PDA

View Full Version : Winnie

Winnie
6-Jun-2011, 19:20
Hi everyone,

As part of my photographic evolution or perhaps de-evolution - tired of taking enormous numbers of crap photos with digital and frustrated at the inflexibility of 35mm film - I have decided to take the very great leap into large format and I ask for some advice from the great wealth of experience on this forum.

As I am most interested in wilderness landscapes, I want a light weight outfit, but I also want maximum camera movement. After some initial research I have considered purchasing a Shen Hao PTB 4x5 as it seem to be light, well made and reasonably priced with the added flexibility of being able to change to a bag bellows for wide angle lenses and with more movement than most field cameras I've seen - front rise, shift, axial tilt and swing and rear tilt and swing. So my first question is whether they are any good?

My second question is about movements. Other Shen Haos also have axial rear tilt and rear shift and rise. Are these additional movements more important than a 0.75kg weight advantage and additional 40cm bellows draw of the PB. The other models also seem to pack down better in an enclosed rear box, while the PB seems to be a bit more exposed when closed.

Am I on the wrong track?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Regards

Winnie.

Erik Larsen
6-Jun-2011, 19:43
Welcome Winnie to world of large format!

In my opinion (and there are sure to be other contradictory ones) if you are interested in landscape photos the movements you will need will be fine with most cameras. Rise/fall and a little tilt and shift and you should be set for 95% of landscape shots. I would be more concerned with bellows capabilities for the type of lenses you think you would want rather than extreme movements. The Shen Hao or it's equivalent Chamonix are perfect for you chosen application and both will do a fine job for you. At this point pick whichever one you think is prettiest:) For landscape work, the demands on a camera are not heavy. Bellows draw and ability to use wide angle lenses would be trump 3/4 of a kilo in my opinion. Keep an eye on the classified section of this forum or post a wanted to buy add and I'm sure the camera you are looking for will show up. If you are in a hurry, Midwest photo, Badger Graphics can find you a new one straight away.

regards
erik

Peter Gomena
7-Jun-2011, 10:36
Rear rise/fall and axial tilts are not necessary for field photography. Rear base tilts, front rise/fall/swing are more than enough. Lots of bellows extension depends on your perceived need for long focal length lenses or how much extreme closeup work you plan to do. My Zone VI 4x5 (5.5 lbs.) has 18" of bellows, which is plenty for up to about a 12" lens. When I owned a Wista field with 12" bellows, it was plenty for lenses up to 8", which is all I had at the time. By time you factor in film holders, dark cloth, bag bellows, lenses, meter, filters, other miscellaneous accessories, you will double the weight of your kit. I'd go as light as possible if you're really going to pack it into the hills.

Peter Gomena