PDA

View Full Version : German reisskamera with bronze lens

cyrus
13-Jun-2011, 08:44
I have this old camera with a couple of plateholders and I'm curious what I can do with it, practically speaking, other than decoration.
The camera is is perfect functioning shape and the bellows appears brand new. The lens, however, is a different issue. It is a Universal Rapid Aplanat Serie "E" No.3 - the front element rattles and the rear element has some ... pine tar? ... showing on an edge. The two holders are lovely. They have that reassuring smooth click when closed, and a much better thought-out locking system for the dark slide than modern double-darks. There are various sized adaptors in the plate holders -- one plate holder is marked 18x13 but the adaptor inside is clearly not that size. What I presume is the name of the original owner and the city of his residence in Germany are also noted on the plate holders.
It is a lovely camera and I'd like to be able to use it for some alt process. Is this practical? I'd have to get a better lens though, for starters.

Sevo
13-Jun-2011, 09:22
Hornbogen is a rare German surname I never even heard so far, but going by Google it is widespread in Apolda, so it probably belongs to a old local family. These cameras usually were branded by the seller rather than the maker, and cameras owned/used by studio operating professionals mostly remained unbranded. So it is likely that Max Hornbogen was a camera dealer or photographer in town who supplied that camera to some amateur or institutional customer.

Personally I don't consider Reisekameras particularly suitable for wet processes - they have a tendency to wear out and come loose even in normal use, and won't survive extra weights and manipulation on the rear for long. Price (low due to their high numbers, long span of production and lack of industrial branding which reduces the interest by systematic collectors) and portability make them a common wet plate choice nonetheless - but in general, just about any more boxy non-collapsible camera type will do better as long as you do not intend to move about without a car.

cyrus
13-Jun-2011, 10:17
Hornbogen is a rare German surname I never even heard so far, but going by Google it is widespread in Apolda, so it probably belongs to a old local family. These cameras usually were branded by the seller rather than the maker, and cameras owned/used by studio operating professionals mostly remained unbranded. So it is likely that Max Hornbogen was a camera dealer or photographer in town who supplied that camera to some amateur or institutional customer.

Personally I don't consider Reisekameras particularly suitable for wet processes - they have a tendency to wear out and come loose even in normal use, and won't survive extra weights and manipulation on the rear for long. Price (low due to their high numbers, long span of production and lack of industrial branding which reduces the interest by systematic collectors) and portability make them a common wet plate choice nonetheless - but in general, just about any more boxy non-collapsible camera type will do better as long as you do not intend to move about without a car.

I think its actually "Max Kornbogen"
The camera is quite lightweight. I guess I'll try it as a wetplate camera then! Just need a lens . . .

Ole Tjugen
13-Jun-2011, 11:02
Reisekameras work great for general photography, too.

The lack of extensive swings and tilts is rarely a problem, and the shift/rise on the lens panel can be just perfect. The strong (read: solid) front standard also make them perfect for experimenting with big heavy lenses - I have no problems with a 640mm Aplanat or a 500mm f:5.5 Aerotar on my 24x30cm Reisekamera.

Many of them also close down to very very thin, meaning that you can use very short lenses, and still use full rise and shift on the lens board!

It present I only have two of these beasts, one 24x30cm and one 13x18cm. Unless you count the Gandolfi Universal as one, but that's more of a "rear focus view camera". Mostly due to the nationality of the maker than any real difference. ;)

cyrus
13-Jun-2011, 11:15
Sadly I don't think mine has any movements.
The lens, if I am not mistaken, is circa 1890's, right?

Fourtoes
13-Jun-2011, 11:53
I have one just like that and have used it occasionally for wetplate with no problem at all. Remember to varnish the inside of the holders to prevent any rot from the wet chems.

Ole Tjugen
13-Jun-2011, 13:42
Cyrus, the two knobs on the front allow you to raise and lower the lens board on one, and slide it left or right on the other. Loosen the knobs, move, and tighten to hold.

Some of these have small movements of the back too, swing and tilt.

Ole Tjugen
13-Jun-2011, 13:45
Oh - and it's hard to say with the lens. is it a Goertz? A Nitszche? Or even a Suter, or an Anonymous?

cyrus
13-Jun-2011, 14:30
Oh - and it's hard to say with the lens. is it a Goertz? A Nitszche? Or even a Suter, or an Anonymous?

no name.

Ole Tjugen
13-Jun-2011, 14:42
no name.

