PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Nashville TN

chaz
18-May-2011, 19:18
Greetings I am new to the forum. Any wet plate photographers near Nashville TN?
www.chasbosioimages.com

cdholden
18-May-2011, 19:55
Do wannabes count? I still need to build a darkbox, but I think I've got most everything else to get started. I just never seem to get it together.
There's another forum member here who shall remain nameless (unless he wants to speak up for himself). He even said he's got a darkbox, just spending too much time at work.
I've had several messages from others on this forum (some lurkers) letting me know that it's good to see other "LFers" in the area. There's a growing number of people on this forum in the Nashville area.
If you're doing custom wet plate backs for LF cameras, you have an untapped market at your doorstep. Lots of people are wanting to have custom backs made for their cameras, but few are doing it. Those doing the woodwork mostly want to sell the whole camera, not just a back for an existing camera. Being local, I'd be interested in meeting sometime to see a sample of your work.

Welcome to forum.
Chris

chaz
18-May-2011, 20:10
HI Chris,
Yes, we are all wannabes in one way or another :-)
I just built a custom wet plate back back for an Eastman Kodak 2D in 5X7.
Here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cbosio/5728873148/in/photostream
It would be great to do a wet plate get together in Nashville.

Charles

cdholden
18-May-2011, 20:49
That would be great. Set it up for a sunny Sunday. I'm in. Other days are less flexible for me, but may work better for others. Best to get a head count of interested/possible attendees. What part of town are you/others in? Short of someone offering a place to host such an event, Centennial Park (West End) has a large covered pavillion on the west side of the park for food, shade, and an easily found place to meet. Plenty of parking too. Two Rivers (by Opryland) is a clean park and may be less crowded. Rates are here: http://www.nashville.gov/parks/picnic/index.asp
I live in Wilson County. It would be cheaper for a Davidson County resident to reserve it.
I can bring a big cooler for drinks, as well as a 5x7 camera with holder plus chemicals for the wet plate work. Just need a darkbox.

Going forward with any planning should warrant a new forum thread with relevant topic.

Chris

Mark MacKenzie
19-May-2011, 06:57
Hi Charles and Chris,
I am in Franklin. I've just gotten back into LF after long hiatus. I have just finished putting a darkroom together though not wet.
I am fascinated by alternative, wet plate etc though I'm just now trying to remember how to do non alternative LF. I am not the one with the darkbox Chris refers to, however.

Website looks great Charles and your work is inspiring. Woodwork looks fantastic. I also have some 5x7 2D parts and am looking for an extension rail. Would be happy to trade.

If there is a Nashville get together, I would enjoy meeting all. Please let me know.
Thanks,
Mark

Michael Jones
19-May-2011, 08:13
There's another forum member here who shall remain nameless (unless he wants to speak up for himself). He even said he's got a darkbox, just spending too much time at work.

Welcome to forum.
Chris

Chaz:

It's a pretty nice darkbox, too. :)

I was telling Chris we could link up at my place assuming people are not afraid of 013...

Pleasty of acrage and stuff.

Let's try to put something togeather.

Mike

cdholden
19-May-2011, 08:45
I'm not afraid of anything except running out of ice when there's still beer in the cooler.
What's 013?

chaz
19-May-2011, 08:53
Hi Mike
Sounds great. Let's make it happen.

chaz
19-May-2011, 09:19
Hi Mark
I will keep an eye out for an extension rail.
I may be able to make one for you. I am very interested to see what parts you have.
Thanks for the compliment pn my site.

Charles

Vick Vickery
19-May-2011, 18:08
Welcome to group therapy, Charles! :) There are a number of folks here playing with wet plate...not sure how many are near Nasville, though. Will all those musicians hold still long enough for wet plate?

cdholden
19-May-2011, 19:40
Will all those musicians hold still long enough for wet plate?

Only between sunrise and noon. Some call it sleep. Others, it's a coma.

chaz
19-May-2011, 21:56
HI Vick
Those musicians may hold still after a good whiff of collodion :-)

bwylie
30-Jul-2011, 07:21
Hello!

Just came across this post. I'm located in Franklin and am practicing wet plate now. Let me know if you guys plan a meet-up.

Here's my Flickr stream. Feel free to add me as a contact.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/blakewylie/

-Blake

cdholden
30-Jul-2011, 07:50
Blake,
You've got some nice work on the Flickr site.
I'd like to see a get together in the fall, once we get back to a comfortable season. I was talking with a fellow forum member about this yesterday. Everyone that has expressed interest, both publiucly and privately, all agree that a wet plate session would be a good time. It's been too hot for any outdoor events to be enjoyable.
My offer to help coordinate still stands if anyone wants to offer up suggestions for a location.

Chris

bwylie
30-Jul-2011, 08:02
Thanks, Chris!

Based on the thread it'll be open to any Large Format photographers, correct? (and anyone interested in just checking it out, of course) :)

Centennial park sounds like the best option. Also a good opportunity for getting passing people as potential models. Would you have to pay to have a spot though? I guess if someone has a tent or something, then we probably would.

Fall is definitely the best time for something like this.

Keep me in the loop. I don't come to this forum that often, but I've subscribed to this thread, so if you start a new thread, just post here.

-Blake

cdholden
30-Jul-2011, 08:35
We have people between Mt Juliet, Lascassas and Leipers Fork (as well as others in between) who have all expressed interest... even one in Huntsville, AL (about 2 hours drive from here).
Due to this forum being the source of this thread, I would like to think that it's open to those with interest or experience in Large Format, regardless of medium. Whether on film, paper, glass, tin/aluminum, the camera functions are all the same.
It will also lead to a wider audience rather than a specialized group.
We could probably just go to a park, but organizing an event should have a stated location. With that being said, if it is to be a public place available to others, a reservation should be made to insure availability to us. A private location has been discussed, but not yet committed. I like the idea of the park for the same reason you suggested, garnering interest of passers by-- potentially for portrait models or for educating others on traditional photography, maybe even encouraging others to become LF users themselves.

bvaughn4
16-May-2012, 20:10
Searching for dark box plans and ran across this thread. If you guys are getting together occasionally, I would love to come up sometime. I'm in Huntsville and just getting started in wet plate.

Bill Vaughn