PDA

View Full Version : Duty/Customs from Hong Kong to Canada

SeanEsopenko
6-Jun-2011, 09:01
It sounded like the Business section would be the best fit for this question.

When ordering camera equipment from e-bay and it's shipping from Hong Kong to to Canada, if it's labeled as "photographic camera" on the item discription by the shipper will there be customs/duty charges? I know there isn't duty/customs when shipping from USA to Canada but Hong Kong is new to me.

- Sean

Daniel Stone
6-Jun-2011, 09:38
IDK about Canada,

but in the past 3 years I've ordered a great deal of things from HK dealers through e-pay, and I've NEVER been hit with ANY duties, etc...Just the normal postage rates(+ long wait times sometimes :o)

I think it might depend on what you're buying. For me, its primarily been lensboards/lb adapters, other misc things, digital scale, etc...

Now, if you're ordering something big, like a camera, that might be more expensive(like $1k), then there might be some duties. IDK however.

-Dan

SeanEsopenko
6-Jun-2011, 09:52
IDK about Canada,

but in the past 3 years I've ordered a great deal of things from HK dealers through e-pay, and I've NEVER been hit with ANY duties, etc...Just the normal postage rates(+ long wait times sometimes :o)

I think it might depend on what you're buying. For me, its primarily been lensboards/lb adapters, other misc things, digital scale, etc...

Now, if you're ordering something big, like a camera, that might be more expensive(like $1k), then there might be some duties. IDK however.

-Dan

I'm thinking of ordering a Mamiya 7II. It'll be about $2600 with the lens (65mm). If there's an additional 10% charge of some sort that'd be almost $300! Doing some research before I order.

Greg Y
6-Jun-2011, 12:41
Sean, The short answer is that it is really hard to say. It seems to depend on the carrier and then who knows what else. You're up for brokerage fees if you ship by courier. By post, in theory GST. I've had packages show up via post without any additional charges.

KenM
7-Jun-2011, 15:23
Sean, The short answer is that it is really hard to say. It seems to depend on the carrier and then who knows what else. You're up for brokerage fees if you ship by courier. By post, in theory GST. I've had packages show up via post without any additional charges.

That's correct. If you ship anything by courier, they *will* levy any applicable duties on the package - no exceptions.

As Greg says, if you ship something by Mail, there's a chance that you may have to pay GST. However, I haven't been able to figure out the pattern that Canada Post uses to determine whether or not to charge GST. I've ordered lots of parts for my R/C cars from the US, and almost never pay GST, even on packages over $1000. It's strange.

If I want something quickly, I'll use UPS Worldwide Express, and every time I have to pay GST...

For something like a camera, I'd be more inclined to spend the extra $$$ and have it shipped by courier.

Daniel Stone
7-Jun-2011, 16:19
couldn't the OP just buy a MINT+++ condition body from KEH and a MINT++ 65mm lens, and pay less than $2600? I don't follow ebay or going prices on this item, but I don't think it'd command that much money, even with shipping. Probably would leave some money left over for film?

-Dan

Robert Skeoch
8-Jun-2011, 11:10
I import things all the time. There is no true duty on camera gear coming into Canada but the broker fee might chock you.
If you have the item mailed the magic number is $1600. If the item is worth less than this figure it will show up at your house with GST added and a $5 fee from the Post Office. If the item is over this amount, it get's ugly. You'll have to take a form down to the customs office and explain what everything is, then they'll leave you to fill out a package of forms with codes, exchange rates from the date it was shipped, and duty numbers that are not listed anywhere except in a book in the back that you can't see. I usually set aside a full day for this... and yes you have to go to the customs office to do it.
So if it's under $1600 I have it mailed. If it's over that amount I use a courier and have them broker the item and I pay the fee.

Of course if the package said it was valued under $1600 and the insurance on the package matched.... well that wouldn't be honest would it.

-Rob

SeanEsopenko
8-Jun-2011, 11:14
couldn't the OP just buy a MINT+++ condition body from KEH and a MINT++ 65mm lens, and pay less than $2600? I don't follow ebay or going prices on this item, but I don't think it'd command that much money, even with shipping. Probably would leave some money left over for film?

-Dan

Yeah, this could be another discussion on saving money to put it towards consumables. My question was asked in order to resolve some of the ambiguity in duty & customs charges when getting product overseas. Based on what other people are saying the answer is going to remain ambiguous and whether I get charged and how much will depend on the whim of some paper pusher somewhere.

I'm going to consider this answered. Thanks everyone for the help.

Helcio J Tagliolatto
9-Jun-2011, 05:22
Folks,you are all lucky men!

If you live in Brazil you'd pay a fixed customs tax of 60% over the declared price, FOB.
If you order via courriers, like UPS, FEDEX, DHL, then you'll be charged for more 18%.

Chances are your packages go freely during all the process, but it's not that easy...