PDA

View Full Version : Maryland Transit Authority

cyrus
2-Jun-2011, 12:05
MTA Officers Detain Man For Taking Pictures

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2011/06/01/mta-officers-detain-man-for-taking-pictures/

He stood up to the police and they eventually let him go. ACLU etc etc

William Whitaker
2-Jun-2011, 15:10
I think that calls for a LF photo outing. Which station do we meet at? :)

Ash
2-Jun-2011, 15:21
"more training is in order" on how to detain people without conversation

EdWorkman
3-Jun-2011, 10:35
here's the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iMr76atjUA

rdenney
3-Jun-2011, 19:01
I'm in.

Rick "who can photograph a Baltimore light rail station from his office window" Denney

Thebes
3-Jun-2011, 23:02
"more training is in order" on how to detain people without conversation

More training is needed on how to taser people who "dis-reespect yuh authoriteee".

What I worry about is how much more often this sort of thing is happening. We only hear about it a small part of the time.

rdenney
4-Jun-2011, 00:19
More training is needed on how to taser people who "dis-reespect yuh authoriteee".

What I worry about is how much more often this sort of thing is happening. We only hear about it a small part of the time.

I dunno. I work in the transportation business, and I make photographs of transportation facilities all the time. Only once have I ever notified the agency of my intentions, and that was when I was a consultant working for that agency and such permission was a contract requirement. They talked of requiring permission, but I suspect their only justification would have been a vehicle stopped on the shoulder where that is illegal except in emergencies. I have certainly never been approached, and I've made photos of bridges, tunnels, traffic signals, transit facilities, railroads, and on and on. I now have the credentials needed to address any concerns, but I've never had to show them, even when photographing features to show others what not to do.

Rick "thinking these instances are rare enough to attract publicity" Denney

Ash
4-Jun-2011, 01:32
A few years ago (when the London terrorist attacks were still quite recent) I had to photograph at the local train station as one of the 'jobs' in my degree project. We have ticket gates so I had to ask to go through. They happily let me through and I took as many photos of the station as I needed to, and left again.

No problems.

A friend was questioned and stop-and-searched a year later in London because of the overzealous officers there.

Hit and miss.