PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions: 8x10 monorail case on a budget

Ari
1-Jun-2011, 19:27
Hi,
Can anyone suggest alternatives to an $850 case for a Toyo G 8x10?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/61049-REG/Toyo_View_180_885_180_885_Aluminum_Case.html

Military surplus? Build your own?
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

vinny
1-Jun-2011, 19:33
Containerstore.com
You can get an Anvil brand or similar type case from hollywood for much less than the B&h thing.

Ari
1-Jun-2011, 19:39
Thanks, Vinny.
Anvil looks pretty good.
I should have specified that it's not really for storage, but for use in the field.
I didn't see anything that looked all that sturdy on containerstore.com website.

Jim Ewins
1-Jun-2011, 20:23
Foam rubber wrap and a back pack.

Ari
1-Jun-2011, 20:27
Foam rubber wrap and a back pack.

Jim,
It's a monorail, and a heavy one at that; no backpacks.
I like your low-budget approach, though.

Frank Petronio
1-Jun-2011, 20:52
There are tons (literally) of inexpensive used Anvil and Anvil-style cases on eBay or other sources that cater to musicians, technicians, etc. The downside is that these cases are made from Plywood, metal, and a tough Formica-type covering, they get heavy. But you can build military bunkers from them if you stack them right. You're pretty much buying a dolly of some sort to move them around.

The next step lighter is the giant Pelican style cases. They aren't that expensive - $3-400 for an 8x10 camera size - and very rugged and mostly wind/dust/water-proof. Used ones can be prematurely beat to death though, the plastic does crack eventually. At least with an Anvil you can fix it. But the Anvil will leak compared to the air-tight Pelican.

On both the Anvil and Pelican style, once you get into the larger sizes then you are definitely into the Airline surcharge territory.

What professionals and rental departments use are the Anvils or the newer foam/Nylon Tenba-Lightware View Camera Cases. Last I checked their largest was over $500. But I remember buying a used one for a couple hundred, they are rare on eBay so sometimes people miss them when they pop up.

There are a few custom case builders who fab foam/Nylon cases for the ULF crowd, but you know they aren't cheap either.

If you are lucky you might keep the whole package airline checkable.

I guess the question is whether you want to carry the camera assembled, hung from U-frames and almost ready to pull out and shoot? Or are you willing to disassemble it to make transport more compact?

Any of the big boxes like this will require a dolly. I used a Kart-A-Bag, which I used to check back when it wasn't stupid to pay more in fees than what the Kart cost... Now, I don't know... car rides only? Ship ahead? Air travel with big gear is an expensive hassle.

Walter Calahan
2-Jun-2011, 05:19
Go to a music shop to look at various cases for musical instruments.

I needed a strobe "beauty dish" shipping case. Camera stores had cases costing more than the dish. Found a base drum case for $40, and padded it out with foam. Perfect.

Ari
2-Jun-2011, 05:30
Frank, thank you, that was very helpful.
I checked for Anvil cases, but right now, there doesn't seem to be anything in my size or price range.
And shipping those things to Canada usually costs much more than the case itself.
I should have specified that I'm looking for a case out of which I can work; I'm not really looking to ship it or bring it on a plane or anything. Just a day-in day-out working case.
I was looking for something that approximates the B&H's dimensions (23 x 13 x 22); I suppose if it's possible, I'd stash it inverted and assembled. But it's a big 8x10, so I don't mind taking it apart in its case either.

Walter, thanks for the suggestion; I'll be doing that too.
Thanks again, everyone.

cdholden
2-Jun-2011, 05:52
Check out the large Sinar Expert Case. I've been trying to find a case for my 8x10/5x7. My only complaint (and the one thing keeping me from buying one) is that the case is ~26 pounds empty. Add Sinar camera and a Majestic tripod, lenses and a few film holders... I'll be up close to 100 pounds. This far exceeds the weight I want to move around, so I'm trying to find something lighter, maybe a Tenba design or so to shave a few pounds off the end result.
Let us know what you settle on. There isn't much to go on when looking for info to choose a case that will hold an 8x10 monorail.

Frank Petronio
2-Jun-2011, 06:04
You might check some large tool boxes, larger ice chests, maybe even plastic RubberMaid storage container? Or look around a large store for a travel trunk, maybe even vintage luggage? Then make two dividers with U-shaped notches for the monorail so you can hang the camera upside down. It may require some ingenuity ;-)

I have a trunk from childhood that hoods my childhood toys, school projects, etc. that is made from lightweight plywood, like a cheap, light Anvil case. It would do good car duty.

When I shot a Sinar Norma 8x10 I had a Lightware 16x23x10 (interior) large attache style case, which could hold the disassembled camera pieces. It really wasn't that hard to assemble, they are still quicker than most so-called field cameras in use. You could fly with it, you'd want to wrap and pad everything though.

