PDA

View Full Version : A.r.r.a.

John Kasaian
20-May-2011, 09:17
I was thinking about LF gear and how to avoid needlessly spending money on stuff. Society places a huge demand on "instant gratification" and that comes with a pricetag I really can't afford and besides, few things are instant in the realm of LF (other than perhaps Polaroid film and digital printers) so I was trying to come up with some way to catagorize my LF "durable goods" and "capital investments" in a way to objectively forecast future expenses and inventory (since the space to store bulky stuff entails the expense of space unable to be used for other purposes.)
So I've come up with ARRA and after taking stock of the LF gear I have(or don't have) in my kit I've assigned each item to one of the following catagories:

A---Acquire. Something I don't have---do I really need it?
R---Replace. Is there a practical life span for this item? When will I need to replace it? Is it something I wish to upgrade to something better?
R---Repair. It is often wasteful to replace something which can be repaired or recalibrated. Am I capable of repairing it myself? Is there a shop that can economically make the repairs?
A---Abandon. Do I no longer use or need this item? Is it better sold off or given away to someone who can use it?

The value of this in making decisions is debatable, but at least it is some place to start when considering a new purchase. Is every new product that hits the market going to make a viable difference in my photography? Likely no, but obviously everyone's objective will differ and sometimes we get caught up in the hype, creating false desires and foolishly spending money which can be better used elsewhere.

Mercy, this is a boring post!:o But perhaps it will help someone confused about acquiring and managing their LF gear.

Ari
22-May-2011, 17:56
John,
It's a well-thought out post, and you make a lot of practical points.
The problem arises when there's an 8x10 something-or-other that can be had for 1/4 of what it used to cost.
Then, I'm afraid, your system fails :)

Preston
22-May-2011, 19:55
John, your post goes right along with one of my favorite quotes...

From the Whole Earth Catalog: "Distinguish between what you need and what you wish you needed"

Your acronym is a good way to think about relieving GAS.

--P

Randy
23-May-2011, 12:08
I wish I were one of those rare fellows who have one lens, one camera, and creat such breath taking images. But instead, I have dozens of cameras in various formats, and dozens of lenses. You should see me trying to decide what to take with me on an outing. I'm pathetic.

Jim Fitzgerald
23-May-2011, 17:20
I wish I were one of those rare fellows who have one lens, one camera, and creat such breath taking images. But instead, I have dozens of cameras in various formats, and dozens of lenses. You should see me trying to decide what to take with me on an outing. I'm pathetic.

Randy, don't feel bad. Whenever I go out on an extended photo trip it is like I'm moving out of my apartment! 4 camera systems and all of my gear and I live upstairs to boot!!

cdholden
24-May-2011, 06:45
Randy, don't feel bad. Whenever I go out on an extended photo trip it is like I'm moving out of my apartment! 4 camera systems and all of my gear and I live upstairs to boot!!

You need one of those small utility trailers and a truck. The only decision you have to make is to hitch the trailer or not.

Jim Fitzgerald
24-May-2011, 06:55
Chris, I have the truck. Not a bad idea about a trailer. Something to think about as I need to move to a better spot in the near future.