PDA

View Full Version : What size filter holder?

kansasjhawk
9-Jun-2011, 11:17
I'm looking to get a Cokin filter holder system. Hopefully one that will work on both my 35mm and 4 x 5 cameras. My question is will the Cokin P system be sufficient for 4 x 5?

stephen.taylor
9-Jun-2011, 11:27
It largely depends on the lens. I have several for my Linhof that have filter sizes ranging from 49mm to 77mm. So, if you don't have a camera yet, take a look at some of the lenses that you might see yourself using, and that might guide you. For me, the 210mm Schneider lens is the largest one I use, so I buy all 77mm filters, and just use step rings for all of my smaller lenses so I don't have to carry boxes of filters with me everywhere I go. I'm also kind of picky about what kind of glass I put between the world and my camera. I'm not a big fan of the optical quality of the Cokin stuff but that is personal and subjective so go with what you like. I personally use B+W, Tiffen, and Hoya filters for the most part.

stephen.taylor
9-Jun-2011, 11:36
just did a bit of sluthing... looks the the P series will come in a 77mm size so you could do the same thing with it that I just described with my filter setup. Look at the lenses you are planning to use and go from there.

kansasjhawk
9-Jun-2011, 11:36
I already have the camera and also have the 210mm Schneider lens as well. I have screw on glass (B+W) filters for most everything except (graduated) neutral density filters....which is why I would want the Cokin P or Z filter holder.

stephen.taylor
9-Jun-2011, 11:50
so the cokin P should fit with a 77mm adapter then I think.

David de Gruyl
9-Jun-2011, 12:12
Cokin P works fine for me up to and including the Nikkor-m 240. I think it goes up to 82mm.

kansasjhawk
9-Jun-2011, 13:48
What about for Wide Angle lenses? Any issue with vignetting with the P series?