PDA

View Full Version : Voightlander Braunschweig Heliar 30cm F3.5 question

Dennis_H
3-Jun-2011, 11:16
I have recently 'inherited' a large format lens for what I'm guessing should be an 8x10 camera. It is a Voightlander Braunschweig Heliar 1:3.5 F 30cm. SN:366175. It's about a 4" diameter lens barrel with a 5.25" mounting flange. It's in very good shape, but I have no idea what it's worth or where to sell it. I didn't see any hits on ebay or google...

Anyone have any ideas?

Dennis_H

Hugo Zhang
3-Jun-2011, 11:35
Dennis,

Last one sold in mint conditon with wooden box for $500, I read somewhere. It's a rare lens.

Hugo

Louis Pacilla
3-Jun-2011, 11:42
Dennis

Put it on eBay 7 day auction to end on Sunday. No reserve & don't take offers. That's my advice. It's the only way to find it's true value.

BTW Ship world wide but insist on EMS & full insured.

Hope this helps

Dennis_H
3-Jun-2011, 11:53
Thanks,

Hugo, that gives me a ballpark. I kind of thought it would be a little higher due to rarity.

Louis, I'll give that a shot, but worldwide shipping scares me a little. What is EMS?

Hugo Zhang
3-Jun-2011, 12:02
It was from a dealer based in Europe who listed it on his web store. It is possible to sell it at a higher price at ebay as Louis suggested. EMS means Express Mail Services. It will provide you with a shipping tracking number in case of dispute.

venchka
3-Jun-2011, 12:31
Hi! Glad you found us.

Or, you could wait 30 days. You will then hace access to the For Sale section. List the lens here. It will find a good home and be enjoyed. And take real pictures.

venchka
3-Jun-2011, 12:44
Thanks,

Hugo, that gives me a ballpark. I kind of thought it would be a little higher due to rarity.

Louis, I'll give that a shot, but worldwide shipping scares me a little. What is EMS?

If Voigtlander serial numbers are in chronological order, the lens is relatively new. Ole placed the age of my Collinear II, #108xxx, around the 1908 range.

Tracy Storer
3-Jun-2011, 13:11
Links to this informative page have been posted before, it places the f/3.5 Heliars (Dynars) post 1925.
http://www.antiquecameras.net/heliarlenses.html
Some might crave the extra speed, others may prefer some difference in "look".

Steven Tribe
3-Jun-2011, 13:36
This F3.5 has less coverage than the usual F4.5 Heliar.
The catalogue quotes 16x21cm for the F4.5 and only 13x18cm (5x7") for the F3.5.
Even if Voigtländer understated its coverage, it is not an 8x10" lens.
People who want the "Heliar" experience on 5x7 have probably already bought them - so the first figure of value given is quite realistic unless there is "must have"/rare mania.

EMS is an international cooperation between certain countries postal services. I think it is mostly Asia and Europe - but by no means all the countries there!

eddie
3-Jun-2011, 14:23
Dennis

Put it on eBay 7 day auction to end on Sunday. No reserve & don't take offers. That's my advice. It's the only way to find it's true value.

BTW Ship world wide but insist on EMS & full insured.

Hope this helps