PDA

View Full Version : Film Festival in Arles, France

tom thomas
25-May-2011, 08:00
Is anyone going? Just wondered. I'll miss it as will be back in Oklahoma (unless Oklahoma is in Illinois by then.) darn it. I notice the expo of photos will continue till mid September though so I'll try to catch it when I come back in Sept.

Here is the URL for the festival description:

http://www.rencontres-arles.com/

tom

E S
21-Jun-2011, 01:40
I'm going this year, and will again be a workshop student -- please see my post in Announcements.

I sure hope there will be other people from the forum in Arles! If you're going, maybe drop me a line and we can set up a meet-up?

anglophone1
22-Jun-2011, 17:33
I'll certainly be there all week -there is a one day workshop with paolo roversi on the Wednesday.

Darin Boville
22-Jun-2011, 17:41
I may be there--trying to be there, at least. How long is the train ride from Paris? Direct route?

--Darin

tom thomas
24-Jun-2011, 13:09
Darin,
TGV (Tres Grande Vitesse) train from Charles de Gaulle airport to Avignon TGV station is less than 3 hours. Arles isn't on the route apparently. You can rent a car from Avis/Hertz and others who have pickup/dropoff office in the parking lot at the TGV station.

Try googling "tgv cdg a arles" as I just did and there is a conversation in english asking basically your question, including the rental car business. One submitter mentioned that people typically catch a bus to Arles from the TGV station. There are also local trains but I think you have to transfer from the TGV station southwest of Avignon to the old train station in town. Googling may also help you there.

What is very important at this late moment is to make your TGV train reservations from CDG to Avignon ASAP. It's the start of holiday season, business travellers as well so it can be difficult to get a seat at a reasonable price "if at all." Also, make your car rental arrangements now too so they will have one available when you arrive.

If you drive from Avignon to Arles, it is such beautiful country, you may want to spend all your time stopping to take photos. Greek, Roman ruins, old chateaus, you name it. Such a beautiful place.

hopefully this will help a bit. Here is where you can check prices and availability for the TGV. http://www.voyages-sncf.com/

tom thomas

tom thomas
24-Jun-2011, 13:24
Darin, the URL I gave you for the train info is in French obviously. Don't give up. Scroll most of the way down the page to a dark grey area. Click on the small English flag that's displays in the mess of them. Voila, British English.

You can check, book ticket and one of the tabs lets your rent a car from Avis at the same time. Usually they have some deal, like we often do here. Arles is about 20 miles by road from Avignon. You will kinda follow the Rhone valley between the two towns, passing Aramon (very near our house), Beaucaire, Tarascon, down towards Fontvielle, and on to Arles.

Hint, on the roads, priority is always to the right except in the many traffic circles where the car/truck already in the circle has priority. It can be fun a times.

Tom

Oh, this is kinda a photo of downtown Arles, it's a photo op moment at every turn in France.

Darin Boville
24-Jun-2011, 15:06
Thanks, Tom, for the info. I'm hoping to make it though my schedule keep changing. Ugh!

--Darin

tgtaylor
25-Jun-2011, 20:10
Hint, on the roads, priority is always to the right except in the many traffic circles where the car/truck already in the circle has priority. It can be fun a times.

I once did a long bicycle tour that started in Madrid and ended in Rome. Cycling up the Rhone I absolutely loved the traffic signs which said "Vous ne vais Pas La Priority." (My written French may be off - it's been awhile.)

Thomas

tom thomas
26-Jun-2011, 11:27
Thomas, you are close with your expression.

I sure wish that a sign like that had been posted at this "round-pointe" (roundabout) when I did a left in front of oncoming traffic. I'd mentioned in an earlier post here that those in the roundabout already have the priority. True, except that this roundabout wasn't a roundabout regardless of the big arrow sign and a nice grassy curbed center spot, ie just like roundabouts.

This photo should be titled "Opel meets Audi!" I was driving the silver Opel on the left, the young driver with two friends, cell phones in their hands, loud music was in an Audi A6. He had the time to stop when I started my turn but kept on coming, hadn't seen me according to what he told police. We hit with him doing about 40mph. Every fluid in the Opel, except diesel in the tank, was dripping out under my car.

The gendarmes said this was a confusing intersection, several accidents a week. The wrecker driver said his mother had been hit there just the previous week.

I paid about $6500 for this accident to rebuild the Opel as I'd rented it for 35 days at the onset. Normally my credit card provides comprensive insurance but only if rental is 30 days or less. Ouch.

tom thomas
30-Jul-2011, 13:35
Darin, were you able to make the film festival?

Tom