PDA

View Full Version : Is Quarter-Plate large format enough??

Ash
2-Jun-2011, 14:08
Before I go crazy and buy some film and upload photos.... do you lot count quarterplate as large format??

The auction site bargain got me a Ensign "Special" Reflex. I really like the feel of this little beast.

Also, to the 1/4P users: do you use sheaths in the plate holders, or do you risk sheet film without anything behind it?

E. von Hoegh
2-Jun-2011, 14:14
I was taught that anything larger than 2 1/4 (medium format) was large format.
This means that my Deardorff V8 with a Linhof Super Rollex 2 1/4 x 2 3/4 back on the 4 x 5 reducing back is a medium format camera.

Will they be nice photos?:)

Ash
2-Jun-2011, 14:25
The lens has a lot of "cleaning marks" like someone used sandpaper to clean it, so they will be soft and a bit flared. I hope the pictures will look nice though.

Although it definitely is medium format, I will use the rollfilm adapter to test the camera I think!

Kirk Gittings
2-Jun-2011, 14:27
I think she is asking what is cool to post in the main forums of this site, not what your personal definition is.

The forum:

For the purposes of this forum, we define "large format" as being essentially 4x5, or larger, sheet film. We do, however, allow what would otherwise be considered "medium format" sizes, IF exposed in a view camera (e.g. with a roll-film adapter), technical, or old-style press camera (e.g. the various Graphic cameras).

E. von Hoegh
2-Jun-2011, 14:34
I remember reading that when I signed up, about 4 x 5 or larger. Hence my mention of the Deardorff. Personally, I've seen some truly stunning work on this site. I wouldn't want to miss something due to a minor quibble anent film size.

Ole Tjugen
2-Jun-2011, 14:34
Another forum I visit occasionally defines LF as "more than 100 cm^2". That keeps 4x5", 9x12cm and 6x17cm well within the limits, and all smaller formats well outside.

The more rounded rules here seems to allow me to mention my 6x4.5cm Voigtländer Bergheil here, which I will - as soon as I can dig out the digitoy to take some pictures of it. Oh and by the way - does anyone know of a source of 6x4.5cm photographic plates??

Ash
2-Jun-2011, 14:36
She?!

E. von Hoegh
2-Jun-2011, 14:40
She?!

Uh - oh.

"Ashley" is often a girl's name, here in the once provinces.

Ole Tjugen
2-Jun-2011, 14:44
Ash is male, no question about that.

I recently had to step into another discussion on another site, to explain that "Andrea" is often female, unless the person in question is Italian in which case it's almost 100% certain to be a man.

And another case springs to mind, where the English language's lack of a non-gendered possessive pronoun caused some confusion...

Kirk Gittings
2-Jun-2011, 14:45
My apologies. I knew that. I've been pouring over files all day and am a bit warped.

Kirk Gittings
2-Jun-2011, 14:46
Ash is male, no question about that.

My youngest daughter is named Ashleigh, but goes by Ash.

Ash
2-Jun-2011, 14:46
Not the first time, and definitely won't be the last ;)

As punishment I will forever call you "captain" and will post quarter-plate images as LF!!

rjmeyer314
3-Jun-2011, 11:40
I was taught that anything 4x5 or larger was large format. By that definition quarter plate is medium format. However, having said that, I've found that quarter plate negatives are the smallest that I can use to get grain free sharp enlargements up to 20x24 inches with my darkroom equipment. Regardless of whether it's medium or large format, I use Speed Graphics, Graflex SLR's, and my Ansco view camera, all in quarter plate, as if they are large format. As far as I'm concerned the prints look like large format prints.

Ash
3-Jun-2011, 12:30
I love the camera, but I'm not sure the quarter-plate negs will be viable. I'm trying to find suitable donor parts to modify this with a 5x4 back.

Mark Sampson
3-Jun-2011, 12:53
I started large format photography with a 3x4 Speed Graphic. Even in the late '70s it was an obsolete format, but definitely 'large'. It's a sheet-film format, too, so I'd say that it qualifies for inclusion; and anyone willing to work with it should be welcome here.

Ash
3-Jun-2011, 12:54
Thanks Mark. I need to find some film sheaths or something to use the original plate holders. Struggling to come up with a low cost solution.

Leigh
3-Jun-2011, 13:08
... the English language's lack of a non-gendered possessive pronoun caused some confusion...
The English neuter (non-gendered) possessive is "its", as in his, hers, its.

Admittedly this is not an adequate substitute when the possessor is a person of unknown gender.

Not to be confused with "it's", which is the contraction for "it is".

- Leigh (not Ashleigh ;) )

rjmeyer314
3-Jun-2011, 13:30
For film try Kodak Electron Image film. It's 3 1/4" x 4", and will generally work in film holders made for quarter plate film. Expose it at 10ASA and develop in Diafine.

