PDA

View Full Version : central filter

Linhof
27-May-2011, 01:29
I shoot 4x5" format with Schneider Super Angulon 90mm f/5.6. Do I need a central filter?

Lachlan 717
27-May-2011, 01:42
Colour or B&W?

Do you use much front rise/shift?

Bob Salomon
27-May-2011, 01:46
Are you satisfied with your results or do you want to even out the fall-off? If you are satisfied you need nothing else. If not you need a center filter. That is why they offer one.

Linhof
27-May-2011, 02:01
I shoot with Velvia ISO50, mostly landscape. Sometimes notice the coners a bit darker than other area. When I shoot 8x10 Velvia ISO50 with Super Angulon 210mm, the light is quite even.

Joanna Carter
27-May-2011, 02:01
Simple answer is not unless you are really particular. For most people, there is really no need.

Bob Salomon
27-May-2011, 03:05
I shoot with Velvia ISO50, mostly landscape. Sometimes notice the coners a bit darker than other area. When I shoot 8x10 Velvia ISO50 with Super Angulon 210mm, the light is quite even.

The film does not change the fall off. The fall off is a characteristic of modern wide angle lenses like yours. The scene that you shoot may make the fall off more or less visible and the movements that you apply will also.

So if they bother you get the filter. If they do not bother you and you can dodge or burn to reduce the fall off then don't get the filter.

Kerry L. Thalmann
27-May-2011, 11:41
The film does not change the fall off. The fall off is a characteristic of modern wide angle lenses like yours.

This is technically correct - the fall off is a function of the lens. However, how the fall off looks on film is very much a function of the film being used. The hot spot/fall off will be more apparent on a high contrast film with less exposure latitude, like Velia, than on a lower contrast black and white or color negative film.

But, Bob is right, ultimately it's a matter of user preference and sensitivity to the hot spot. You really need to try it yourself to see if YOU need a center filter.

Kerry