PDA

View Full Version : Graflex 5x7 cut film holder

marcojoe
8-Jun-2011, 19:51
Does anyone know anything about a Graflex 5x7 Cut Film Holder. I seems to operate as the old 4x5 Grafmatic with pre loaded film in metal sleeves and has a leather bag on one end. I got it in a pile of old lenses and wooden glass plate holders from 3 1/4x 4 1/4. I can't figure out how the black leather bag works.

Roger Thoms
8-Jun-2011, 20:45
Sounds like a bagmag, this may help. http://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/holders/cut%20film%20magazines.html

Do a search for bagmag and also for Graflex Cut Film Magazine and you should find more info. I just got one, but have hardly messed with it, let alone used it, so I can't offer any practical experience.

Roger

rjmeyer314
9-Jun-2011, 05:57
The bag mags are simplicity itself. They come with a number of film septums. You need to take these out (assuming there is no film in it to start) and sort them by how you want the numbers on the back of the septums to run. You will only see the numbers through the window in the back (it better have a red filter material in or you're out of business). Make sure you know how to insert the septums in the holder so that the numbers will show. You can set it up so that the numbers will increase or decrease as you expose the different film sheets. Set it up to suit yourself. Before loading each sheet, in the light I use a can of bottled air to blow off dust. Then I turn the lights out and load one film septum with film. I insert it in the bag mag, film side down and facing the proper direction. Then I close the back of the bag mag and do it all over again. When using the bag mag the way I do it is to pull the dark slide, make my exposure, replace the dark slide. Then I use the little moving hook attachment on the outside to grab the film septum, pull it into the bag. Then with your hand by feel you take the septum and more it to near the opening back. There is an open slot inside the magazine that you insert the film septum into. You need to push the septum all the way in. Then when you look through the window in the back you will see the septum number of the film you just shot. (Now you understand about deciding if you're counting up or down.) Keep going as you're shooting pictures, just remember what septum number you're looking for to indicate you've shot the last of your film. A warning, check your bag before putting film in. These are old and many have light leaks. If it leaks light you're wasting film, you won't get any good shots. I have several bag mags in sized from 2 1/4 x 3 1/4, 3 1/4 x 4 1/4, 4x5, and 5x7. All of the ones I have work on Graflex SLR's. I've never seen one for Graflok backs. I also have a 5x7 bag mag that has been fitted to my Keystone F8 aerial camera. At any rate, make sure you have a camera that it will fit before putting a lot of effort into it.PS, I much prefer the bag mags to a grafmatics (which I hate).

marcojoe
11-Jun-2011, 17:53
Thanks, Roger. I just couldn't figure out how the black bag becomes involved and getting the film sheath into it.

marcojoe
11-Jun-2011, 18:01
Thanks for all your help. It sounds like it's lots of work. Also I couldn't figure out about the rod with the ring on top.
I think I'm going to put it on E-Bay and sell it.

Hugo Zhang
12-Jun-2011, 16:54
Would you like to sell it here in classified with a picture?