PDA

View Full Version : (sort of) new to LF and thinking about lenses

p-trick
12-Jun-2011, 05:21
I'm new to LF in the sense that I may be buying a Linhof Technica III (I know about the lack of interchangeability with later models, and don't mind for now).

I'm not entirely new to LF: I learned using view camera's many years ago with the Sinar F and X, but never owned one of these.

Basically, if I "win" the auction for the Technika III, my plan is to first see which lens-plate's I can get, and then look for lenses that will fit in.

So now for the questions:

(1) Any thoughts on getting lensboards from skgrimes?
(2) Suggestions for a first lens? (on smaller formats, I'm a standard to semi-wide adept, so I'd first look into the 100-150 area)
(3) Any other thoughts and suggestions?

And for the background: my main aim is to get my LF skills back where they where 10+ years ago, and have some fun. My budget matches these limited ambitions.
For now, I'm not equipped to enlarge 4x5 negatives and will contact-print for black and white, and perhaps also try out a bit of colour (there's a good traditional colour-lab in Brussels where they develop C41 in-house and still print with the enlarger).
Preferred subjects: city/land-scape and perhaps also a bit of portrait.

sully75
12-Jun-2011, 06:51
Foma 400 has a lot of bang for the buck as far as film goes. Not sure if the shipping charges would kill you from the US, but Arista.edu is the same stuff and sold super cheap from freestyle photo in the US.

Steve Barber
12-Jun-2011, 08:41
Much as I appreciate the people at S. K. Grimes, I would start by looking at eBay for one already bored to the diameter needed or putting a WTB listing in the classifieds here.

For a lens, I really like the 135mm f5.6 Rodenstock APO-Sironar-S. For less money, the N version or the Caltar II-N, I think it is, for the same lens as the Sironar-N. Schneider does not list a 135mm in the current APO-Symmar-L, but they did have a Symmar version that should be relatively inexpensive, bought used, and worth looking for. On the other hand, I would want something more like a 210 or 240mm lens for portraits and I would look for something that focal length, but for little money and be more interested in image quality than state of the art coverage and resolution. In fact, what you might do for a portrait lens is to check your local dime store for a magnifying glass lens and see what you can do with that. Searching here, I came up with a reference to what I am thinking of, Mark Sawyer’s examples, but they were in View Camera magazine, not a thread here as I thought it might have been:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?p=430485&highlight=magnifying+lens+portraits#post430485

Anyway, take a look and, if it interests you, follow up on what is posted in that thread.

In any event, seriously consider the 210mm as your second lens. It and a 90mm, in that order are, for me, the most useful lenses for city/landscape imaging on 4x5.

p-trick
15-Jun-2011, 04:16
Thanks for the feedback.

Just one more question: should I stay away from lenses like the original symmar, or the kodak ektar 127 and 203? (if I want some movements, and a flare-resistant lens)

Noah A
15-Jun-2011, 04:42
For urban landscapes you shouldn't overlook a 115/120mm lens. There are only a few options--the 115 Grandagon is what I use but the 120 Nikkor SW is said to be a wonderful lens and is available new at B&H for a relatively good price (but shop around, I've seen used ones on ebay going for almost as much as a new one at B&H!) I believe there's a super-angulon 120 as well.

The 120 plasmats, like the Apo-Symmar, don't have enough coverage. But the wide angle design lenses like the Nikkor SW, Grandagon and Super Angulon have TONS of extra coverage which comes in handy for working in urban environments. The focal length represents a gentle wide angle which can fit a lot in the frame without looking like a wide lens.

The 135mm lenses don't have as much coverage. The pricey and excellent 135 Apo-Sironar-S has the most.

Add a 210mm as a second lens and you can probably shoot just about anything.

Alternatively, you could go with a 90, (135 or 150) and 210 combo. I have 90, 115, 150 and 210mm lenses and most of the time for urban work I use the 120 and 210.

I don't know about the older lenses you mentioned, but I'm sure others will chime in.

Ole Tjugen
15-Jun-2011, 08:51
Thanks for the feedback.

Just one more question: should I stay away from lenses like the original symmar, or the kodak ektar 127 and 203? (if I want some movements, and a flare-resistant lens)

don't worry about older lenses. The difference between single-coating and multicoating is minimal, only no coating at all makes a significant difference.

Oh - and if you want a 120mm-ish lens with enough coverage for movements, I would recommend an old 120/6.3 Angulon over the 120mm Super Angulon: the Super has too much coverage, and may give lower contrast due to reflections inside the camera!

GPS
15-Jun-2011, 11:13
Thanks for the feedback.

The Ektar 203 covers 216mm @ f22 - enough to cover 5x7 format. It is a coated lens with very good reviews. Flare you can efficiently control with a good lens hood that is more important than coating itself contrary to the general amateur knowledge. Learn, if you can, to judge a quality of a lens from your own photography rather than from negative hearsays.

cyberjunkie
15-Jun-2011, 18:22

I agree with the advices other users have given.
Just a small additional consideration. The 203mm Ektar is a very good performer (better if a latter, coated example) even for close-ups, being a symmetric design.
The same applies to single-coated, convertible 135mm Symmars. Being fitted in No.0 shutter, the elements can be reversed, to get good correction at 1:1 and more.
The back element doubles as a nice, softish portrait lens for 4x5". If you want to use the Technika handheld, at least sometimes, a III cam for a convertible Symmar is not impossible to find, with little patience.

Ahh, sent you a PM, Re: Super Technika III v5.

habe fun

CJ

p-trick
28-Jun-2011, 01:03
I'm now one step closer to being able to use my Technika III: A lens is on its way...

This means I have a new question: the lens I bought is a Kodak Ektar 203mm, in a so-called 370 mount with a Prontor-svs shutter.

Based on what I've read in other posts, this means that:
(a) the lens can also be mounted on a Copal #0 shutter, but
(b) that the Prontor-shutter will fit on a lens-board for a Copal #1 shutter.

Could anyone confirm this? (Or tell me what I need to check once I've received the lens)

p-trick
29-Jun-2011, 12:26
Update to my previous post: I clearly used ambiguous information. The prontor svs came in different sizes, and my Ektar 203 (which I received today) is fitted in a size #0.

Conclusion: I need to start looking for a size #0 drilled Technika III board. Right???

The only "problem" I found with the prontor svs is the lack of a lever to open the shutter for focusing. Guess I'll have to use B...

Sirius Glass
29-Jun-2011, 15:01
The only "problem" I found with the prontor svs is the lack of a lever to open the shutter for focusing. Guess I'll have to use B...

A locking cable release while using B.

Steve