PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Kardan Master: TL vs GTL?

Andrey Vorobyov
14-Jun-2011, 08:00
Hello everybody,
could anyone please tell me the difference between TL and GTL models of Kardan Master? I mean the 8x10 model if it matters.

Especially interesting if the TL allows the adjustable asymmetrical movements as GTL does.

Thanks!
Andrey

Bob Salomon
14-Jun-2011, 08:09
The GTL has Linhof's continuously variable asymmetrical movements as well as optical axis tilts. The TL had optical axis tilts only.

Andrey Vorobyov
14-Jun-2011, 08:17
optical axis tilts: and does the tilt axis stay in GG plane during tilt?
If yes, I can
1) raise the standard (move the axis up at needed point in the scene)
2) tilt _without destroying_ focus at that scene point
3) drop the standard back.

Less convenient but quite feasible..

Bob Salomon
14-Jun-2011, 10:56
optical axis tilts: and does the tilt axis stay in GG plane during tilt?
If yes, I can
1) raise the standard (move the axis up at needed point in the scene)
2) tilt _without destroying_ focus at that scene point
3) drop the standard back.

Less convenient but quite feasible..

Optical axis and center tilts are the same thing.

The Linhof cameras with asyymetrical movents were the Kardan L which was then replaced by the TL without asyymetrical movements, the GTL and the M679/M679cc and the current M679cs.

The TL, TE, GT, ST, E, M, re, SC JBL, TK and the other variations all had center tilts. The B and the GT and the GTI are center and base movements.

Andrey Vorobyov
15-Jun-2011, 04:24
Bob, thanks!
May be it is a question of terminilogy: do I understand correctly that "asymmetrical movements" means that the rotation axis during the tilt/swing stays on the GG plane?

I believe that the latter property is the key point allowing the 2-points focusing technique. And (unlike many opinions) I believe that off-center GG axes placements in principle has nothing to do with feasibility of that technique.

And another question please: does the TL allow to be folded flat after bellow detaching? I.e. can front and rear standards be turned parallel to the rail for transportation?

Bob Salomon
15-Jun-2011, 05:38
Bob, thanks!
May be it is a question of terminilogy: do I understand correctly that "asymmetrical movements" means that the rotation axis during the tilt/swing stays on the GG plane?

Yes.

I believe that the latter property is the key point allowing the 2-points focusing technique. And (unlike many opinions) I believe that off-center GG axes placements in principle has nothing to do with feasibility of that technique.

And another question please: does the TL allow to be folded flat after bellow detaching? I.e. can front and rear standards be turned parallel to the rail for transportation?

Yes.