PDA

View Full Version : Birmingham UK. Suggestions? Meet up?

eddie
26-May-2011, 00:42
Hey all

I found my way to Birmingham UK. Somehow the only "camera" I have withe is my I phone?!?!? DOH! I have a suitcase full of great lenses but no camera....don't ask.

I had a chance meeting with Tony from camera bellows and stopped up for a visit with him this weekend. Until then anyone got a few suggestions on places to kill some time? Anyone living around here wanna meet up? I'll buy the beers.

Thanks for the insight.

Eddie in the UK

IanG
26-May-2011, 00:56
Only 30 minutes from Birmingham, may go to the Midlands Arts Centre tomorrow morning. How long are you around ? I have some spare LF cameras :D

Ian

Joanna Carter
26-May-2011, 01:00
You could also join us in the UKLFPG Forums (http://www.lf-photo.org.uk/forum/). We have several members in that area.

eddie
26-May-2011, 02:00
Only 30 minutes from Birmingham, may go to the Midlands Arts Centre tomorrow morning. How long are you around ? I have some spare LF cameras :D

Ian

thanks ian sounds great. i sent you a pm with a phone number. my number is 0793 111 0932. i am around for 1 week.

You could also join us in the UKLFPG Forums (http://www.lf-photo.org.uk/forum/). We have several members in that area.

great idea. done.

thanks so far.

eddie

Steven Tribe
26-May-2011, 02:02
"When in Rome ....".
I suggest you try out a J. Lancaster camera!
There must be some in their hometown - perhaps even a museum that could be convinced to loan...?
IanG is your best bet.

IanG
26-May-2011, 02:57
"When in Rome ....".
I suggest you try out a J. Lancaster camera!
There must be some in their hometown - perhaps even a museum that could be convinced to loan...?
IanG is your best bet.

I've only got two Houghton's Steven, made in London :D But I will show Eddie some TP shutters tomorrow :)

Ian

Ash
26-May-2011, 10:45
I'm in Swindon, which is a couple hours away by train. There's next to nothing to do *in* Swindon but it's a good hub for Oxford, Bath, Bristol, etc. You can get a 30minute bus journey to Avebury which is well worth the trip.

I don't have a camera worth having you borrow, but I'm well up for meeting if you like.

Am working til Sunday, but I have Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday off. Let me know.

Ash
27-May-2011, 13:37
Looks like I only have Monday off now!! If you're around let me know.

Pete Watkins
30-May-2011, 12:37
Bloody tourists only come up here to steal our lenses. He got none of mine!
Pete.

Great day out though.

Pete Watkins
30-May-2011, 12:38
And finally!

eddie
30-May-2011, 23:37
Thanks to pete and ian for meeting with me and taking me out to shoot. It was great. Thanks to everyone else for their help and ideas.

Today I head back to London. Meeting with my pal goamules. Then off to France.

BTW pete perfect blue skies and sun today. Unlike the regular English weather of yesterday.

Cheers.

Eddie

Steven Tribe
31-May-2011, 03:23
Stratford and Coventry?

Pete Watkins
31-May-2011, 10:50
Steven,
Henley in Arden, Stratford, Warwick & Kenilworth.
The 5x7 came out at Kenilworth Castle as the rain had eased up a bit.
Coventry, no chance, have you ever driven on that crappy ring road? The bloody thing needs closing.
Pete.

IanG
2-Jun-2011, 15:19
T'was great to meet up with Eddie, one of the characters off this forum & APUG. We put the world to rights walking, talking, shooting, cooking & eating, and a few beers.

It was a pity that Eddie's schedule meant I couldn't drag him to the mac (Midlands Arts Centre) because there's a superb exhibition of two of Simon Roberts projects. The highlight being "The Election Report" commission by the UK Parliament to document the 2010 Elections, he shot it 5"x4". I've just met & talked to Simon at the talk he gave there tonight.

Ian

anglophone1
4-Jun-2011, 02:46
Thanks to pete and ian for meeting with me and taking me out to shoot. It was great. Thanks to everyone else for their help and ideas.

Today I head back to London. Meeting with my pal goamules. Then off to France.

BTW pete perfect blue skies and sun today. Unlike the regular English weather of yesterday.

Cheers.

Eddie

Where in France are you headed Eddie?

eddie
4-Jun-2011, 21:31
Mostly Paris. The wife loves this place. Soon Venice.

David Hedley
6-Jun-2011, 11:53
Are you getting from Paris to Venice by train - and going via Basel by any chance?

eddie
6-Jun-2011, 12:43
Are you getting from Paris to Venice by train - and going via Basel by any chance?

nope. using the fast plane this time.....

john biskupski
8-Jun-2011, 23:25
Eddie, if you're still in Venice, and want to find a quite sleepy fishing village away from too many tourists, take the vaporetto to the Lido, take a bus to the ferry for Santa Marie del Mare on the island of Pellestrina (a prolongation of the Lido), from the ferry then take the bus along the sand spit to Saint Antonio di Pellestrina. Great Osteria Al Campiello. Get your hotel to confirm it's open, but it's still a charming day trip, and highly photogenic.

Milosz Wozaczynski
30-Jun-2014, 06:05
If anyone is still based in Birmingham or Midlands - I'm actually based here :)

IanG
30-Jun-2014, 07:21
I'm now mainly based back in the UK just down the road in North Worcestershire. Currently finishing off my new darkroom which is a bit behind schedule and over imagined budget :D

You're welcome to pop down when it's finished.

Ian

Pete Watkins
30-Jun-2014, 11:12
I'm in Tamworth, 110 bus from Brum. What plans have you made? Middleton Hall is fairly photogenic if you're into LF. What gear do you use and what do you like to photograph?
Pete.