PDA

View Full Version : What Shutter Have I Here?!? Fuji 250 f/6.7

Richard K.
23-May-2011, 16:38
OK, I bought this nice Fujinon 250 f/6.7 a few days ago. The glass looks perfect, brand new- couldn't have had more than just a few trillion photons pass through (maybe a total of a few seconds exposure). BUT, here's what's puzzling me. The shutter is marked for maximum f/5.6 not f/6.7 - SEE PHOTO BELOW- and also has a secondary scale engraved in green. Seems like the shutter does not go with this and was maybe used with a convertible lens? Can I just replace the scale strip or would a different #1 Copal be needed because they (#1 Copal shutters) aren't all identical with regard to the critical separation of front and back groups? i.e., would an off-the-shelf Copal 1 work? It was advertised as coming from a Crown Graphic?

Another issue is that I can hear and feel a rattle in each barrel when unscrewed from the shutter - this stops when I squeeze the barrel with my fingers. So there might be a loose element? How to check/correct?

Appreciate all and any ideas! Thank you!

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn15/RichardK47/Fujinon250.jpg

Kevin Crisp
23-May-2011, 16:50
Shutter looks like a Copal 1 off a late model convertible Symmar lens. I wouldn't rely on the aperture markings without actually measuring and checking them for accuracy. It could be marked for a 210, 180 or 150.

The slight rattle you mention is usually a slightly loose retaining ring on each element. With a proper tool like the excellent S. K. Grimes lens wrench with flat tips you can snug it up. It may have been taken apart to clean haze or something if you see no impact damage.

Bob Salomon
23-May-2011, 16:53
Shutter looks like a Copal 1 off a late model convertible Symmar lens. I wouldn't rely on the aperture markings without actually measuring and checking them for accuracy. It could be marked for a 210, 180 or 150.

The slight rattle you mention is usually a slightly loose retaining ring on each element. With a proper tool like the excellent S. K. Grimes lens wrench with flat tips you can snug it up. It may have been taken apart to clean haze or something if you see no impact damage.

210 or 180. 150 would have been in a 0.

Leigh
23-May-2011, 18:50
The "standard" element retaining ring tool is a rubber bottle stopper, with the larger end just small enough to clear the outside barrel.

If the lens element protrudes too far to get a purchase, cut out the middle of the stopper.

- Leigh

ic-racer
23-May-2011, 19:03
That is a great lens, but with the rattles and without the correct shutter or scale, I hope you did not pay too much. The Copal aperture scale is "LS 24" for that lens.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/ic-racer/2011/250Fujinon.jpg