PDA

View Full Version : Lens adapters - old lenses in modern shutters

Henry Ambrose
13-Jun-2011, 14:57
Here are a couple of lens adapters I just finished for a fellow member of the LF forum. They now both fit into a Copal 3 shutter.

To make this even more LFish, I shot three of the last four sheets of Polaroid I found in a cupboard - dated 2008 but it still works fine.

Ramiro Elena
13-Jun-2011, 15:04
Great solution for using one shutter and many barrel lenses each with its adapter. Not for the HUGE ones one sees here every now and then.

Steven Tribe
13-Jun-2011, 15:04
Did you start out with standard aluminium tubing? Lathe and thread "accessory device" (sorry I'm not a lathe man!)?

Henry Ambrose
13-Jun-2011, 15:38
Did you start out with standard aluminium tubing? Lathe and thread "accessory device" (sorry I'm not a lathe man!)?

I started with a solid bar of 6061 Aluminum 2.5 inches in diameter then turned, bored and threaded in the lathe.

David Lindquist
13-Jun-2011, 17:26
Very nice work. Did the lens barrels have metric pitch threads? Were they 60 degrees in profile? Guessing these would predate ISO metric standards :-).
david

Henry Ambrose
13-Jun-2011, 18:35
Good questions.
Yes, 60 degree profile. The internal threads on one adapter were cut to 24 tpi as it was a perfect match with my thread gage. The other lens had a .75 pitch metric thread but not in a way it could be used to mount the lens as it was too close to the shutter size. No room for an adpater. That lens and adapter has a slight interference/shrink fit on the barrel and a drop of super glue for insurance. The shutter, of course, is normal metric.

c.d.ewen
13-Jun-2011, 18:52
An evil and pernicious habit, Henry. :rolleyes: Leads to AGAS - Ancillary Gear Accumulation Syndrome, e.g., the uncontrollable urge to buy extra shutters for your new lenses.

It can be compounded when you pick up a real nice lens, like a 16 1/2" Dagor, in a barrel without an iris. Then you've got to make two adapters. Is 6061 good enough for a Dagor? Naw, only brass will do.

If you've got to ask what 3 1/4" round brass costs, you can't afford it.

Nice work, Henry ;)

Charley

Henry Ambrose
13-Jun-2011, 20:06
A

If you've got to ask what 3 1/4" round brass costs, you can't afford it.

Nice work, Henry ;)

Charley

You spent some pretty fancy money before you even made the first cut.
Nice knurling.

Nathan Potter
13-Jun-2011, 20:12
Hey Henry, if you gold anodize the aluminum Charley will be happier and the assembly will be lighter than brass. Nice work indeed!

Nate Potter, Austin TX.