy from a domestic seller if possible, Heavystar is a good one. About $10. Get the normal length, or err on the wide side.

I use them on everything even if they aren't the ideal length, they offer some protection to the lens and keeps some the raindrops and dirt from hitting the front element.

GPS
15-Jun-2011, 06:58
One more question: what kind of lens hood do I need for my current symmar 100?
I know that the thread is 40.5 but how large has the lens hood to be?

The larger the hood is, the longer it can be for a given lens and the more efficient it is in eliminating the stray light hitting lens surface.
Don't limit yourself to some industrial made lens shades that were never meant for your lens and camera. Best would be to make a simple quadrant shaped tunnel made of black flocked paper that would be big enough to enclose the hole lens or even the front standard. After you have served your lens with the aperture # etc. you can put the shade on the front standard and take the shot. Such a lens hood would allow you to be long enough for a very efficient lens shade. How you attach it to the front standard has little importance, there is always a way to do so.

johnnymoped
15-Jun-2011, 06:59
Do an ebay search for "metal, 40.5, lenshade" or hood, buy from a domestic seller if possible, Heavystar is a good one. About $10. Get the normal length, or err on the wide side.

I use them on everything even if they aren't the ideal length, they offer some protection to the lens and keeps some the raindrops and dirt from hitting the front element.

But what about movements?
A normal lenshood will produce some vignetting when the front standard is rised, right?

GPS
15-Jun-2011, 07:03
But what about movements?
A normal lenshood will produce some vignetting when the front standard is rised, right?

Yes, it will, if it is made small enough for the film format in use. Making a lens shade that is usable with movements and making an efficient lens shade are two mutually contradicting conditions. A compromise is inevitable on one or the other side.

Frank Petronio
15-Jun-2011, 07:55
Yeah a small, partially effective hood is better than none at all is my philosophy. The rest comes from shading using alternatives (darkslide, hand, body, positioning... ) OR sucking it up to do it right... and getting a flexible compendium lenshade that can be extended and flexed to fit right up to your image's cropping. For most situations you don't need to do that and the shade sold by Linhof for their cameras is pretty bulky, if you could afford it. Lee Filters makes a flexible shade that works well for a lot of people. I even used to adapt a Hasselblad ProShade myself.

Ray Van Nes
15-Jun-2011, 17:53
Another option is the f3.5 Zeiss that came on the small Grapic Century. They are very sharp, good flare resistance and 40.5mm filter size.

Lightbender
15-Jun-2011, 23:50
I second the 80mm f2.8 xenotar.