PDA

View Full Version : 5" aerial film processing

JanOve
24-May-2011, 15:56
Hi all, first post so please be gentle with me:)

I'm trying to figure out how to develop shorter length <120cm of 5" aerial film in a Jobo Cpe.

Should I try to modify either a 1501 reel or a 2502 to accommodate the wider film, or rather just insert it into a print drum?
I rather not divide the film since the camera doesn't leave any spacing between frames

Got a ancient rewind machine, but its wasteful for smaller (<50feet) amounts due to almost 5 gallons of solutions needed.

Any ideas is greatly appreciated:)

Jan-Ove

ic-racer
24-May-2011, 16:07
Ok so that is 5" by 47"

I'd modify a reel for that.

Or better yet, cut it into 4" pieces and expose it and process it as 4x5 sheet film.

JanOve
24-May-2011, 16:15
Each exposure is 5"x16" so actually three images will be around 48" wide.
Which of the 1501 or 2502 will be the best candidate for modification?

Jan-Ove

Daniel Stone
24-May-2011, 17:02
Jan-Ove,

sounds like a job to cut and extend a 35mm reel, then you can process it in a 4 reel stainless tank :), by simple inversion methods, just like 35mm.

if you(or someone else) can weld stainless steel, then you're set. Just make sure the extended center rails are the same grade of stainless as the reels themselves.

-Dan

JanOve
24-May-2011, 17:07
Nice tip, probably easier than messing around with plastics.
Thx.

sully75
24-May-2011, 21:13
or maybe cut a 120 steel reel in half, find some piping that fits tightly on the cut shaft and glue it together with epoxy (rough the shafts with sandpaper).

John Kasaian
24-May-2011, 21:19
If you want my Houston Fearless processor, you're welcome to it! Bring a truck.It'll handle anything from 70mm to 9-1/2" roll film.

Marc B.
24-May-2011, 23:15
FYI Finding welders experienced in stainless steel;
look for commercial kitchen fabrication/equipment repair shops.
Lots of stainless steel in kitchens.

Jim Galli
25-May-2011, 06:22
I had the same issue with much larger film from a #10 cirkut camera. So 10" X 72" is common. I had a stainless steel fabrication shop in Mound House NV. (they specialize in tanks for people making wine) make me a tray 14" wide X 8' long X 4" deep. I use ordinary 2" shipping tape and tape the ends of the film to the bottom of the dry tray, then proceed as normal. It was about $300 for the stainless tray though.

Daniel Stone
25-May-2011, 08:11
Jim,

that tray must be heavy mother... not just price-wise, but weight?!

-Dan

Jim Galli
25-May-2011, 08:34
Jim,

that tray must be heavy mother... not just price-wise, but weight?!

-Dan
Yes, but I can carry it alone. The whole process is ungainly. 5" X 48" wouldn't be bad though.

JanOve
25-May-2011, 13:02
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, send Hewes a mail asking for a quote on a
custom reel. I really need it to be compatible with a jobo drum since its primarily E6 and C41 processing to be done.

@John, thanks for the generous offer. Would have taking you up on the offer haven't been so expensive to ship to Norway;)

Jim Galli
25-May-2011, 13:17
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, send Hewes a mail asking for a quote on a
custom reel. I really need it to be compatible with a jobo drum since its primarily E6 and C41 processing to be done.

@John, thanks for the generous offer. Would have taking you up on the offer haven't been so expensive to ship to Norway;)

Have you tried simply putting the film corkscrew pattern into a 3063 Jobo drum? It should fit fine and not overlap, although a clip at each end somehow would save a lot of wondering what it's doing while in process.

Ed Brock
25-May-2011, 19:12
The long stainless tray seems like a simple solution. But instead of stainless, try 1/4 inch ABS cut with a table saw. ABS glue is quick and waterproof.

Jim Galli
25-May-2011, 19:39
The long stainless tray seems like a simple solution. But instead of stainless, try 1/4 inch ABS cut with a table saw. ABS glue is quick and waterproof.

I once made a single tube for the 10X72" out of 3" waste pipe with a cap on one end and female adapter with threaded plug at the other. It seemed to put a lot of scratches on the back of the film but otherwise worked well. With the smaller size, that might be something to think about. Just a piece of 2" black waste pipe 48" long. Doesn't do much for temperature control with color though.

sully75
3-Jun-2011, 21:43
I'd seriously think about taking a 120 reel to your local welding shop and seeing if they could extend it for you. You'd be able to use daylight tanks and I bet it would be a whole lot cheaper than a custom reel.

JanOve
17-Jul-2011, 13:13
The custom Hewes reels showed up a couple of weeks ago, beautiful workmanship and fast turnaround considering he needed to retool his machine. £100 each , now the 2 barely fits in a multitank 6 together. Tried a test roll in the multitank 5 with 640ml and it came out alright.
The spools take 170cm of film which is a bit over three exposures so I`m happy with that:)
Sadly the Jobo Cpe2 I got can barely cope with 640ml liquid, so the multitank with 850ml is out of the question for now.
So next on my todo list is retrofitting the Jobo with a stronger motor and a modern motor controller.
Need to practice some more loading SS reels, I made some kinks and tearing on the test roll.

Pics;
Filmholder clip.
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv277/Handtame/Hewes.jpg

Entry guide.
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv277/Handtame/Hewes2.jpg

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv277/Handtame/Hewes3.jpg

rjmeyer314
18-Jul-2011, 12:02
There is a (government surplus) film processing kit that was made especially for processing 5" aerial film. It consists of 2 tanks, plus a motor for moving the film from one tank to the other. I have one that came with my Graflex K-20. So far I haven't used it (no it's not for sale). Watch Ebay and you may find one.

IanMazursky
18-Jul-2011, 21:09
I have one to but i think mine came with 3 tanks that fit into each other.
Im not sure as i haven’t used mine either but they look like they should work.
They survived war so home use should be a walk in the park :D
One thing that should be pointed out, the wiring on them should be inspected.
Mine needed to be redone, very old 2 prong wire around liquid…recipe for a shocking experience.