PDA

View Full Version : A spot meter for the budget conscious

hnaa
17-May-2011, 10:44
Hello,
in my quest for gathering all the stuff needed to do proper LF landscape photography, I am now looking for a good spot meter. I am currently using my Nikon D3 as a spot meter (very good, but very heavy), so I would like something a bit lighter than that. The prices seem to be pretty steep however, and a lot of those meters have all sorts of fancy functions that I wouldn't know what to do with. Could you recommend a no-nonsense spot meter, that won't (completely) break the bank?
I don't mind spending money at all, I would just like to focus my expenditure (that is, 50% taxed Danish kroner) on my particular needs.

Ed Kelsey
17-May-2011, 11:18
Got an iPhone? There's an app for that.

Vlad Soare
17-May-2011, 11:27
Ed, an iPhone costs more than two Pentax Spotmeters in good shape. :D

a lot of those meters have all sorts of fancy functions that I wouldn't know what to do with. Could you recommend a no-nonsense spot meter,
Yes, that would be a Pentax Spotmeter V, or a Pentax Digital Spotmeter. No fancy functions, no nonsense, just pure spotmetering and nothing else. Simple, fast and reliable. A pleasure to use.

that won't (completely) break the bank?
It depends on the bank. :)
I payed for my V, in like-new condition, two hundred dollars, but you can find a cheaper one if you're patient. The Digital is much smaller and lighter, but more expensive.

jeroldharter
17-May-2011, 12:10
Have you considered using an incident meter? That is the inexpensive alternative. I have a nice spot meter but have mostly converted to using the incident metering method described by Phil Davis in Beyond the Zone System. It is much easier, quicker, and more foolproof. I have a miniscule Gossen Digisix meter which is great.

vinny
17-May-2011, 12:25
Nikon n80. I happen to have one for sale too. While an incident meter is useful, it doesn't replace a spot meter. That's already been beaten to death in other threads though.

Patrik Roseen
17-May-2011, 12:31
Hello,
Look for a Soligor Spot Sensor II which is Analog. It works great apart from when the light is very low (it is hard to see the pointer inside against the dark background).

There are earlier versions of this Soligor meter as well which I assume would work too.

There are a few on ebay. An older version ending in 5 hours.

good luck,
Patrik

speedfreak
17-May-2011, 12:58
May I suggest the Minolta spot meter "m". This is the non flash version and has served me well. Takes AA batteries which is convenient. Pretty cheap on the used market.

Alan Gales
17-May-2011, 13:12
You can pick up a Pentax Spotmeter V for $100.00 to $150.00 on Ebay. Very simple to use meter that takes 3 easy to find LR 44 button cell batteries.

I own both the analog Spotmeter V and the newer digital model. My V is just as accurate as my digital model.

Roger Cole
17-May-2011, 13:54
Hello,
Look for a Soligor Spot Sensor II which is Analog. It works great apart from when the light is very low (it is hard to see the pointer inside against the dark background).

There are earlier versions of this Soligor meter as well which I assume would work too.

There are a few on ebay. An older version ending in 5 hours.

good luck,
Patrik

And they also use available anywhere 9v batteries.

I've had two, and the story illustrates one "shortcoming" (sort of) of analog meters. I had my first one on my wrist via the strap when I was going through a fence gate at a friend's house, stepped backwards to open the gate without realizing there was a drop off. To stop myself from falling I swung my arm out and caught the fence, bashing my Soligor meter. The movement was dead.

I shopped used ones but didn't have time to wait for the right deal. I bought another in better shape from KEH. Works fine.

sully75
17-May-2011, 14:12
I got a Pentax Spot Meter V from the forum and I'm extremely pleased with it. $100 I believe, maybe $125. Can't tell what spending more would have got me but I don't really care...it works awesome.

Bruce Barlow
17-May-2011, 20:19
Be careful with Spot Meter Vs. I understand that parts are no longer available, so if it breaks, you're out of luck.

I'd skip a lot of lattes to afford a Pentax Digital. An essential tool.

Roger Cole
17-May-2011, 20:43
Be careful with Spot Meter Vs. I understand that parts are no longer available, so if it breaks, you're out of luck.

I'd skip a lot of lattes to afford a Pentax Digital. An essential tool.

Pretty irrelevant in my view. Used analog spot meters cost less than the repairs would cost even if parts were available. If it breaks throw it away and buy another.

