PDA

View Full Version : Questions about a Deardorff.

Nick Ahlgrim
26-May-2011, 19:02
So I recently picked up about 1/4 of a Deardorff V8 (front extension with hardware and 8x10 back) and am planning on building the parts that are needed to complete the camera. I have already bought some Honduran Mahogany (I hope thats what its made of) and need to figure out the dimensions of a few of the parts.

I am going to order the metal work, but think I can handle the woodwork.

Going to start with the front standard / lens board. I hope someone can tell me the height/width and thickness of the parts in the lens board assembly and the dimensions of the channels and rabbits control the rise / fall. I would also like to know how the knob that controls rise and fall grasps the board.

Don't know how old the parts that I have are. It has front swing, so I am assuming it was made after 1950. I want to make this as original as possible, going for an exact duplicate of what the camera would have looked complete. So if anyone has an idea what specific components match up with the parts I've got that would be a huge help.

One weird thing I have found is a stamp on the bottom of the front extension that reads "JG", I don't know if this came from the factory or if it was from a previous owner.

Any information will help.

Thanks

William Whitaker
26-May-2011, 19:50
JG on this forum usually refers to Jim Galli. ;) But probably not this time...

Nick Ahlgrim
26-May-2011, 20:49
Darn Will.

I wrote this long detailed reply to your original message and then the whole basis for my response you edited out, So I had to delete my post in order to save myself from looking insane.

Thom Bennett
26-May-2011, 21:25
When I rebuilt mine years ago I found some initials underneath the front swing hardware (I have them written down somewhere) and I asked Jack Deardorff about it. He told me the guy's name, how long he had worked at the Deardorff factory, etc. Perhaps Ken Hough knows the same info.

Nick Ahlgrim
26-May-2011, 21:36
Thanks Thom.

I just got a message from Ken, He said it was a marking from an employee named Jose Garza.

c.d.ewen
26-May-2011, 21:46
JG on this forum usually refers to Jim Galli. ;) But probably not this time...

This thought just crossed my mind: if Jim marked everything that passed through his hands, would future archaeologists surmise that he was just another Kilroy? :D

Charley

MIke Sherck
27-May-2011, 05:48
This thought just crossed my mind: if Jim marked everything that passed through his hands, would future archaeologists surmise that he was just another Kilroy? :D

Charley

Wouldn't Jim have to mark it "LGM" (Little Green Men)? Now that would confuse tomorrow's boffins! ;)

Mike

William Whitaker
27-May-2011, 07:05
Darn Will.

I wrote this long detailed reply to your original message and then the whole basis for my response you edited out, So I had to delete my post in order to save myself from looking insane.

That's me! Darn Will! ;)

Sorry about that. I didn't think anyone actually read the stuff I write! In reading back over what I'd written, I thought it sounded perhaps a little too judgmental, so I deleted it. But my reaction was genuine, so in the interest of the forum I'll re-post the gist of my response here and leave the ball in your court. I promise not to delete it this time. :-)

What I'd asked was, why try to replicate the parts of a Deardorff when there are many parts available on the market? It seems to me it would be much easier to find the parts. Some, e.g., the bed, are rather complex and they're available as NOS items from some suppliers. The Deardorff finish included a step where a "mud" is applied to accentuate the grain to give the well-known Deardorff finish. Etc.

And, having said that, I asked why not just find a used camera and refinish it if you want to get your hands dirty. In the end it would likely be much more economical, especially if one considers time to be a cost.

Cheers,
Will

Nick Ahlgrim
27-May-2011, 09:22
Thanks for the repost Will.

The thing you wrote about the mud is real helpful, I was wondering how the grain got so dark. I am going to have to go outside and try out some dirt.

The bed is the one wooden part that I still think I might buy from somebody. Don't want to get the dimensions wrong. Also, I don't know anyone with a deardorff to take measurements from, so I may buy the bed and use it to help fill in some details about the sizes of other parts I want to make.

I have nothing but free time and I love building things. So making some parts myself is something I will really enjoy and feel the process will be very rewarding. I get to put my own sweat into the camera and will take pride in my input.

