PDA

View Full Version : What's good about those globe lenses?

tuant
28-May-2011, 21:12
I went to Dan's site, but still couldn't get a clear picture. Has anyone taken any imags with this kind lenses? Mine is still on the way. I will try that with wet plate in a few days.

Tuant

CCHarrison
29-May-2011, 02:52
The Globe was revolutionary in its time for its design. It was the first commerical wide angle lens that had a flat field with very low (no) distortion and it also gave birth to many later, better designs. It is a highly collected and popular lens, especially in the US given its US origin. In practical use, its a slow lens of modest performance compared to later wide angle lenses. Users noted flare spots in the center of the lens, ghosting of images, and lots of spherical aberrations. One noted optician/author in 1867 writes the Globe should be used at f/72 to reduce spherical aberrations to an acceptable level.

Here is one image taken with a Globe http://www.luminous-lint.com/app/image/8035427209109803854103/

and here is the image of the photographer taking the image above with his Globe lens http://www.luminous-lint.com/app/image/595560536209139367482977/

Dan

tuant
29-May-2011, 05:39
The Globe was revolutionary in its time for its design. It was the first commerical wide angle lens that had a flat field with very low (no) distortion and it also gave birth to many later, better designs. It is a highly collected and popular lens, especially in the US given its US origin. In practical use, its a slow lens of modest performance compared to later wide angle lenses. Users noted flare spots in the center of the lens, ghosting of images, and lots of spherical aberrations. One noted optician/author in 1867 writes the Globe should be used at f/72 to reduce spherical aberrations to an acceptable level.

Here is one image taken with a Globe http://www.luminous-lint.com/app/image/8035427209109803854103/

and here is the image of the photographer taking the image above with his Globe lens http://www.luminous-lint.com/app/image/595560536209139367482977/

Dan

Wow, thank you Dan! So it have more collectable value. Given their age and design, I would say that a scratch free globe should be hard to find. Can't wait to test my on collodion. F72 may be a little tough:)

Tuant

Steven Tribe
29-May-2011, 12:42
With the risk of offending our american friends - the Globe was/is considered a very difficult lens to use and considered an inferior/faulty design. CC has mentioned some of the problems.
But it looks different and has a catchy name.

This was not (just!) anti-americanism in the 19th century. Morrisón's wide angle and Zentmeyer's modification of the periscope were much better reviewed in England.

tuant
29-May-2011, 16:34
With the risk of offending our american friends - the Globe was/is considered a very difficult lens to use and considered an inferior/faulty design. CC has mentioned some of the problems.
But it looks different and has a catchy name.

This was not (just!) anti-americanism in the 19th century. Morrisón's wide angle and Zentmeyer's modification of the periscope were much better reviewed in England.

Thanks, Steven! I will try that out in a few weeks. Images will be posted. It is much easier to use old lenses with wet plate. After all, most of them were designed for that. It will be difficult for film in a shutter.

Jim Galli
29-May-2011, 20:46
I have never had one to use, but will note that seeing Carleton Watkins mammoth plates in person was breath taking. I kept mumbling I don't have anything that can approach this grandeur 140 years later. I believe many or perhaps most were taken with a Globe lens. If I'm mistaken someone will point that out.

tuant
30-May-2011, 05:50
I have never had one to use, but will note that seeing Carleton Watkins mammoth plates in person was breath taking. I kept mumbling I don't have anything that can approach this grandeur 140 years later. I believe many or perhaps most were taken with a Globe lens. If I'm mistaken someone will point that out.

Jim, I have two, one brass, one black, maybe we can trade as Eddie often does ;) ;)

goamules
30-May-2011, 10:02
When you get ready to trade, look me up too!

tuant
30-May-2011, 15:56
When you get ready to trade, look me up too!

Certainly, Garrett, any brass lens around $1200 can be considered. I can certainly trade one for something like that.

Tuant