But for day-to-day I stuck it upside down in a plastic milk crate and kept some plastic over it for dust prevention. It could ride in the car like this and not slide around or get damaged, was instantly accessible, easy to carry, cheap, etc.

$8 Milk Crate, probably all you need!

Ari
2-Jun-2011, 06:18
$8 Milk Crate, probably all you need!

You're probably right!
Thanks again.

Ari
6-Jun-2011, 06:41
Wouldn't you know it, my 8x10 back is 18" x 18" (rounded off).
After an exhaustive search at every big box store in town, I have yet to find a box that will accomodate my camera. No plastic container is large enough or strong enough.
Any further suggestions greatly appreciated, and thanks to past respondents.

jackpie
6-Jun-2011, 07:25
Have you tried "Really Useful Boxes"?

http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/usa/html/onlineshop/fullrange_rub.php

Their boxes are great for many things.

Peter De Smidt
6-Jun-2011, 07:33
Ari,

I have a big Lightware case that I used to hold an 8x10 Sinar P. I don't have any use for it, as I sold the Sinar camera. It holds a Sinar style camera by the rail, with the camera hanging down between two dividers. In my opinion, it's great for working near a car, but it's too big and bulky to strap to a back pack frame. If you're interested, send me a pm.

John Kasaian
6-Jun-2011, 22:18
Check out military surplus vendors. Theres lots of cases made from heavy fiberglassthat housed all sorts of devices that can be modified to fit your camera and prices rarely exceed $15, and thats for a large case. Gun shows are good places to look for dealers since few really good Army-Navy stores are still around with the good stuff.
The best A-N stores I've seen in quite awhile are in Sparks and Elko Nevada. If you're in that area, check 'em out.

John Kasaian
6-Jun-2011, 22:20
Ari, what size case do you need? I mean the dimensions?

BennehBoy
7-Jun-2011, 02:53
A Peli 1440 snugly holds a disassembled Sinar P2 8x10. I carry holders, lenses & paraphernalia in a large laptop bag that sits on top of the peli against the handle whilst trundling it. Tripod & head is in a padded manfrotto bag over the shoulder.

Be under no illusions, it is heavy as hell.

Image attached below.

Ari
7-Jun-2011, 05:26
Jackpie, I will have a look at Really Useful Boxes, thanks.
Peter, I sent you a PM; thank you.
John, my rear standard is 18" x 18", and about 5" thick; it's a beast.
I have a couple of rails, three lenses, and five film holders.
It doesn't need to be a big box, just the right dimensions. I use a metal hand cart for hauling things around, so bulk or weight is not a big issue for me.
The military surplus stores here suck, no real cases to speak of, and shipping from the US can go as high as $400 (!).
Benneh Boy, that Pelican case looks pretty good; I'll have a look online at the dimensions, but can you tell me what the P2's rear standard dimensions are? Thanks

Thank you very much, everybody who answered.

BennehBoy
7-Jun-2011, 06:20
I'll measure it up tonight - will also measure up the peli interior dimensions with the foam in. Note that I invert the upper 'organiser' padding to act as a padded lid, you can see the edge of it at the bottom right of the photo.

Ari
7-Jun-2011, 07:05
Thanks, Ben.
According to an eBay advert, the 1440's interior dimensions are 17.10" x 7.50" x 16.0"
On paper, just a tad too small for the Toyo G's 810 frame, which includes the rail clamp.
Thanks again.

Ari
7-Jun-2011, 07:48
Ari, what size case do you need? I mean the dimensions?

John, the smaller of Toyo's 8x10 cases (for the G) measures 18" x 8" x 18" (interior);
the larger case measures 23" x 13" x 22".
So something of that size would work.

It's a camera that takes up its share of space.

Thanks

BennehBoy
7-Jun-2011, 09:06
Thanks, Ben.
According to an eBay advert, the 1440's interior dimensions are 17.10" x 7.50" x 16.0"
On paper, just a tad too small for the Toyo G's 810 frame, which includes the rail clamp.
Thanks again.

Yeah, the P2 back frame is 13.5" x 13.5" - it's easily removed from the rail clamp so I store it that way.

18" square is frigging huge!

Ari
7-Jun-2011, 09:25
Yeah, the P2 back frame is 13.5" x 13.5" - it's easily removed from the rail clamp so I store it that way.

18" square is frigging huge!

Thanks, Ben.
Yah, that's why I'm having a tough time finding a case.
I have to account for protruding knobs; on the Toyo, many of the knobs are mounted outside the frame, adding to the overall size.
Too bad there is no "one size up" from the 1440, as that seems to be the most promising direction thus far, and it's likely within my budget.
Thanks again!