PDA

View Full Version : Waterproofing a darkroom

cyrus
6-Jun-2011, 09:44
In setting up my darkroom, I've been glancing askance at the fire sprinkers located on our floor. My one big concern is that someone will somehow trigger the fire alarm sprinklers, and everything will get totally soaked. (There are a couple of other artists' studios on my floor, and they tend to smoke weird substances! ;) )

I'm now leaving large plastic tarps over my enlargers and other critical gear in the hopes that they would save the gear from a total dousing (though I suspect the water pressure would tear them to shreds) but in any case I want to store 4x5 and 8x10 negs not using the clear Printfile binder inserts. I want to use the FoldLock sleeves (though apparently they don't come in Mylar anymore? WT heck?) preferably in some sort of metal filing cabinet that I can then somehow water proof (or make water resistant with some rubber gaskets.) Where is a good source for metal filing cabinets to fit 4x5 negs? (Or maybe a Pelican-type case?)

David de Gruyl
6-Jun-2011, 10:11
In setting up my darkroom, I've been glancing askance at the fire sprinkers located on our floor. My one big concern is that someone will somehow trigger the fire alarm sprinklers, and everything will get totally soaked. (There are a couple of other artists' studios on my floor, and they tend to smoke weird substances! ;) )

Automatic sprinklers are usually not related to the smoke detectors, but to temperature. A small piece of solder or similar low melting point material is used to plug the spout and when this melts, the water comes spraying all over the place.

On the other hand, you would do very well to store your negatives properly, in any case. There are plenty of other ways for water to get into a darkroom. Notably through the plumbing or the ceiling.

cyrus
6-Jun-2011, 10:16
Yeah I meant they may accidentally start a fire because they're not necessarily thinking straight, not that the smoke itself would set the sprinklers off. I know that one of them does soldering so it wouldn't be hard to imagine a fire starting.

David de Gruyl
6-Jun-2011, 10:18
At that point, I'd be more worried about the fire and heat damage. The fire has to be fairly close to the sprinkler head to make it go off.

Gem Singer
6-Jun-2011, 10:25
Wal mart sells a large variety of plastic boxes and containers with lids that seal tightly.

They are excellent water proof storage containers for negatives.

Wal Mart also sells small plastic filing cabinets. However, they are not water proof.

I don't trust metal filing cabinets to protect against water damage.

cyrus
6-Jun-2011, 10:25
At that point, I'd be more worried about the fire and heat damage. The fire has to be fairly close to the sprinkler head to make it go off.

I'm not really worried about the fire in another person's studio on my floor. The sprinklers will take care of it right quick! They don't sprinkle, they FLOOD! It's like a monsoon x 100. Anyway, there isn't much else I can do about fires. THe water damage is all I can minimize.

PS why does a metal card cabinet cost $1800!!!???

dsphotog
6-Jun-2011, 10:31
Perhaps a large Pelican case?

cyrus
6-Jun-2011, 10:39
Wal mart sells a large variety of plastic boxes and containers with lids that seal tightly. .

Ach but they're soooo ugly!

jp
6-Jun-2011, 10:51
A pelican case with some dessicant packs in it would be ideal for protecting from moisture. But pelican cases also usually hold items of high resale value, so it might be a theft target if left visible in an area of poor security.

I use regular binders and printfile pages. After about two years, the negatives get moved to my garage, which is detached from the house for better fire safety. It's got a dehumidifier in the summer as I live in a very foggy area. I keep backups of my digital files there too.

domaz
6-Jun-2011, 10:54
I don't think smoking is going to set those off. The only way to set off those sprinklers is to put a lighter right up next to it. Not to say they can't malfunction but you really can't insure yourself against every possible disaster. It's just as likely that a pipe joint could fail somewhere and cause a flood.

Gem Singer
6-Jun-2011, 10:57
Cyrus,

Do you want function or do you want beauty?

If you want beautiful function, merely wrap the ugly plastic containers in gift wrap and tie a nice bow around them.

BTW, Rubbermaid doesn't think their containers are ugly.:) :)

cyrus
6-Jun-2011, 11:47
Cyrus,

Do you want function or do you want beauty?

Well...my fiance would say, both!

But I guess a darkroom is dark anyway...

Jim Michael
6-Jun-2011, 11:56
Rent a safe deposit box at your local bank - for negatives, that is.

civich
6-Jun-2011, 16:40
The OP's worry is a very common misconception engendered by too many movies wherein the hero pulls the fire alarm or shoots a sprinkler head thereby setting off all of the building's fire sprinklers. - It don't happen that way! - If the OP's sprinklers have gone off it is because he's set his darkroom on fire and he needs to get the hell out! Each sprinkler head has it's own heat sensitive glass capsule filled with chemicals whose expansion can be tailored for various heat level sensitivities. But regardless of the heat level which will set it off - only it will fire until the heat spreads to the next head and activates it. There are some very specialized systems where the whole system can be fired either automatically or manually (a DEA evidence vault comes to mind) but they are rare.
-Chris

cyrus
6-Jun-2011, 20:43
Ah! Good to know! So if my neighbor sets off his sprinklers mine won't necessarily go off. That's a bit of peace of mind cuz I've been glancing askance at my neighbors too!

Harold_4074
7-Jun-2011, 16:31
In lieu of a waterproof filing cabinet (which probably doesn't exist) consider looking for a defunct upright deep freeze. The more modern ones (<25 years old) have magnetic strip gaskets which are essentially airtight when closed. You can probably get one for free from a local appliance dealer if they have a "buy a new one and we'll haul away the old one" policy; otherwise, try Craig's List. Reasonably clean looking, and they come with shelves!

bigdog
7-Jun-2011, 16:48
Find another place for your darkroom.