Not thinking this is going to be quick, easy or very cost effective. But, I do feel it is going to be enjoyable and extremely educational. When somebody sees the completed camera and comments on how they like it, I will know I had a hand in building it.

I may be crazy.

William Whitaker
27-May-2011, 09:41
I don't think it was really mud, but acquired that name because of its appearance. I'll bet someone here knows...

Nick Ahlgrim
27-May-2011, 09:49
Ok, I put a hold on rubbing dirt into my mahogany. Going to look into woodworking forums to see if there is some technique out there that matches.

Thanks

Len Middleton
27-May-2011, 10:09
I have nothing but free time and I love building things. So making some parts myself is something I will really enjoy and feel the process will be very rewarding. I get to put my own sweat into the camera and will take pride in my input.

Not thinking this is going to be quick, easy or very cost effective. But, I do feel it is going to be enjoyable and extremely educational. When somebody sees the completed camera and comments on how they like it, I will know I had a hand in building it.

I may be crazy.

Nickphotoca,

Given the handbuilt nature of the cameras (even the metal parts), especially in the beginning of their production, if you have the skills, tools, and time, it is obviously all very doable. Just few individuals have all that, AND the inclination...

As the owner of a V8 version, I can confirm they are a nice camera to use.

Good luck with your efforts,

Len

Michael E
27-May-2011, 11:27
I have nothing but free time and I love building things.

I wish I could say that. I love to build and fix things - but even if I lived to be 100 years old, I'd never be able to finish all those projects in my head. I need more free time! Consider yourself lucky.

I may be crazy.

You have come to the right place...

TheDeardorffGuy
27-May-2011, 12:32
MUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you buy these parts from me I'll throw in some of the exact wood filler Deardorff used. And instructions "how to"

William Whitaker
27-May-2011, 12:46
I was right. :cool:

Nick Ahlgrim
27-May-2011, 13:01
Thanks for the encouragement Len.

I definitely have the tools, time and the inclination to do it. But, the skills are something I may or may not have enough of to do it adequately. I am going to give it a shot anyway.

Michael -
Good to hear I'm right place. The amount of free time I have is a good thing and I am cherishing it. But, I only have so much free time due to a lack of employment. Probably should be spending more time looking for a job, but working on this camera seems more enjoyable. The whole freelance business has had its ups and downs in the past, lately its just been down.

The Deardorff is one of the most attractive cameras I have seen, I have wanted one since I was 13.

Ken-
I sent you an email last night. Let me know what you can do, maybe we can figure something out.

E. von Hoegh
2-Jun-2011, 14:21
Thanks for the repost Will.

The thing you wrote about the mud is real helpful, I was wondering how the grain got so dark. I am going to have to go outside and try out some dirt.

The bed is the one wooden part that I still think I might buy from somebody. Don't want to get the dimensions wrong. Also, I don't know anyone with a deardorff to take measurements from, so I may buy the bed and use it to help fill in some details about the sizes of other parts I want to make.

I may be crazy.

I have a Deardorff V8, number 553. If you are serious about this project, I'll take any measurements you want, to a thousandth of an inch. I'm a machinist, and I have the measuring tools.

Nick Ahlgrim
2-Jun-2011, 17:47
Thanks for the offer. I was beginning to wonder if anyone was willing.

I don't need to make any of the wood parts anymore. Turns out someone this site had all the parts I needed and sold them to me for an amazing price. I am currently waiting for them to arrive.

So, what I need now is most of the metal parts. Been stocking up on tools and am planning on making a few of the parts needed. Worked in a fabrication shop for short time many years ago, so I think I can handle some of the less complicated items.

I will send you a message when I figure out what I need. Just might need you to pull out that caliper and take some measurements.

Yes, I am very serious about this project. Just finished making my ground glass and got my first 8x10 lens (Cooke anastigmat 13in Series V), just for this camera. Planning on having the whole thing complete in the next couple months.

Thanks again for the offer.