PDA

View Full Version : Do Chamonix cameras need a focus lock?

rknewcomb
8-Jun-2011, 09:35
Is the focus on a Chamonix stiff enough to not need a focus lock of any kind even with the camera pointed downward? Is the focusing movement design such that over time and wear it would get loose or is that part adjustable for wear?
thank you!
Robert

Keith Pitman
8-Jun-2011, 09:41
It is adjustable. There is a set screw that can be tightened against the focusing shaft and adjust the stiffness of the focusing as desired.

dsim
8-Jun-2011, 09:41
I've never had an issue with the focusing knob even with the camera pointing down and there's also a screw located just behind the knob that adjusts the tension.

Richard K.
8-Jun-2011, 09:47
What dsim said...

Dave Hally
8-Jun-2011, 09:51
I used my new Chamonix for the first time Sunday. I had no problems with any slippage, even with the 300 M cranked out to focus at 5', facing down.
I did have a couple of "learning Problems", in that my first shot my have been fogged due to the film holder not being seated all the way, and, after rotating the back to vertical, I did not have the back in all the way, though it felt like it, it is a very snug fit. I feel it is just part of learning a new camera and had no problems with any of the other shots.
I had thought that there may be vertical slippage when using front tilts, but found that it is easy to loosen the knobs just enough to tilt the lens without dropping it down.
So far, I really like the camera, and my biggest (very minor) complaint is the way the front standard mounts, which I think will just take getting used to.
So far so good!
Dave

JON BUTLER
8-Jun-2011, 12:19
I used my new Chamonix for the first time Sunday. I had no problems with any slippage, even with the 300 M cranked out to focus at 5', facing down.
I did have a couple of "learning Problems", in that my first shot my have been fogged due to the film holder not being seated all the way, and, after rotating the back to vertical, I did not have the back in all the way, though it felt like it, it is a very snug fit. I feel it is just part of learning a new camera and had no problems with any of the other shots.
I had thought that there may be vertical slippage when using front tilts, but found that it is easy to loosen the knobs just enough to tilt the lens without dropping it down.
So far, I really like the camera, and my biggest (very minor) complaint is the way the front standard mounts, which I think will just take getting used to.
So far so good!
Dave
The Chamonix front tilt can applied without undoing the knobs, it's designed that way.
J.

engl
8-Jun-2011, 18:39
Thanks for that bit information. I'm a new Chamonix 4x5 owner and had some concerns about applying tilt independent of rise, but as you say, adjusting tilt with the knobs "locked" is indeed possible. Very small tilt adjustments are easy to do, rise remains unchanged, and it easily secure enough to not be altered inadvertently.