PDA

View Full Version : Which Cambo 4X5/lens outfit to get for a starter?

osteri
6-Jun-2011, 21:18
I asked quite a few questions regarding this similar topic the other day and everyone was very helpful. But I am now faced with the actual decision of buying an outfit for myself (a 4X5 newcomer) and was hoping I could get advice on the best deal.

First, for $300 there is a listing of a Cambo of some variety (I think an SC or a 45NX -- unsure) with a Caltar 210mm f5.6 copal 1 lens. Everything looks to be in good, used condition.

Second, for ~$250 a Cambo 45NX in good but a tad scratched up condition with a Sironar 150mm f5.6 lens.

Third, a mint condition Calumet 45N with no lens for $295.

I want to do portraiture and landscape and utilize all of the tilt/shift/swing/rise movements. I'm looking for a good deal on a combo that will let me do this (i.e. a good camera body and a lens with a large enough image circle.

Thanks everyone!

-Ian

osteri
6-Jun-2011, 23:00
The links to the ebay pages are as follows:
1) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160599859313&category=15230&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619#ht_502wt_907

2) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370516814980&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1805wt_1141

3) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140560054392&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_922

aduncanson
7-Jun-2011, 07:03
For portraiture, the 210mm lens will give you a more conventional perspective for head & shoulders shots. It will serve for many, but not all, landscape shots. You will probably want to add something wider, perhaps a 135mm. This Caltar lens is a re-badged, almost-latest, just discontinued, Rodenstock Apo Sironar N and is multicoated. This camera has quite a lot of wear, particularly the edges of the lens' filter ring. It may still be perfectly serviceable. This has the revolving back. The wide angle bellows and even the illustrated Bogen hexagonal quick release plate are of some value, the cable release - maybe not. The seller has committed my personal favorite error, turning the front standard around 180 degrees. The lens board should sit behind the uprights. Not to worry, I have even seen Calumet make this mistake in their used listings.

The 150mm Sironar is not the latest version, but dates to the '70s. If undamaged, it will make sharp photos, but lacks the latest coatings and will require careful shading for acceptable (depends on your objective) performance under some conditions. The plain Sironar was designed for use "converted" to a longer focal length (probably about 265mm) with the front cell removed, sacrificing some sharpness. This camera has the re-positionable, non-revolving back. I believe that that Polaroid holder is now a door stop. There is also something attached to the underside of the front standard.

Alan Gales
9-Jun-2011, 15:46
Ian,

Check out the For Sale/Wanted section of this forum. Right now on the second page under yesterday's posts there is an add: FS-1974 Linhof Karden 45s.

Right now the Seller is asking $500.00 plus shipping for the monorail, case and 3 lenses. This could be a fantastic set-up for someone starting out! Linhof makes some of the finest cameras in the world. :)

Alan

rdenney
9-Jun-2011, 18:45
So, which one did you buy? I see the first and third already sold.

For your purposes, I agree that the one with the 210 would be the most useful starting point. That lens will sell for a couple of hundred by itself. With a decent used lens in the 150-210 range, the "new" 45n would end up costing you around $500. At that price point, I'd rather have a Sinar F or even that vintage Linhof, though Linhof accessories are not as available at reasonable prices as are Sinar and Cambo accessories.

If you want to use lenses shorter than 90 (on a flat board) or 65 (on a recessed board), don't get the Calumet. That's its one big limitation.

Rick "wondering how it turned out" Denney

Alan Gales
10-Jun-2011, 23:20
Hey Rick,

I always love your middle name! :D I also wonder if Ian bought a camera or is still looking.

eddie
11-Jun-2011, 01:46
mono rail cameras go for 75-150$ "modern" lenses in copal shutters go for 100-200$ for all the"normal"focal lengths.

when buying a camera and lens outfit expect to pay a bit less as it is a package deal.....

keep us posted on how you make out. post some images when you make them.

eddie