PDA

View Full Version : Very late Schneider Angulon 165mm f:6.8

benjamin1914
13-Jun-2011, 09:14
I`ve just bought a 165mm f:6.8 Schneider Angulon that I plan to use for 8x10.

The lens looks slightly different from those that I have seen on eBay:

Serial number is 13.339.xxx, it would be one of the last Angulons made, about 1997, according to Schneider serial number list.

The two cells fits directly in a modern Compur 3 shutter.

Filter size is 68mm, instead of 58mm.

The lettering is not in an inner ring around the front element, but on the lens outer part.

Both cells look larger.

Lens and shutter weight 521 grams.

Those are not the specs listed in Schneider's site.

Does anybody know about this version? Would performarce be different from "normal" versions?

Thank you very much in advance for your answers.

Javier

benjamin1914
13-Jun-2011, 09:23
Sorry, I meant 1977.

Kerry L. Thalmann
13-Jun-2011, 11:37
Javier,

This was part of a very late, limited production lot Schneider made for a specific customer. I can't remember off the top of my head if it was Sinar or Linhof, and if the number of lenses produced was 90 or 140.

I also have one of these. Mine was purchased as loose cells only and I have mounted the cells in a Compur 3 shutter of comparable vintage with properly calibrated aperture scales made by SK Grimes.

I have not tested the coverage of mine, but I suspect that the mechanical changes were made to reduce mechnical vignetting and improve coverage for use on an 18x24/8x10 camera from the customer who placed the order.

They are indeed very rare. Let us know how well yours covers. The official Schneider specs for the older version in Compur 2 shutter with 58mm filter threads list 84 degrees of coverage and a 300mm image circle at f16. My experience is that the coverage of these lenses increases to about 90 degrees (330mm IC) at f32. With the enhanced mechanical design, your late model Angulon should cover at least that much, and very likely a little more.

Kerry

benjamin1914
13-Jun-2011, 13:24
Kerry, thank you very much for your kind answer. As for the particular coverage of my Angulon it will have to wait... I have the lens but not the camera. I'm looking for a 8x10 kit for my Sinar P.
Regards.

Javier

Lynn Jones
14-Jun-2011, 15:43
Typically, f 6.8 Angulons covered 85 degrees at f22.

Lynn

Frank Petronio
14-Jun-2011, 16:22
That should be a very desirable lens for a field camera who values compactness and lightweight... if you're going for a Sinar P then it is kind of at odds with that but I bet you could swap nicely for a larger, more modern lens with someone looking to downsize. Not that there is anything wrong with the Angulon, but a newer Super Angulon would be better at wider apertures, making it more versatile than just a (very nice) backpacking landscape lens.

Kerry L. Thalmann
14-Jun-2011, 17:24
IFilter size is 68mm, instead of 58mm.

One minor correction - the filter size iz 67mm, not 68mm. This is nice as 67mm is my standard filter size as I have several other lenses that take the same size filters.

It also means you can use one of the 67mm center filters from Schneider or Heliopan, if desired, with this lens. Of course those filters aren't designed specifically for this lens, but the Schneider 3b or Heliopan 3x should even out the illumination nicely when using this lens with high contrast materials (like color transparancy film - assuming anyone is shooting 8x10 color transparancies these days).

Kerry