PDA

View Full Version : Old Formulation Film?

Two23
24-May-2011, 08:04
While rambling through links to film suppliers, I remember I recently came across a 4x5 b&w film that was reportedly unchanged since the 1950s. I.e., it's made the same way it was when I was born! I can't remember where I saw it though, or what it was. I think it was an East European company and it was ISO 100. Anyone know which film and what online supplier I'm thinking of here? I thought it might be fun to try. I now use Efke 25 and HP5, and have nothing in between.

Kent in SD

IanG
24-May-2011, 08:11
The films are the EFKE/Adox CHS range which were first introduced around 1953 by Dr C. Schleussner Fotowerke GmbH under their Adox brand name. He sold out to DuPont who later closed the plant selling the machinery and licensing the films to EFKE in Zagreb (early 1960's).

Freestyle are the US distributor. However these aren't really what many refer to as old style (thick) emulsions, instead they were the first of the modern thin layer films.

Ian

Two23
24-May-2011, 08:15
The films are the EFKE/Adox CHS range

Thanks, I think that's the one. I check out Freestyle. Sounds like that's as far back in time as I can go with something already available!

Kent in SD

Jay DeFehr
24-May-2011, 09:10
You could try X-Ray film. I don't know if the emulsion is thin or thick, but it comes in a few different flavors of ortho, and has a very old school look to it. It has emulsion on both sides, so handling is a little more demanding than pictorial films, but easily managed. The best part is that it's cheap! After using the super-thin-based ortho lith film, X-Ray film handles like a dream.

sully75
24-May-2011, 09:20
Why does it have emulsion on both sides? Just wondering.

IanG
24-May-2011, 09:24
Because that allows a denser X-ray negative at a lower so safer exposure to X-rays.

Ian

E. von Hoegh
25-May-2011, 09:11
Thanks, I think that's the one. I check out Freestyle. Sounds like that's as far back in time as I can go with something already available!

Kent in SD

I used the EFKE PL100 back in the late 80s (before the Iron Curtain fell!), at ei 64 or 80, depending on the scene, developing in HC110 B IIRC. It was nice film and cheap, but my snob genes took over and I started using T-Max 100. It was packed with a sheet of paper separating each film sheet, don't load the paper ;).