PDA

View Full Version : Compound Air-timed shutters in high temps

renes
6-Jun-2011, 13:07
I have a few lenses in Compound Air-timed shutters, they work fine. I will probably take them on my holidays and they will work in sunny wether with high temperature. I am afraid of speeds of course, they will run faster I suppose. Should I bother? How speed correction should I consider to make? Share with your experiences please.

Ash
6-Jun-2011, 13:15
Are you shooting chromes/slides?

If not then don't bother. I don't trust any of my shutters and generally allow for at least one stop over/under in my negs. With that the results have been fine. I'm not so picky though.

Jim Galli
7-Jun-2011, 07:18
I have a few lenses in Compound Air-timed shutters, they work fine. I will probably take them on my holidays and they will work in sunny wether with high temperature. I am afraid of speeds of course, they will run faster I suppose. Should I bother? How speed correction should I consider to make? Share with your experiences please.

Take along something you do trust, like a good running Nikon FM body. If the Compound is in good shape, at least whatever it's doing should be repeatable. Trust your ear. Listen to the Nikon at 1/4 then listen to the Compound until you're getting the same thing.

renes
8-Jun-2011, 01:26
Thanks for advices. I have tested the lens with shutter tester and speeds are repetitive although not such as marked on the times dial. I have dial set Compur shutter with accurate speeds, so I will make comparison with it.