PDA

View Full Version : Instant Film Options, May 2011

jk10003
23-May-2011, 10:38
Folk,
I am excited to be (re)joining your world with the expected acquisition of an old Calumet view camera (probably CC-400, at a guess). My first thought is to avoid processing by using Fujifilm instant film packs, for now. I have several question about this, so excuse me if I lump them together:
1. Is Fuji going to continue making instant film? No one can predict the future, but I now see FP-100C and FP 3000B available in both 4x5 and 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 sizes. Does anyone have good info as to whether this will continue, and in both sizes?
2.Why aren't backs for 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 manufactured any more? I understand that using the smaller format is much more economical without loosing large amounts of image. I know that the Fuji FP-145 and Polaroid 405 backs are used with the smaller format, but how come they are not manufactured any more, if the film still is, especially since Fuji apparently continues to make the 4x5 FP-45 back? And, just to be sure, the smaller-format backs can be used on a 4x5 camera, right?
3. Can a Fuji FP-145 or Polaroid 405 back be used on a 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 Speed Graphic? Just a very idle question. I have the camera sitting around as a never-to-be-used-again family heirloom, but now I'm wondering if this back will work?

Thanks all for your attention.
JK

mdm
23-May-2011, 11:21
you need a 4x5 graflok back to use a fuji 145 holder as the darkslide pulls from the 'wrong' end. It does not fit your speed graphic.

rjbuzzclick
23-May-2011, 12:03
Just to add to what mdm stated...the Polaroid 405 back I use with my Speed Graphic (Graflok back) will not fit under the ground glass on my Calumet CC-400.

jk10003
23-May-2011, 14:47
Ouch! Does that mean the 405 or a PA-145 will not work with the Calumet at all? And will a 550 or a PA-45 work with the Calumet? I must admit that I am not at all familiar with how the back attachments work.

jk10003
23-May-2011, 15:07
Doing a more thorough search, I found this entry below. It seems as though none of the Polaroid or Fuji backs will work without putting in longer springs. Has anyone else had experience doing this, or know if these parts are still available (I'll certainly try Calumet also)?

19-Nov-2009, 23:36 #12
katheo

Re: Instant Film Backs that Fit
OK-- so the final resolution to the problem of getting a Fuji instant film back to fit under the ground glass of an older Calumet 4x5....

I was able to buy 2 new 'springs', i.e. long flat metal pieces that connect to the ground glass, from the kind people in the parts department of Calumet. While I was initially disappointed to see that the new parts were only 1/2 cm longer than my original ones, they do actually work with the Fuji back.

In addition to being marginally longer, the new springs are made from thinner metal so they have more flex.

In case anyone has a similar issue with their old Calumet 4x5.... contact Calumet and buy spare part 105797 and 105798.

rjbuzzclick
24-May-2011, 09:24
I had not heard of the longer springs before, that might solve the problem. On spring back Speed Graphics, some people just back out the screws that hold the springs in a little, or put in spacers or longer screws. You'd still have the problem mdm mentioned about the dark slide. I measured my CC-400, and the lip around where the film holder sits is about 4mm high, and the slot on the 405 back is about 3mm high. That 1mm difference could cause a light leak when trying to pull out the dark slide.

jk10003
24-May-2011, 09:54
This is the entire thread where I found much information and some measurements, particularly with respect to the Calumet: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=55768

jk10003
25-May-2011, 12:10
I just got an answer from Calumet. They have both springs in stock, at $6.99 each. Is there anyone out there who has experience installing them (and the back)?