Ash
3-Jun-2011, 13:37
I can get Adox film no problem, but worried about putting them in the holders without a sheath.

In England if we aren't sure of the gender we use "they" or "their". It is non-gendered and polite. "It" or "Its" would not be used for a human, only animals or objects.

rjmeyer314
4-Jun-2011, 07:04
If you can only find glass plate holders you will need film sheaths. 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 film sheaths come up on Ebay fairly often. I have brought many film sheaths in various sizes there.

IanG
4-Jun-2011, 09:51
The German 9x12 format is definitely large format, the modern film holders are identical in outwards appearance to 5x4 dark-slides, the only difference is internal.

Older pre-WWII 9x12 cameras where often sold in the UK and US/Canada with Quarter plate holders, same film width just not as long/tall.

So Quarter plate is boreline Large Format, however film's only available on the Ilford ULF order so expensive, where as 9x12 is still a standard size sold on the Continent.

I've made an adaptor to allow me to use a Graflex RF back with my Quarter plate Houghton, this just slides in like a plate holder.

Ian

Ole Tjugen
4-Jun-2011, 10:01
The English neuter (non-gendered) possessive is "its", as in his, hers, its.

No Leigh, neuter is a gender. English lacks a non-gendered possessive pronoun, which is why you misunderstood. ;)

In Norwegian or German, one could say "Leigh jumped in his car and drove off" in two different ways, where the choice of word for the second "his" would clearly indicate whether it was his own car or someone else's. Also, it could still be unclear whether Leigh was male or female, as long as it was Leigh's car...

sanchi heuser
4-Jun-2011, 17:20
Oh and by the way - does anyone know of a source of 6x4.5cm photographic plates??

Hi Ole,

They have holographic plates, don't know if that's helpful:
http://www.slavich.com/technical.htm

Alternative: http://slavich.ru
language choice in the blue bar

Or ask at http://www.lumiere-shop.de/
they sold photographic plates some time ago.
Maybe they know were to get these today.

Andi

jb7
5-Jun-2011, 02:45
Isn't FP100 Quarter Plate size?

I wouldn't call it medium format, unless the camera cropped one or more dimensions to around 57mm.

While we're on the subject, might anyone know where I can find some Half Plate size film? And yes, I've searched extensively-

Flynnie
5-Jun-2011, 03:00
This place has Adox in lots of different sizes, quarter plate but no half plate, however they've increased their range a lot recently so they might add that size.
http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/adox-chs-100-art-19-c.asp

edp
5-Jun-2011, 05:32
This year's Ilford special includes half plate FP4+ and HP5+.

See also lumiere-shop.de for Wephota NP15 and NP22 cut to 4 3/4 x 6 1/2.

jb7
5-Jun-2011, 06:24
Thanks Flynnie- I had noticed the Ilford thing-

I hadn't noticed the Wephota thing, however- never came across the film before-
is it a re-branded something else?

It looks like it could be promising-

Ash
5-Jun-2011, 06:28
First time around I had a halfplate camera and stupidly got rid of it with the 5x7 holders. If you have a modern spring back and it takes the similarly sized 5x7 holders just use 5x7 with the crop.

jb7
5-Jun-2011, 06:49
Yes- well, I have the back, and the holders, but no more than that, for the moment...

edp
5-Jun-2011, 08:06
I hadn't noticed the Wephota thing, however- never came across the film before-
is it a re-branded something else?

It looks like it could be promising-

It comes in ORWO packaging; maybe it's coated by Filmotec. I don't know.

http://www.wephota.de/fotogra.htm
http://www.filmotec.de/

Ash
5-Jun-2011, 08:23
JB7 it'd be great if there was a way of shooting the FP100 on the quarterplate, but I think it'd need a new back to accommodate...

sanchi heuser
5-Jun-2011, 10:10
It comes in ORWO packaging; maybe it's coated by Filmotec. I don't know.

http://www.wephota.de/fotogra.htm
http://www.filmotec.de/

Here's a link to the wephota price list for photographic paper and film:
http://www.wephota.de/down/wephota/wepr.pdf

It's all in german so this may help:

andere Formate auf Anfrage = other sizes on request
Blatt = sheet
Barytpapier = baryta paper
Festgradation = grade (like G2, G3)
Gradationen: weich, normal, hart = gradations: soft, normal, hard
gradationsvariabel = variable contrast
Inhalt = content
kartonstark = heavy weight (don't know how much that's exactly in gsm)
matt = matte
papierstark = light weight
Preise ohne/mit MWST (Mehrwertsteuer) = prices without/with VAT
seidenglänzend = silk glossy
Seite = page
weiß = white