Anonymous - that means all bets are off, it could be any time between 1865 and 1935.

Steven Tribe
13-Jun-2011, 14:42
For us interested in reisekameras - could you post more photos please?

1. I remember an earlier thread about an anon. rapid aplanat series "E" - which wasn't from Busch.

2. Objective size 3 was usually reserved for 18x24cm plate sizes.

3. Most have brass supports in front - this doesn't.

4. Looks like the rotating bellows/extra side catches type of portrait/landscapes shifts type as the bellows quite a lot towards the front standard. But the visable brasswork suggests it is the other type where two catches allow the back to be turned 90 degrees.

5. Made mostly from 1890 - 1920, although the soviet union made them post WII . I have often found format adapting inserts in the plate holders. Holders are not standard unfortunately!

and 6. Look for square holes halfway across, when you take off the back - at the edge. Many of these were mono/stereo cameras.a

Sevo
13-Jun-2011, 14:50
I think its actually "Max Kornbogen"

That letter looks very, very much like a H to me. Besides, Google finds more than a thousand references to "Hornbogen" +Apolda, which is quite a lot for an odd name in a smallish town - by contrast the only "Kornbogen" is a link to this thread.

cyrus
13-Jun-2011, 19:41
Yes upon closer inspection it probably is h not k. Gothic letters. I'll post more photos. Can someone suggest a lens? Hopefully another of the same? Also how do you lock the rail down?

cyrus
14-Jun-2011, 08:13
For us interested in reisekameras - could you post more photos please?

Sure and yes the bellows rotates to landscape layout. Sorry about the disorganized clutter surrounding the camera - I am still setting up my darkroom.

cyrus
14-Jun-2011, 08:15
More pix - the last one here shows the bottom or side trim around the glass, which has what appears to the "50" or "5G" embossed on the wood. Not sure why.

cyrus
14-Jun-2011, 08:18
Last pix

Steven Tribe
14-Jun-2011, 08:50
Looks like a well made 13x18 rotating type. The lack of brassware means they had confidence in the wood joinery but restricts geometry available for composition.

50 could mean model number or assembly number (all wood parts that match exactly are stamped 50 or 49 etc,).

Don't give up the objective - reglueing an aplanat is not difficult as long as the cells can be unscrewed.

cyrus
14-Jun-2011, 09:20
Don't give up the objective - reglueing an aplanat is not difficult as long as the cells can be unscrewed.

Yeah the bellows rotates easily but I can't figure out how to lock down the focus. In any case, wanna reglue the lens for me?:) I really don't know much about bronze lenses!

Steven Tribe
14-Jun-2011, 11:30
Screw out one of the cells and post a photo of the inside edge. Many lenses can just be unscrewed. If it is the easy type, then just send the 2 + 2 lenses to me for repair. Turn round would be about a week (plus postal times!).

cyrus
14-Jun-2011, 11:58
Screw out one of the cells and post a photo of the inside edge. Many lenses can just be unscrewed. If it is the easy type, then just send the 2 + 2 lenses to me for repair. Turn round would be about a week (plus postal times!).

Nothing unscrews on this thing! How about if I just send you the lens?

Steven Tribe
14-Jun-2011, 12:15
No no! Postal charges + vat!

There are, unfortunately some RR/Aplanats that have lens cells that are not meant to be "serviced". Getting the lens cells off the barrel is always possible but can be difficult. One to hold and another to turn can help. Or self-clamping hard rubber strips or even pipe wrenchs with plenty of thick/friction material under the two jaws.

cyrus
14-Jun-2011, 14:19
No no! Postal charges + vat!

There are, unfortunately some RR/Aplanats that have lens cells that are not meant to be "serviced". Getting the lens cells off the barrel is always possible but can be difficult. One to hold and another to turn can help. Or self-clamping hard rubber strips or even pipe wrenchs with plenty of thick/friction material under the two jaws.

VAT for a 100+ year old lens that is being sent for repair and will be returned? Dem laws is crazy! There is no "sale" so what is being taxed?

Steven Tribe
14-Jun-2011, 14:55
The "over 100 years" note on the green sticker does sometimes works - sometimes doesn't.
Things sent for loan/repair will always have the handling charge/VAT etc. added. They will consider a refund against documentary evidence - this refund takes approximately 1 year - based on my experience!

cyrus
14-Jun-2011, 16:46
And this is "good" for the economy? Lol. Oh well.