PDA

View Full Version : 4x5 film holders: are they all the same?

drums1977
13-Jun-2011, 00:00
Morning everyone,

I'm about to purchase some film holders. I am not going to go for the wooden ones and, in the plastic world, they all look very similar. I've read that Fidelity, Lisco, and some other are even built by the same people; I've also read that the Toyos are "better", but they all look the same to me! A flat, leakless film is vital, but, really, are there any difference between all of these? What's your experience?

Cheers!

edtog
13-Jun-2011, 00:11
I've got a few and always use the Toyo ones first followed by the plastic Fidelity ones.
Don't know why but they just feel better.

Daniel Stone
13-Jun-2011, 00:13
I've NEVER had a problem with Fidelity or Lisco Regal/Regal II holders

IMO, Toyo 4x5 and 8x10 holders are built well, but massively overpriced. But that's purely MY opinion, I'm sure some will highly disagree ;). I bought most of my 4x5 holders for $4-5 each, mostly through Craigslist.

deals are out there, and if properly cared for, film holders will last THOUSANDS of sheets EACH without a problem. They were designed for high usage, and the majority of us here will never use the amount of film in them that some commercial pro's did back in "the day" when 4x5 and 8x10 chromes were the norm.

having a nice spring back on your camera helps keep the holder tight too :).

-Dan

drums1977
13-Jun-2011, 02:05
Yes, that is what it looks like, thanks!

archer
13-Jun-2011, 02:14
I have used every make holder there is and I do prefer the Toyo holders for their consistency but I have only used new Toyo holders so I really can't comment on other makes since I've never used new holders from other makers. One thing I can comment on is the weight of the Toyo holders which seem noticeably heavier than other makes. If you can find used holders from Rightway, Lisco, Fidelity, etc. and they are clean and not abused, you should have no problems and can usually find excellent examples for 5 to 8 dollars which is a lot less than the Toyo which new are about $45 for a single holder. Freestyle has new Toyo holders for $68 for two and that's a good price.
Denise Libby

IanG
13-Jun-2011, 02:26
All modern International 5x4 film holders are similar with one exception. Some MPP holders (and early MPP cameras) have a non standard film plane register so focus can be out if your not aware of this.

Ian

Richard Mahoney
13-Jun-2011, 02:30
Morning everyone,

I'm about to purchase some film holders. I am not going to go for the wooden ones and, in the plastic world, they all look very similar. I've read that Fidelity, Lisco, and some other are even built by the same people; I've also read that the Toyos are "better", but they all look the same to me! A flat, leakless film is vital, but, really, are there any difference between all of these? What's your experience?

Cheers!

Personally -- and not without flinching -- I'd just contact Badger and order some new Toyos. The quality is there and -- thinking long term -- they are not *really* all that expensive, especially when you make a realistic assessment of all the other costs associated with shooting sheet film. I simply cannot afford to risk ruining film due to poor quality or tired film holders so -- funds permitting -- wouldn't hesitate to order Toyos.

Kind regards,

Richard