PDA

View Full Version : Some advice on a B&J 8x10 (I think)

BrainSaw
21-May-2011, 14:09
So, I was rummage sailing today, and I bought a view camera with the intent of possibly restoring and selling it. However, on getting it home, I discovered that the shutter mechanism doesn't work.

The camera has a plaque saying it's a Burke and James View Camera, and the size seems to make it an 8x10; the shutter says it's a Kodak No.2 supermatic, with an Ektar 127mm lens. Everything seems to be in good condition (nothing obviously broken, no rips/tears in the bellows) except for the shutter mechanism, which doesn't work, and is now in pieces. (I tried and failed to fix it. It was more complicated than I expected...)

So, what sort of prices do you think I could I get if I sold this camera as-is or by pieces? Would it be worth it to have the shutter repaired? Where should I look if I wanted to have the shutter repaired?

Hope you guys can help; I have no expertise in this area.

PolarBear1973
21-May-2011, 14:18
I've had shutter repairs done by S.K. Grimes and was very satisfied with their services.

Best of luck

Steven Tribe
21-May-2011, 15:50
The camera and the lens don't match!
The ektar 127/supermatic combo is a 4x5" lens (just). Unless the back has been installed with a reducing back (ground glass 4x5).
A fault with this kind of lens/shutter means "curtains" as they are plentiful and available cheaper than a professional service.

Look for project B&J 8x10 on e**y to find the prices - you can compare their finish with yours.

lenser
21-May-2011, 17:04
Brian, The prices (and outstanding quality and service) that I've gotten on shutter repairs is from Carol at Flutotscamerarepair.com. Her normal rates for a clean, lube and adjust is under $60.00, but since you've disassembled this shutter (and possibly caused damage) who knows until it's looked at.

She usually has a waiting list, but it's worth it to have her do the work.

Who knows if you'll get your money back on the lens, but as Steven says, check the "completed listings" under advanced search on ebay. Same thing for the camera. That's no guarantee that you'lkl get that rpice, but then again, depending on condition, you might get even more.

Good luck.

MIke Sherck
21-May-2011, 18:29
The 127mm Kodak Ektar lens isn't exactly a cult lens; they sell pretty cheaply (less than $100) on Ebay. I doubt you will get your money back from a repair, unless it turns out to be really inexpensive. You might get a little cash by selling it as a lens in a non-working shutter.

The camera needs photos; there were several models of camera produced by B&J; in addition to condition, some are worth more than others. Measure the width of the ground glass (length and width); that will tell you the film size. Most of these cameras had backs which could be replaced for different sizes of film, so a picture will tell us whether the back it has is it's maximum size or whether it has a reducing back on it. Finally, take the camera into a dark room and extend it as far as it will reasonably go. Take a small flashlight, turn it on, and put it inside the bellows, pointing it at all the corners. Move it along the inside of the bellows slowly. You're looking for little pinholes of light shining through the bellows, probably mostly along the edges of the bellows. You will likely find some; B&J cameras haven't been made for quite a while and these things don't last forever. Let us know whether you see a lot of pinholes (almost every corner) or fewer, or even if there might be tears in the bellows.

But pictures are really important. Take a look at my avatar photo; that's an 8x10 Burke & James monorail. It sells for very little even in almost unused condition, which is what mine is. That's why I have it: it's a decent working camera that I could get inexpensively.

Mike

BrainSaw
21-May-2011, 18:32
A fault with this kind of lens/shutter means "curtains" as they are plentiful and available cheaper than a professional service.

So...any advice on where I might find a shutter for cheaper than it would cost to repair this one?

I'd sorta like to get the camera working, just for the heck of it; seems like an interesting project.

Also, the camera seems to have layer of ridged plastic (possibly a fresnel lens) over the ground glass. Is this usual?

EDIT: @ Mike Sherck: Ok, I'll try and get some pictures up tomorrow. I don't think it's a monorail, (it seems to have two, also it collapses.) I'll also check for light-tightness. Also, for some reason, I can't see anyones avatars.

EDIT EDIT: According to my impromptu lighttest, (minimaglight in a dark room) It's quite lightproof. I also slapped a ruler on the thing, and it looks like the ground glass measures 5x7. Could that be right? Either way, I'll post pics tomorrow. Assuming I can borrow a working digital camera off someone.

Drew Bedo
22-May-2011, 05:12
I once had a B^J 5x7 that was painted battle-ship grey. It stripped down to good looking wood and refinished nicely. Wish I still had it!

jp
23-May-2011, 06:10
I like the 8x10 B&J view cameras. Some things on them are a little crude compared to big-bucks cameras, but they work well. I have an B&J 8x10 View Camera as shown at http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Burke_%26_James and also have an 8x10 Rembrandt camera from B&J.

A normal lens for an 8x10 camera with an 8x10 back is something around the 300mm range.

The most versatile setup is to have a lens and shutter in one unit like you had. A schneider or fujinon 300mm goes on Ebay for $250-600.

A lens without a shutter means you'd have to limit your shooting to situations where a single speed packard shutter would be fine, which is installed in the camera behind the lens in most cases. Or you could use a hat or dark slide to modulate the light.

There are charts online including at this site, which measure the coverage patterns of various lenses if you are curious about the extent that a lens can cover 8x10 or another size.

You'll also need one or more 8x10 film holders; they go from 30+$ on wooden ones to $50-100 on plastic ones, which I think are nicer to use.

Lynn Jones
23-May-2011, 15:10
I own the last 8x10 B&J view camera with natural wood finish. I was the VP of the company in Illinois, I saved the best one of the last 25 made, 11 or 12 natural finish wood and the rest military gray. When all the rest were sold, I bought the last one.

Lynn

jp
24-May-2011, 07:48
Lynn, thanks for commenting. Mine is the only one I've ever seen online or in person in natural wood finish and I didn't know much about it really.

Were the wood-finish ones a regularly produced option or was it just of this special batch you speak of? Not that it's super important, but how would one determine the vintage of the camera? Thanks, Jason

John Kasaian
24-May-2011, 08:44
Sell it?
Are you nucking futs?
Get an appropriate lens,some film holders, a set of trays and a box of .eduUltra and
Shoot it!
A jaw dropping 8x10 contact print will be your reward.
Thats what you need to do with this camera!
Now go do that.
You don't want to make me get angry! ;)