PDA

View Full Version : How to mount an enlarging lens in a shutter

Larry Gebhardt
13-Jun-2011, 19:03
What are some good ways to mount an enlarging lens in a shutter for macro work. Not looking to spend a lot, and I don't need very high speeds, so I'm thinking a packard shutter may be the answer. Though I don't know where to find one for a technika board.

Any simple ideas using readily available adapters and my existing shutters (copal 1 and 0) and Nikon 105 and 150mm enlarging lenses (39mm mount on back and 52mm on front).

Louis Pacilla
13-Jun-2011, 20:07
Hey Larry

If your not intending to use strobes or in some cases even if you do, you really don't need a shutter to do macro work . It's nice to have a shutter but not necessary. Plus, having a lens mounted to a shutter is never inexpensive.

Remember that W/ bellows extension factored in, Reciprocity factor & the small stop you'll probably use . Your times will end up way long. You can simply take the lens cap off & then hit the stop watch or count it off in your head.

A Packard is useful if your shooting w/ a big light cannon( Portrait lens) out doors or in studio. As most of the time your trying to shot wide open or close to that. When your lens has a max aperture of f3 or 4.5 the 15th of a second from the Packard & a couple of ND filters can make this a possibility .

If your need is only temporary or occasionally, you can always front mount your enlarging lens to a shutter you already own. Attach it w/ gaffers tape or blue tack and then when your finished, simply return the original cells to the shutter.

Larry Gebhardt
14-Jun-2011, 04:22
Thanks Louis. I guess I should have mentioned that my reasons for wanting a shutter are twofold. Primarily I want to enable flash sync, and two I want to eliminate camera movement from uncovering the lens. I hadn't though of simple gaffers tape, which may be good enough until I find out if 4x5 close up work is for me.

Bob Salomon
14-Jun-2011, 04:42
You need a 0 shutter and an adapter ring that accepts 39mm Leica thread enlarging lenses. That would mount any Leica mount enlarging lens up to 105 mm and some 135mm ones.

You could try to find the old Linhof Macro Tube Board with shutter. This was a Technika board with a tapered cone with a shutter at the end of the cone. The tapered cone is necessary to allow greater control of the lighting when the lights are close to the board.

Later versions of the above board had a shutter that accepted Leica mount 39mm screw thread lenses. Older versions did not accept 39mm screw thread lenses and you would need an adapter.

IanG
14-Jun-2011, 06:05
A 135mm Componon or Componon S will fit sraight into a Copal 0 shutter, and a 150mm into a Copal 1. They don't need any adapting.

Ian

Bob Salomon
14-Jun-2011, 07:30
A 135mm Componon or Componon S will fit sraight into a Copal 0 shutter, and a 150mm into a Copal 1. They don't need any adapting.

Ian

What lenses are you using?

The Schneider catalog that we have lists the mounting thread size for a 135mm Componon S lens as M50x0.75. The 150mm is the same. Both lenses are also available (or were available) in M32.5x0.5 to fit into a Copal 0 shutter. Copal 1 shutters have a M39x0.75 thread. Leica thread is M39x1/26" and a 39x0.75 thread lens will not seat properly in a Leica mount threaded camera and vice versa.

To mount Leica thread enlarging lenses into a Copal 0 shutter you need an adapter ring with a M32.5x0.5 male thread to screw into the 0 shutter and with a M39x1/26 Leica female thread on the other side to properly seat the lens.

As I stated earlier, some 135mm enlarging lenses, including the 135mm Rodagon, are in 39mm Leica thread.

Emmanuel BIGLER
14-Jun-2011, 11:13
What are some good ways to mount an enlarging lens in a shutter for macro work.

Hello ! You might have a look at this article written by Dan Fromm, one of our distinguished forum members, he describes exactly what you need, sharing his long-time experience with us.
http://www.galerie-photo.com/1-lens-6x9-dan-fromm.html

And you can contact the author directly here !!

IanG
14-Jun-2011, 12:50
What lenses are you using?

Compon0n's & the S.135/150

The 135mm & 150mm front and rear cells are unscrewed from their barrel mounts and drop into a shutter. Schneider sold also them shutter mounted (Compur) as macro lenses. They were in there 1970's literature.

I've used the cells from my 135mm Componon and 135mm Componon S in a Copal shutter, and also the cells from my Vivitar VHE 150mm (it has Componon S cells). They are direct fit no adaptors.

Unlike the G Claron Schneider stated the Componon & S are outstanding lenses at Infinity. 1978 lens brochure.

Ian

Bob Salomon
14-Jun-2011, 13:43
Compon0n's & the S.135/150

The 135mm & 150mm front and rear cells are unscrewed from their barrel mounts and drop into a shutter. Schneider sold also them shutter mounted (Compur) as macro lenses. They were in there 1970's literature.

I've used the cells from my 135mm Componon and 135mm Componon S in a Copal shutter, and also the cells from my Vivitar VHE 150mm (it has Componon S cells). They are direct fit no adaptors.

Unlike the G Claron Schneider stated the Componon & S are outstanding lenses at Infinity. 1978 lens brochure.

Ian

So you are assuming that the spacing will be correct that way? You didn't mention that you were dismembering the lens. What I posted lets you mount the complete lens into a shutter. Then you can unscrew it from the shutter and still use it on a lensboard on an enlarger.

IanG
14-Jun-2011, 14:33
It's hardly dismembering a lens Bob :D After all rear cells have to be removed to fit any lens and shutter to a lens board.

Modern Copal & Compur shutters are (were) made to higher tolerances, an issue with early 90mm f6.8 Anulons was the Compur shutters didn't give consistent spacing often too wide which can't be shimmed, and spacing is much more critical with Wide angle lenses. It's worth noting that the Hexanon GRII 150mm graphics lens covers 10x8 well at Infinity and is sharp to the corners when spaced correctly but won't if the cells are spaced to far apart

So the lens spacing should be fine not many lenses have spacer shim washers these days. There's none on any of my Schneider LF lenses (8 or 9) but there is on my Grandagon.

Individual lenses may well vary some lenses have their cells shimmed for macro work, an extreme was a 600mm East German lens which had quite a wide spacer for process/macro work this was removed for normal camera use.

There's more than one way to crack an egg but Schneider designed the Componon & S so the cells (of some FLs) could fit straight into a Compur shutter (or Copal). Shorter than 135mm is best done as you suggest.

In many ways we are talking cross purpose because shorter than 135mm can only be used as a macro and vignetting is less important, but 135mm or 150mm is better Schneider's way.

Ian