PDA

View Full Version : Cambo rail camera clamp

osteri
4-Jun-2011, 13:32
I am interested in buying a Cambo rail view camera for $299, but I am very uneducated about large format gear. It does not have a clamp for a tripod mount. Firstly, can someone link me to a good place with info on Cambo cameras and second, where I can get an inexpensive clamp. It is a square rail. Any advice or comments on the matter is greatly appreciated! I'm a novice!

Thanks
Ian

osteri
4-Jun-2011, 13:33
It is a 4X5, by the way.

David Karp
4-Jun-2011, 13:44
Depending on which Cambo camera you want to buy, and what comes with it, I would guess that you might be able to get a camera for that much or less that includes the clamp.

Alan Gales
4-Jun-2011, 14:10
You have the right idea. A monorail would be perfect for starting out and learning camera movements.

I don't know what you are getting for $299. Does this price include a lens? You can buy an entry level Cambo/Calumet camera with tripod mount but without lens for less than $200.00 on Ebay. These cameras are light enough to use in the field as well as inside.

osteri
4-Jun-2011, 14:17
David, thanks for the advice!

Alan, I do not know what it is. I will link the website of the shop I found it in and maybe you could inform me about it. It has nice movements and is in very good condition but does not come with a lens. It has a recessed lensboard mounted, but I would want to buy a flat one for longer lenses.

Here is the link: http://www.jimscamerasseattle.com/cambo-4x5-view-came.html

I'd be interested in what model that is if you could ID it for me.

Thanks a lot,
Ian

osteri
4-Jun-2011, 14:19
I also see this camera on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Cambo-Calumet-4x5-45N-Monorail-Studio-View-Camera-/140560054392?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item20ba083878#ht_557wt_698 which may be a better deal. Any thoughts?

Alan Gales
4-Jun-2011, 14:42
Cambo/Calumet made quite a few different models of cameras over the years. The two you are looking at are both entry level models like I suggested. I'm not sure of the model designation of the first camera but I can tell from the knobs that it is an older camera than the second camera which is a Calumet 45N. The second camera would be a much better deal.

David Karp
4-Jun-2011, 14:58
Another one to consider is a Calumet 45NX. It is the same camera with a long monorail and a revolving back. I think I saw one on Ebay recently. The 45N had a shorter monorail, the older style knobs, and a back that you remove and replace to change from vertical to horizontal orientation. The 45NX has more features and is often available at the same price as the 45N.

In Europe I think these cameras have always been called a variation of Cambo SC. In the USA, once Cambo came out with more updated designs, Calumet sold these under their name.

Dan Fromm
4-Jun-2011, 14:59
To find out about Cambo cameras, go to www.cambo.com, click "Downloads". Click "Discontinued Products" (lower left of screen) to get Handbook SC Cameras. Back at downloads, click 4x5 large format brochure.

The one on eBay is the better buy. If you're patient you should be able to find a used 4x5 SC for under $200.

osteri
4-Jun-2011, 15:47
Ebay is showing a 45N, a 45NXII and an SC at comparable prices ($269-$299). Which of these would perform best doing portrait work and medium range landscapes?

Again, the direction is very much appreciated!

BrianShaw
4-Jun-2011, 15:53
Any of them will be fine. A little heavy to tote but I sure you can work that out.

Alan Gales
4-Jun-2011, 16:05
Any would do just fine. Let condition and price guide you.

If you are patient you may find a camera with lenses, lens boards, film holders and a case for a good price!

osteri
4-Jun-2011, 16:16
Okay, great! Thanks for all the good advice! I'll keep an eye out and get something in the best condition possible. I look forward to start shooting large format!

David Karp
4-Jun-2011, 16:20
If I recall properly, an NX-II had the longer rail, but the reversing (but not rotating back). The 45NX should have a longer rail and a revolving back (which is a treat to use).

osteri
4-Jun-2011, 16:49
The 45N has the same style of revolving back as the NX correct?

David Karp
4-Jun-2011, 17:01
No. That was one of the ways that Calumet was able to charge less for the 45N. The back changes from horizontal to vertical, but you have to remove and replace it. Same with the 45N-II.

Of course, people mislabel them all the time when they sell them on Ebay, so you have to figure out what you are really getting.

I used a 45NX for years. This review discusses some of the differences between the 45N and 45NX: www.largeformatphotography.info/calumet/calumet-45nx.html.

osteri
4-Jun-2011, 17:53
That is an excellent resource, David. I appreciate the link. I believe the 45NX is a better camera for what I want to do.

Alan Gales
4-Jun-2011, 18:21
The second camera that the Seller labeled a 45N that you showed us on Ebay does have a revolving back. Look at the next to last picture. He says that he does not have the original box. Maybe it's a 45NX.

osteri
4-Jun-2011, 18:24
Yes, you are right. David, can you determine if that is in fact the 45NX rather than the 45N? Here is the direct link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140560054392&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_499wt_922

speedfreak
4-Jun-2011, 19:17
Try KEH.com. Really great deals! I buy only the BGN equipment as their rating systems very conservative. I've almost given up on the bay due to KEH and the buy and sell forum here. Really fantastic resources!

osteri
4-Jun-2011, 22:41
Thanks, I'll check it out!

aduncanson
4-Jun-2011, 23:48
Here is the link: http://www.jimscamerasseattle.com/cambo-4x5-view-came.html

I do not know if you are still considering this camera, but I can't tell from this photo if it has any back at all. For this price you should expect a rail clamp and a back. The prices of these items could amount to something significant. (I am very happy with the non-revolving back. changing orientation is a snap, it never occurs to me to orient the frame diagonally, and the non-revolving back is lighter as well as cheaper.)

