PDA

View Full Version : Toyo 4x5 view camera

Chris Lange
31-May-2011, 17:55
Hello,

This is my first post. I am a newbie. I found out my school has a Toyo 4x5 view camera, so I just bought some film. I have not purchased film holders yet. Will any 4x5 holder work with this camera? I'd like to find some that are usable, durable, considered good, and not too expensive. Any suggestions? This will be my first time shooting 4x5 film.

Thanks!

Chris

Jim Jones
31-May-2011, 18:09
Most film holders will work fine. Newer plastic brands like Lisco and Fidelity are apt to be in better condition, but my ancient Graphic holders work just as well. Even if the tape at the end looks worn, usually the offset light trap will prevent light leaks. One occasionally encounters Graflex style holders with groves down the sides that fit only the Graflex back camera instead of the much more common Graphic backs.

Noah A
31-May-2011, 18:33
Any of the modern plastic holders will work fine and can be found for good prices. I use Fidelity Elite, but other brands are fine too. Some purists will come along and say one brand is better than the others, but for the most part they're pretty much the same.

Does your school provide holders? At my school they could be borrowed along with the camera kits. You may want to ask for sure before buying your own.