PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix 2 Knobs or 4 on Front? & weight?

rknewcomb
8-Jun-2011, 10:15
I've seen pictures of the 8x10 Chamonix. Some photos look like it it still front tilt and rise combined in one knob. Other pictures I've seen look like it has separate knobs for those functions or at least some sort of lock out knob etc above the rise knob. Which is it on the newer 8x10?
I also understand that the newer camera is heavier, but I don't know which information is behind the times.. The Chamonix website says 3.8kg or 8.42 pounds, that vender on the auction site says 5.12kg which is 11.28 pounds and some place on the web say something else.
Anybody know?
thank you again.

dsim
8-Jun-2011, 10:19
On the newer 8x10 Chamonix the rise and tilt are combined and the weight has increased by 1Kg.

vwizz
11-Jul-2011, 03:37
That is a sad decision from Chamonix.

I have been using an old Shen Hao 8x10" so far and would have liked to switch for a Chamonix, but since I tend to b using pretty heavy lenses, with often significant front tilt combined with high pitch situations (sometimes the camera is almost vertical), I cannot afford having only one control for tilt and shift....

I think I am going to pick a more recent Shen Hao instead....

V

Tracy Storer
11-Jul-2011, 07:05
Hopefully someone will clear this up, but did I read/hear somewhere there is a "lockout" knob to PREVENT heavy lenses tilting the front?

Bob McCarthy
11-Jul-2011, 07:25
The latest 8x10 has been designed like a upscaled 4x5 (45N-2). The baseplate is larger and more substancial than the previous model which was a little delicate.

It's more of a composite materials camera with wood trim than a woodie" in the latest iteration. I doubt you'll have a problem with lens weight.

bob

vinny
11-Jul-2011, 07:42
contact chamonix through their site. inquiries go to Hugo who is a member here. He's usually pretty quick with questions like this.

vwizz
12-Jul-2011, 03:04
Actually the main issue for me is not so much the confidence (I am pretty sure the lenses would not shift/tilt accidentally) but more the possibility to precisely set up tilt or shift separately.
Sometimes it takes a while to set up a correct sharpness plane, you don't want to lose your tilt angle just because you want a slight shift.

I have no issue with my 45N-1 because it's small and easy to handle, but when doing close ups with the 8x10 with my Macro Rodenstock, the bellow extension is pretty high so arms are quite far in front when you're operating the front standard: having tilt and shift on the same screw would make it very hard for me.

But then, if there is a way to lock tilt or shift separately (it's hard to tell from the actual pictures of the latest 8x10") it would be great :)

Cheers
V

Bob McCarthy
12-Jul-2011, 04:59
I'm guessing you are misspeaking when you say tilt shift as they are on separate controls presently. My guess is you mean tilt-rise.

If you're doing 8x10 macro, ie product photography, it would make sense to have geared adjustments to set the focal plane just so.

The Sinar P is the master of this world.

Regarding field photography, Ive watched my associate do this in the field with even bigger field cameras (11x14) and he never mentions this being an issue.

Me, my arms are not long enough, and/or I use back movement to make it comfortable when working in the field.

Bob

vwizz
12-Jul-2011, 12:57
Yes you're right: I mean front rise/fall, that's what I call "shift".

I do mainly portraits (but sometimes complex) and stills, mostly wide open, and my main lens is a 300mm Rodenstock macro, which is wonderful :)

I know Sinar are very precise but I need a very light and portable setup, and monorail cameras are too heavy for me.

Concerning the combination of tilt/rise-fall, I know for sure that if I mix-up the inner/outer parts of the screws on my current Shen Hao, I sometimes slightly/shortly lose my set up just because of the weight of the lens as it immediately goes down.
I'm not saying it's a major issue: I just reset it and that's it :) But, in the midst of the action, when I'm very focused, deep inside my composition, it can disturb me and break my concentration.
And, as I said, in some acrobatic positions (like standing on a chair with vertical camera at maximal bellow extension ), I would hate that :)

Bob McCarthy
12-Jul-2011, 16:35
Most of the single control cameras I have used allow partial tension/tightening to be applied which will stabilize rise-fall and still allow movement of the tilt axis. When focal plane is nailed a little more tightening locks everything into position.

I don't think separate controls are at all essential. I believe this is your solution and how the Chamonix is intended to be used.

Bob