Bruce Barlow
18-May-2011, 04:32
Maybe, but the hassle factor is bad for my head. Which means I'd better own multiple unfixable meters (since a replacement may not be as available as I might need), or follow my own teaching and learn how to judge exposure without one.

The former makes the cost issue relatively moot, the latter is good practice. At the moment, out my window, HP5 at 200 would be 1/30 at f8. Yup. confirmed with a meter.

I choose to won a limited number of fine tools. That way, my limited brain is freed to think about what's on the ground glass with as few distractions as possible.

Roger Cole
18-May-2011, 04:50
Believe me, I do understand, and even concur to an extent. Once I have everything I actually need acquired or re-acquired I'll work on improving the quality of some of it, a piece at a time. Buying used means not having to take a severe beating on it, just re-sell it.

But I have backup if I break my (cheap) Soligor Spot Sensor II. I have a Luna Pro SBC and the 7.5 degree attachment too. I can still photograph.

jeroldharter
18-May-2011, 07:09
I choose to won a limited number of fine tools. That way, my limited brain is freed to think about what's on the ground glass with as few distractions as possible.

That is excellent advice and a concept I struggle with. But the more work I do, the more simple it becomes. I still need a meter though...

Bruce Barlow
18-May-2011, 10:10
Yeah, it's amazing how simple I find it. Except the part about making killer pictures. That continues to be really hard for me!!

But if it were easy, it probably wouldn't be fun.

domaz
18-May-2011, 16:30
I still say my Sekonic L-488 is the best deal out there. It's a really unsexy looking meter but it does spot and averaging metering with flash. Only costed something like $70 on KEH and I doubt they would go for much more on the Bay.

Kerry L. Thalmann
18-May-2011, 17:01
Pretty irrelevant in my view. Used analog spot meters cost less than the repairs would cost even if parts were available. If it breaks throw it away and buy another.

Yep, and it seems like there's always 5 - 10 of them available on eBay at any given moment. So, if you need one quick, in addition to being cheaper than getting one repaired, picking up a replacement is probably quicker, too. And, just as quick, and a whole lot less money, than buying a new meter from a mail order dealer.

The Pentax Spotmeter V is so ubiquitous that about the only way you could get a replacement meter quicker is if you happen to be one of the few fortunate souls that still lives near a brick and mortar photo store that still stocks antiquities like light meters.

If you're really worried about needing a replacement, just get two, a primary and a back-up. They aren't that expensive these days as the average photographer has little use for such things.

Kerry

Louie Powell
18-May-2011, 17:43
And they also use available anywhere 9v batteries.

I've had two, and the story illustrates one "shortcoming" (sort of) of analog meters. I had my first one on my wrist via the strap when I was going through a fence gate at a friend's house, stepped backwards to open the gate without realizing there was a drop off. To stop myself from falling I swung my arm out and caught the fence, bashing my Soligor meter. The movement was dead.

I shopped used ones but didn't have time to wait for the right deal. I bought another in better shape from KEH. Works fine.

Adorama has a pair of house-brand spot meters (one digital, one analog) that are identical to the Soligor and about half the price of the Pentax. I've been using the digital version for about seven years - works just fine.

Hector.Navarro
19-May-2011, 01:34
Check out the Sekonic Multimaster L-408, 5 degree spot, flash & ambient readings (incident & reflected).
I bought a used one last year for $119 plus shipping.

Roger Cole
19-May-2011, 04:51
Adorama has a pair of house-brand spot meters (one digital, one analog) that are identical to the Soligor and about half the price of the Pentax. I've been using the digital version for about seven years - works just fine.

Do they still make these? I just looked and couldn't find them on the Adorama web site.

hnaa
22-May-2011, 11:03
Do you know anything about the Shepherd Polaris lightmeters sold by Adorama? I never ever heard of that brand. And how about the Kenko meters? I guess I would like to buy a new meter, rather than a used one. But if I can't find anything reasonable, I'll probably go for a used Pentax or Minolta spot meter.

ki6mf
29-May-2011, 06:22
If you get the Pentax make sure it is not they kind that takes Mercury batteries as these are not manufactured. The Pentax V with the three Button style batteries is fine. Both still work its a matter of getting the correct power for the meter. I found a Soligor on Craigslist list while on vacation in Florida for a very good price so if you can check the used market