PDA

View Full Version : Conley Portrait Lens Series II f/5.6 12in.

David Aimone
11-Jun-2011, 08:01
Has a serial number in the 5000's and is brass. Does anyone have information on this? I have been offered one at a pretty low $ amount, and was wondering if it's worth it. Always interested in older portrait lenses.

Thanks!

cdholden
11-Jun-2011, 08:39
Can you get a photo? Sometimes it's easier to identify it visually.

Louis Pacilla
11-Jun-2011, 08:47
Hey David

Are you sure it's f5.6?

Conoly did not manufacture lenses at all. They re-badged other manufacturers lenses so this may not be the right info for you.

The reason I ask if the lens is really an f5 is Conoly re-badged the Wollensak Series A / Vesta f5.This is a much smaller Petzval w/out diffusion When compared to the the Conoly series III ( Vitax f3.8 W/ diffusion)

The series II/Vesta is a terrific compromise of size,weight & price & most times comes in a working Studio shutter. Compared to the series III (Vitax) it's a dream in the field for all the above mentioned reasons.

usually the price for the Vesta is half that of the Vitax & since this is badged Conoly it should be priced even better. Great value in todays market.

Can you get an image posted ? This would help a bunch as Conoly/Sears re badged other manufacturers lenses as well.

Hope this helped a bit.

David Aimone
11-Jun-2011, 09:07
Sorry, f/5. I only have crappy photos of it:

Louis Pacilla
11-Jun-2011, 10:11
Yep. It's a Conoly Series II f5 Petzval( Wollensak Series A/ Vesta).

Great lens value. You can't go wrong if the price is right & from the sounds of your O.P.. The price is right.

David Aimone
11-Jun-2011, 10:54
$250 inc. shipping a good price? I'm buying lenses to use, but I want to know if I will possibly be able to resell it someday for at least the same price if I need to.

Yep. It's a Conoly Series II f5 Petzval( Wollensak Series A/ Vesta).

Great lens value. You can't go wrong if the price is right & from the sounds of your O.P.. The price is right.

Louis Pacilla
11-Jun-2011, 11:16
If the Studio shutter is working & the glass is clean. I would say it's a very good deal. As far as reselling goes. I think you will be very safe at that price. In fact, I believe you could actually use it for while & then turn it for a little profit.

You can't beat that. Try & buy a set of golf clubs use them for a couple of seasons. Then see if you can get a 1/3 of your cash back. probably not.

BTW- Cash is the what we use to but stuff w/.

Mark Sawyer
11-Jun-2011, 11:19
If it's in decent condition, in the current market, it would sell very quickly at the same price, probably for a bit more. Next year, who knows... I'd say grab it and use it! It's a vary nice lens to use, (I have the same lens, definitely a Wollensak Series A, but mine is labelled "Columbia Portrait Lens").

David Aimone
11-Jun-2011, 11:22
Thanks! :)

cdholden
12-Jun-2011, 13:48
Indeed. Worth every penny for the $250 if the glass is in good shape, regardless of what condition the shutter is in. Even if it doesn't work, it can still be used as a barrel lens and someone would pick it up at that price.
I just got one of these (Wollensak) in working studio shutter. I fired off a few shots, but haven't developed them yet. As others have stated, if you want the petzval look, it's very light and easy to work with compared to many other options.

CCHarrison
12-Jun-2011, 14:59
1908 Sears Catalogue

Dan

David Aimone
19-Jun-2011, 18:47
Ok, I have the lens. It looks pretty good, but needs to be cleaned up a bit. Glass looks good, just a tiny bit of separation in the front element, but I don't think it will affect the picture quality. Retainer ring and screws.

Now, the studio shutter is another matter. I don't know much about these, but it doesn't open all the way, close all the way or make quite an even opening anywhere along the way, but it does move, which is a good sign.

So, what do I do with the studio shutter?

a) figure out a way to get it working again?
b) gut it/take the guts out?
c) other option?

Never done this before. Feel a bit in over my head, but everyone has to start somewhere!

I'll post some pics when I have a chance. Got this from an older gentleman in Rochester, NY, who was cleaning out his attic.

eddie
20-Jun-2011, 00:11
The aperture controls the opening. Maybe it is not fill open.

I would say do NOT take the guts out. That would be a shame they are easy to work on.

David Aimone
20-Jun-2011, 03:04
I forgot to mention that the pneumatic shutter doesn't respond. I'll post pics tonight. Thanks Eddie...

David Aimone
20-Jun-2011, 17:32
Here is a short video posted to youtube on the lens:

http://youtu.be/7wh2PwikuGU

I'm not sure what's up with the shutter, but the iris blades seem to be intact, just not moving well.

eddie
20-Jun-2011, 23:28
It needs to be on closed to use the air operated shutter. U may be able to remove the air fitting and use a regular cable release.

Sometimes thy stick opening like that. Just open it up and clean all the lube out. It has jut dried.

Even if you do not get the shutter to work do not remove it as the aperture works. May be a bit long to open but the blades are all there and working. They all are out of round. I know a bunch of people that would want one "working" as good as yours.

Eddie