PDA

View Full Version : Reversal processing B&W film.

Tony Lakin
12-Jun-2011, 05:30
HI
I wish to reverse process a few sheets of FP4+ using Ilfords formula which uses re-exposure to light for the reversal exposure, I have a few bottles of E6 reversal bath, could this be used as a chemical reversal alternative?

Thanks.

johnielvis
12-Jun-2011, 05:47
I think the reversal bath step is not a bleaching step---you need bleach---will e-6 bleach work? I don't think even that will work since there is also a fixing step afterwards--you neeed a bleach that will dissolvethe metallic silver developed in the 1st development step.

dichromate or permaganate---go for the dichromate, trust me--that's all I use--I've been doing reversal for quite a while.don't screw around trying to substitute--these are not that difficult to get and work perfectly and flawlessly (dichromate)...permaganate deteriorates quickly--I don't like that.

fp4 needs MOre exposure than 125 by the way to get the dmax you need for a good looking picture.

Helen Bach
12-Jun-2011, 09:30
The E-6 reversal bath active ingredient is stannous chloride, isn't it? That works with most films as a replacement for the reversing exposure. Obviously it doesn't do any of the other steps, but I think that all you are asking about is the reversal step.

Best way is to do a test to see which gives the best results for you.

Best,
Helen

Tony Lakin
13-Jun-2011, 00:15
Thankyou for your help:) , Helen is correct, I will conduct a test using the E6 reversal bath as an alternative to re-exposure.

johnielvis
13-Jun-2011, 07:26
OH....now I see what you're talking about...

hey--let us know how that works ok--do you get more dmax/fog than with light reversal is what I'm interested in