PDA

View Full Version : broken aperture blades in nikkor lens

Discoman
9-Jun-2011, 11:10
I was just recently given a nikkor 600mm graphic arts lens that the previous owner just had no further use for. the aperture blades in the lens are coated in rust, and are out of the track or whatever mechanism holds them.
it will not open up or stop down any more than the current stuck phase.
the smaller coupled lens seems to have a special pattern in the blades, so I was hoping someone either knew the pattern or could point me to a repair guide.
about half the blades are not connected at both ends, and all are jammed up in the center of the lens.

oh, and there is this little metal lever that seems like it should adjust the aperture, but it just moves freely. I can see it rotating a ring inside the lens, but nothing happens. is it supposed to link to something?

thanks in advance.

actually, one other question-might i just be better off scrapping the current aperture mount and attaching this lens to a shutter?

thanks again.

Louis Pacilla
9-Jun-2011, 11:20
"oh, and there is this little metal lever that seems like it should adjust the aperture, but it just moves freely. I can see it rotating a ring inside the lens, but nothing happens. is it supposed to link to something?"

This is a filter/water house stop slot.

If it was my lens I would remove the useless rusty aperture blades & then make a set of WH stops & use the slot made to fit them.

Good luck.

BTW- The lens value is not all that great so I would not worry about removing the iris.

BTW2-To mount this lens to a shutter will cost between $400-$600 making it a $700 lens. Not very smart IMHO

Discoman
9-Jun-2011, 19:09
okay, so exactly HOW does the lens disassemble to remove the damaged blades?
my best guess seems to be what appears to be a retaining ring in the back, but no lens wrench I own can span the gap.
or is there some other way?

no shutter would save money, but then I'd need really slow film or paper or other in-camera medium, and most likely would have to buy a large packard to cover the lens.
ugh... either way i'm gonna pay.