PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Camera Bellows

Noah B
5-Jun-2011, 11:47
Hello all, have any of you tried replacing bellows yourself? Is it a difficult process? I've got an 8x10 Wista double extension. Looks like it would need some glue etc. to install a new set.

Graybeard
5-Jun-2011, 12:15
Some cameras, such as the Deardorff, Anscos, and at least some of the Gundlachs have the bellows glued to a separate wooden frame at each end. The frames, in turn, attach with screws into the camera body. If this is the case, changing a bellows is pretty simple if you proceed carefully.

Hello all, have any of you tried replacing bellows yourself? Is it a difficult process? I've got an 8x10 Wista double extension. Looks like it would need some glue etc. to install a new set.

Bob Salomon
5-Jun-2011, 12:59
Wista service in the USA is 252 652 4401. Why not ask?

EdWorkman
5-Jun-2011, 16:46
If yours is glued directly to the standards, I recommend you make frames to glue the replacement to and affix those to the standards with threaded fasteners, for many good reasons.

Noah B
5-Jul-2011, 08:45
How would I go about taking the bellows off the standards? They're glued directly to the front and rear with hot glue or something of the sort.

Bob Salomon
5-Jul-2011, 10:10
See response #3

Ivan J. Eberle
5-Jul-2011, 13:57
I'd expect that someone contemplating DIY'ing a set of aftermarket bellows on the cheap might ask this question here first-- quite appropriately. Personally, I find these sorts of posts interesting, and welcome.

Scott --
5-Jul-2011, 14:01
On my Asanuma, I used a razor to remove the glued-on bellows, then glued the replacement set in with Pliobond. I didn't make frames to mount them. On a Wista, I might try something a little more conservative to remove the old ones, but then again, I might not... :rolleyes:

IanG
5-Jul-2011, 14:33
I've found that the bellows will usually pull away from the camera, sometimes bits rip but then you can gently use a solvent to remove the rest and any glue residues.

The Wista bellows will be attached with a modern adhesive and they are usually quite easy to remove. It does need care & patience.

Ian

DanK
5-Jul-2011, 19:55
I'm a bit curious myself...as to bellows replacement....

Currently considering replacing bellows on a 2D....and those I've contacted suggest sending the frames to them....I'd rather not let the frames out of my sight....(and won't)

Tips, hints, tricks, or suggestions....would be appreciated...

Thanks,
Dan

IanG
6-Jul-2011, 00:15
You could make new frames, and send those.

Ian