PDA

View Full Version : Voigtlaender Collinear

slotter
7-Jun-2011, 10:37
A few days ago, I bought this lens on flea market in Novi Sad, Serbia, for about 10$. Could not find anything on internet about, but here are some photos. If anybody know anythig about....

Steven Tribe
7-Jun-2011, 11:59
If you search for collinear series II, I am sure you will find something here!

The number (8) in this series has this focal length (25cm) and aperture (6.3).
The diameter of the front lens (glass) is exactly 4 cm. Covers the European 18x24cm and 8x10" - with a bit to spare.

It looks a bit different in form from the illustrations I have - so you had better check the glass dimensions! The lenses in the front and rear cells are identical and very thick.

Ole Tjugen
7-Jun-2011, 12:58
Two things surprise me:

It says "Kollinear", not "Collinear".
And second, it seems to be Serie I, not Serie II! I can't find anything about Kollinear Serie I, at least not today. Tomorrow I'll dig out a couple more old books and see what I can find.

One thing I did find is that the serial number puts the date of production around 1923-1924.

slotter
7-Jun-2011, 13:05
Thanx for informations, BTW it is written Kollinear, not Collinear :) here are two pictures, rear and front lens...

Steven Tribe
7-Jun-2011, 13:15
This is so late, that it must be the series II - the 25cm size was the first of the larger sizes that had the F6.3. The first Kollinears, before the Series II were introduced in 1901(?) are not well described.

Tim Deming
8-Jun-2011, 09:54
This is neither a Series II (f5.4-6.3) or Series III(f6.8-7.7) C/Kollinear. The collinears were redesigned in the 1920s (1923 IIRC off the top of my head- can check my source if there is interest) and the new lenses did not have a series number. All the redesigned lenses were f6.3, regardless of focal length, in black mounts (as pictured here), and have a taller appearance compared to early Series II or III collinears. They are less common than the early collinears as they probably weren't produced very long, but turn up reasonably frequently.

cheers

Tim

slotter
8-Jun-2011, 12:25
This is neither a Series II (f5.4-6.3) or Series III(f6.8-7.7) C/Kollinear. The collinears were redesigned in the 1920s (1923 IIRC off the top of my head- can check my source if there is interest) and the new lenses did not have a series number. All the redesigned lenses were f6.3, regardless of focal length, in black mounts (as pictured here), and have a taller appearance compared to early Series II or III collinears. They are less common than the early collinears as they probably weren't produced very long, but turn up reasonably frequently.

cheers

Tim

As you can see, this lens has series number, and according this number this one was produce in 1924. This is all I can found about lens.

Tim Deming
8-Jun-2011, 14:12
Here's another one on eb@y:

The 25 cm seems the most common, I've seen dozens of these now and again. The 30 and 37cm are also fairly common.

Tim

Tim Deming
9-Jun-2011, 09:17
As you can see, this lens has series number, and according this number this one was produce in 1924. This is all I can found about lens.

Just FYI, the number on your lens is the Serial number. Earlier Collinears also had a Series number marked on them, such as "Series II" or Series III".

Also FYI, my 31cm f6.3 Kollinear (with "k") has a serial number in the 177000 range (1921-1922?)

cheers

Tim

Ole Tjugen
12-Jun-2011, 12:48
I checked my German literature:

A 1921 book lists "Kollinear Serie II f:6.3" and so on.
A 1924 book lists only one, "Collinear f:6.3".

Looks like K/Collinear were used interchangeably before 1923, and only "Collinear" from 1924. That places your lens right at the transition, an early "no series" and last of the Kollinears.