PDA

View Full Version : Trouble scanning 4x5 with epson 4990

mentalcrisis00
25-May-2011, 16:18
Hey all

I just bought an epson 4990 off ebay and tried scanning 4x5 negs in a no name brand holder. The holder can carry four 4x5 negs, I'm not sure where I got it but I've had it hanging around for years. I installed the latest drivers and set the scanner to B&W Neg, 72 dpi, 8-bit, and film (with holder). I hit preview and I get a totally black image. I tried film with area guide, same thing, I check to see if the negative light on the lid is working and indeed it is.

Now I try scanning a magazine on the flatbed set to reflective, it scans perfectly and shows up in preview. Now I try the negative again without any holders and set it to Film (area guide) and presto my negative actually shows up.

Is there any reason that it wouldn't scan my negative while in the holder but it will scan while it's on the glass with no holder? The holder I have appears to be similar in size and thickness as the genuine epson branded ones, the only difference being it holds 4 negs instead of 2.

Is it because I'm not using the Epson brand 4990 negative holder? Or could there be something wrong with the scanner? Anyone know where I might get a 4x5 holder for the Epson 4990 that isn't astronomically priced?

Thanks Ray

Zaitz
25-May-2011, 16:47
Is the calibration space at the top of the bed covered up with the no name holder?

mentalcrisis00
25-May-2011, 19:57
Oh ya probably, I didn't know there was a calibration space. I assumed the epson holders covered the entire flatbed. Does anyone happen to have a picture of what the 4990 4x5 holder should look like?

Zaitz
25-May-2011, 20:18
http://www.betterscanning.com/scanning/models/4990.html

Those show the space on top or on the right.

mentalcrisis00
25-May-2011, 20:24
ah ha ok thats probably why I'm all buggered up. Maybe I'll try cutting this film holder I have apart and make my own. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Zaitz
25-May-2011, 20:26
I hope that's it! I am pretty sure it needs to be open there but not positive. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Brian Ellis
25-May-2011, 20:30
I don't understand why you're scanning at 72 dpi. 2200 or so is the norm with the 4990 since that's about the maximum it's capable of resolving. Maybe I'm misreading your message.

The 4x5 holder that comes with the 4990 isn't all that great, mine started cracking after a year or so of use. I replaced it with one made by UMax. IIRC the Epson holder held two negatives, the UMax holds one. I don't know if UMax is still around or not but if it is I'd recommend buying it.

mentalcrisis00
26-May-2011, 03:04
The only reason I was scanning at 72dpi was to test if the scanner even works. I generally scan at 2400-4800dpi for digital archiving. Thanks for the responses.

mentalcrisis00
26-May-2011, 14:16
AH yes there we go. Low tech solution, I simply cut the film holder in half. Now I have two 4x5 film holders that hold 2 sheets of film each. Thanks for bringing the calibration area to my attention.