PDA

View Full Version : photo stores/photo ops near Las Vegas?

Mark_437
5-Jul-2001, 16:45
I'll be going to Las Vegas next month. I'm looking for camera stores in Vegas, especially ones that have a lot of used/vintage large and medium format gear. A nybody have any recommendations?

I'm also looking for interesting photo ops near Vegas, specifically landscapes. Any suggestions here, too?

Thanks,

Frederick Leif
5-Jul-2001, 21:09
Hi,

Good photo ops in the Las Vegas area? I think it is pretty hard to beat the Valley of Fire and the area down by Boulder/Hoover Dam.

Sorry, I don't have any experience with the photo shops there.

Fred

Bob Salomon
5-Jul-2001, 21:53
Casey's Camera, Sahara Camera, Lambs

David Brown
5-Jul-2001, 23:55
Great photo ops in my opinion:

Red Rocks - just north of town

Death Valley - closer than you might think

Vegas itself - worthy of critical study

Mark Minard
6-Jul-2001, 00:36
Hi Mark,

I live in upstate N.Y., and just spent a week out in Vegas last month. If you're into small, nearly ghost desert towns, you might want to give Nelson a try. It's only about 30 minutes outside of town - just take RT.95 south till you see on the left hand side the turnoff to RT.165 and the sign for Nelson. There's people living there (which for me is kind of hard to believe) but there's also a very interesting assortment of abandoned wooden structures, as well as alot of interesting desert plants... It's only a short trip from Vegas so give it a try. Good luck!

Mark

Kevin Kemner
6-Jul-2001, 10:46
Hi Mark,

The previous post about camera stores pretty much sums it up. Of the three I'm partial to Casey's. They are located adjacent to the Liberace Museum on Tropicana. As for landscape shooting in Late July and early August be prepared for HOT temperatures. Generally temperatures at dawn will be around 90 and temperatures around dusk will be between 105 and 120 depending on where you are. I generally don't use my LF gear around Las Vegas during these months. However, for landscape photography I would recommend Mt. Charleston (which will also be much cooler), Valley of Fire, and the area around Hoover Dam/Lake Mead. Will you be shooting color or BW? Also do you intend to hike or stay close to the vehicle? If hiking, and you are not used to the desert, you can't underestimate how much water you will need and the value of a broad brimmed hat.

There are a few individuals who post on this site who are also from the Vegas area and it would be good to here from them as well. If you have any specific questions please feel free to email me directly.

Jim Galli
6-Jul-2001, 12:34
Any extended range beyond Las Vegas or do you have to stick pretty close for conventions and the like. I'm in Tonopah, 200 miles away, and there are mining town relics here.

http://www.losalamos.com/jimgalli/

The other place that is a must is the ancient bristlecone forest in the White Mountains east of the high sierras.

Jim

Mark_437
6-Jul-2001, 14:05
Thanks for all the answers so far - I really appreciate it. In answer to the above questions, I'll be shooting b&w, and I'm using 12x20 so I'll be relatively close to the car. (The longest distance I've humped it so far is two miles, but not in anything like 100+ degrees! And thanks for the hot weather advice - my canteen and Tilley hat are on my list.) I'll have my family with me, which will actually be the more limiting factor (i.e. I'm not going to make any really extended trips to locations away from town unless they're on our route). The good news is I've lobbied (successfully) for a side trip up to Zion, which should be nice. I don't really expect to make great images on a short trip to an area, but I'm looking forward to it nonetheless.

Cheers!

Bill Glickman
7-Jul-2001, 03:10
Mark, if you are shooting 12x20, and you are going to Zion, you definetly need to shoot at Bryce canon, its an additional 1.5 hrs, but well worth it in that format... If you are interested in used/vintage gear, caseys camera, next to the Liberace museus has some neat items...

Kevin Kemner
7-Jul-2001, 14:12
Mark,

A word of caution about shooting in Nevada State Parks, as opposed to National Parks. The state statute regarding photography in state parks is often construed by park rangers to mean all big cameras are outlawed (because only professionals use them). It is not uncommon to be harassed, especially in Valley of Fire. Generally, I carry a copy of the state statute with me for reference although it is difficult to convince some rengers that my equipment is used for a hobby. You may also wish to get a copy of the federal regulations regarding photography.

Here is the Nevada statute.

Commercial Photography. Authority: NAC 407.050

Fees range from $40 to $3,000 per day depending on the size and complexity of the filming operation.

Persons who take photographs or motion pictures in a park for commercial purposes are required to have a filming permit. Applications for permits must be made at the park prior to the filming date. The permit stipulates restrictions and obligations that must be met by the permittee. "Commercial" photography means photography that is meant for financial gain. Included under commercial photography are sales of photographic images for advertising, motion pictures, television productions or portfolios. The archiving of images by persons who use photographic skills, equipment or resources to provide a photographic product for sale is also considered commercial photography.

Have fun shooting. One last thing, there is no private vehicle access to the main canyon at Zion during the summer. There is a shuttle bus that stops at several locations. It is inconvenient if your lugging big gear but it makes the experience of the canyon infinitely better.

Mark_437
7-Jul-2001, 21:34
Kevin - Thanks for the heads up - I'll print out the statute and take it with me.