Good luck - Alan

David Karp
5-Jun-2011, 09:09
Looks like it could be an SC of some type, which is not a bad things. It has the rotating back, which I loved. It has a shorter rail than an NX did (according to Calumet's specs), and the older style knobs. Functionally the knobs work the same. The later knobs had knurled rubber-like coating on them. They used the older style nobs on the 45N.

Different people have different opinions about the rotating back. I especially liked it in the winter when I was wearing gloves. Every camera I have had since the NX has had a repositionable back, and I have always missed the rotating back. Not that it is a big issue, but a nice convenience. With these old Cambo/Calumet cameras, you often don't pay extra for a used camera with the rotating back. I had a 45N for a while. I don't think you would notice any additional weight.

osteri
5-Jun-2011, 11:12
Found an NX with a Caltar II-N 210 mm lens, case, polaroid back, film holders for $250. Looks to be in good condition! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370515087742&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1785wt_932

Ends very soon so I think I'll snatch it up!
Thanks for everyone's input again, it really helped.

Ian

Alan Gales
5-Jun-2011, 11:16
Looks like it could be an SC of some type, which is not a bad things. It has the rotating back, which I loved. It has a shorter rail than an NX did (according to Calumet's specs), and the older style knobs. Functionally the knobs work the same. The later knobs had knurled rubber-like coating on them. They used the older style nobs on the 45N.

Different people have different opinions about the rotating back. I especially liked it in the winter when I was wearing gloves. Every camera I have had since the NX has had a repositionable back, and I have always missed the rotating back. Not that it is a big issue, but a nice convenience. With these old Cambo/Calumet cameras, you often don't pay extra for a used camera with the rotating back. I had a 45N for a while. I don't think you would notice any additional weight.

I agree. The later knobs with the rubber like covering are not necessary at all but they are nice. The same goes for the rotating back. Sure rotating backs add a little bit of weight (that you probably won't notice) but are a joy to use. They are also safer then risking dropping the back while wearing gloves or just being clumsy!

I purchased a really nice Cambo once with a 210, 135 and 65mm Caltar (rebadged Rodenstock) lenses off Ebay. The Seller took terrible pictures of the items. When I received it all everything looked close to new. The 65mm lens alone was worth what I paid for everything!

If you want a deal just be patient. I would watch Ebay, KEH, and this forum. They practically give away Sinar F1's on here which is another camera you should watch for. Personally, I would prefer the Sinar.

Another piece of advice. Any camera that you buy now you will likely sell in future. As you learn large format you will learn what you like and probably want something different later. :D

David Karp
5-Jun-2011, 11:44
If you got it, then you got a nice deal. You have everything you need but film and a dark cloth. You can use a jacket or a sweatshirt to get started. That 210mm Caltar II-N is a really nice lens, made by Rodenstock and equivalent to their 210mm APO-Sironar-N. The 210 Caltar II-N lenses seem to go for around $1 per mm, so there you have your great deal. The compendium shade will be very good to have. The Polaroid back is not of much use anymore. I have that case. It is really nice, and a good way to store your camera.

You may sell the camera, lensboard, and shade some day, and get most, if not all, back for what you paid for the entire setup. The lens and holders will work with any 4x5.

This is a great camera for learning LF.

osteri
5-Jun-2011, 11:50
A shame: someone snagged it from me with a couple seconds to go... Oh well, there seem to be plenty of good deals.

Any advice on this Sinar F? http://cgi.ebay.com/Sinar-F-4x5-Outfit-w-Fujinon-W-210mm-f5-6-MORE-/370515097826?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item56446bb8e2#ht_1788wt_1132
I can't tell how long the rail is and if it'll give enough extension.
Thanks,
Ian

Alan Gales
5-Jun-2011, 11:52
I once purchased a Sinar P with 210mm Schneider lens from columbuscameragroup. Everything arrived quickly and in better condition than described!

I have seen those plastic Cambo cases alone go for $70.00 on Ebay in nice condition. Like David said, if you won the auction you got a great deal!

Alan Gales
5-Jun-2011, 11:53
Pass on this. I have seen Sinar F's go for $200.00.

Alan Gales
5-Jun-2011, 11:55
If you want a Sinar I would look for an F1 or F2. The Sinar F's are much less desirable due to a weaker front standard.

osteri
5-Jun-2011, 13:10
Thanks, Alan. I am waiting for a bit to keep my eyes open for a good outfit deal, but I will probably get that new Cambo SC(?) with the revolving back and try to find a good deal on a lens. If anybody sees anything pop up in the next day or two, do let me know!

Thanks,
Ian