PDA

View Full Version : for 200 points...and the game: what lens is this?

DrTang
30-May-2011, 13:21
Just pickedthis up at a sale. Seller had no idea but the price was right

it's unmarked...but I thought it best to check before I tried polishing off the paint to check in case its some rare piece I just wrecked by polishing off the paint

anyway.. no marking anywhere - in a Wollensak regular shutter

thing I noticed is the front element sits far back into the barrel, the rear element is convex???

I held it up with my 5x7 and it focuses sharp and has coverage...my guess is it's about a 10"

OH..and aperture goes to f4.5

here's the pix:

http://www.mericphoto.com/ebaylf/wl1.JPG

http://www.mericphoto.com/ebaylf/wl2.JPG

Steven Tribe
31-May-2011, 03:36
Wollensak Orthographic?
The shutter is right timewise and the front lens is set well back. Both elements should produce a reasonable image. Camera eccentric has it in the 1903 catalogue - along with the Regular shutter.
I have no idea of the optical design - but others can help.

cdholden
31-May-2011, 05:21
Is it really f4.5 or just marked as such? I can only think of 3 lenses (though there may be others) that go down to f4.5 that might be seen in that shutter. The Series II Velostigmat, the Xenar and the Series III Euryscope. I'm not at home to compare against the photo provided.
The front glass that far back in the barrel doesn't seem like it would be either of these 3.

DrTang
31-May-2011, 07:08
It is marked that way..not sure if it's 'real' or 'usable' or not..the next marking is 6.3 so that could be it

Is it really f4.5 or just marked as such? I can only think of 3 lenses (though there may be others) that go down to f4.5 that might be seen in that shutter. The Series II Velostigmat, the Xenar and the Series III Euryscope. I'm not at home to compare against the photo provided.
The front glass that far back in the barrel doesn't seem like it would be either of these 3.

DrTang
29-Jul-2014, 18:58
FOUND IT

answered a craigslist ad for old camera stuff - and most of it was junk, just BUT

I picked up the camera the mystery lens is from

how do I know? there is an exact copy of one mounted on it

the camera? a military Akeley 35mm twin lens motion picture camera for following lauches of missiles and such

crazy thing is..that dang lens will cover 5x7 easy and probably 8x10

here's the movie camera I picked up with the lens mounted

Brassai
2-Aug-2014, 20:16
Wow! That looks like a helluva set up to do some birds in flight photography with.