PDA

View Full Version : Tachihara - Can someone explain this ??? I don't get it !!

ederphoto
15-May-2011, 14:27
What's up with this ??? I don't get it .:confused: Is someone messing with the seller ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lovely-Tachihara-4X5-wooden-large-format-camera-1-NR-/320696719194?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item4aab03975a

jeroldharter
15-May-2011, 14:35
That is an impressive high bid. Maybe the hardware is gold?

Leigh
15-May-2011, 14:40
With 47 bids, you have a bidding war going on between two clueless idiots.

It happens sometimes on evilpay. Two people, each with egos larger than their brains, determined to have something regardless of the cost.

Just goes to prove there's no limit to stupidity.

- Leigh

Deane Johnson
15-May-2011, 14:42
Perhaps the bidder thinks that's real gold hardware.

Leigh
15-May-2011, 14:50
My Zone VI has gold-plated hardware. I don't think the Tachihara was ever available with that option.

You can buy a new brass Tachihara for $800.

- Leigh

ederphoto
15-May-2011, 14:52
It can't be .Nobody is that stupid and we have Google !

Leigh
15-May-2011, 14:58
Nobody is that stupid...
It appears you've not met the majority of your brethren. :p

- Leigh

Erik Larsen
15-May-2011, 15:09
The seller is a member here-more power to him:)
Erik

Alan Gales
15-May-2011, 15:22
Well, just to show you all what a nice guy I am I'm going to offer my Tachihara to all of you at a special discount rate of $3,000.00 and I guarantee the bellows to be light tight. :D

Leigh
15-May-2011, 15:28
Well, just to show you all what a nice guy I am I'm going to offer my Tachihara to all of you at a special discount rate of $3,000.00 and I guarantee the bellows to be light tight. :D
You are so kind... :eek:

We jut don't know what kind. :p

- Leigh

Alan Gales
15-May-2011, 15:43
I recently saw a Tachihara go for a little less than $1000.00 on Ebay. It looked to be in mint- condition and if I remember right it came with a nice lens in shutter, lens board, and a few extras.

msk2193
15-May-2011, 16:05
Actually it is one clueless person putting in a redicilous bid, and one other trying to see how high the bid really is. He pushed it up in $50 increments!

Alan Gales
15-May-2011, 16:16
There was a fellow on this forum recently who said that he always bid real high on items so that he would be sure to win the auction. Maybe he is the high bidder or someone who thinks like him.

ederphoto
15-May-2011, 16:20
When i see something i really want, i put a ridiculous bid to get it .And i get it every time .Of course the bids entered is well backed and i don't mess around .Only once i lost a struss lens because someone enter a higher bid than me and i enter $4000,00 .The lens went from $500.00 to $4050.00 in the last 5 seconds .I was shocked .After that i spent the money buying gold .All i know is that i turned those $4000,00 in over $20.000.00 .I have no regrets in loosing that lens .But this is not the case with this camera .

Leigh
15-May-2011, 16:20
Nope.

What you're talking about is sniping, and it's only done in the last few seconds of an auction.

What we're seeing here is lunacy and egomania.

- Leigh

ederphoto
15-May-2011, 16:22
There was a fellow on this forum recently who said that he always bid real high on items so that he would be sure to win the auction. Maybe he is the high bidder or someone who thinks like him.

Alan , i think like that guy but not for a Tachihara ! They are great cameras but those are not 24k solid gold knobs we are looking at .

Steve Barber
15-May-2011, 16:26
...he may be the winner, but it appears he has never been a payer. Feedback shows him to be high bidder on 12 items with 0 positive percentage. As to the other "bidder", that looks to be an inaugural attempt, having never bid before. I would not want to say someone created a stand-in, but I cannot imagine even the clueless using 250 and 300 dollar increments when trying to pump up the high bid.

Alan Gales
15-May-2011, 16:45
Alan , i think like that guy but not for a Tachihara ! They are great cameras but those are not 24k solid gold knobs we are looking at .

If it is something that you really want I don't see anything wrong with overpaying a little bit. It may be a long time until you see that item again or maybe never one in that exact condition. How bad do you want it? I just don't see any sense in bidding a huge price where if you had to pay that amount you will regret it. If you are willing to pay your top bid then what you are doing is fine.

I doubt very much that the Seller of this camera gets any where close to where the bidding is now. I think the high bidder will "weasel" out and the the second high bidder will suddenly lose interest if offered the camera as a second chance offer.

Mike Tobias
15-May-2011, 16:51
I'm selling this, and you can imagine where my eyebrows are. Blimey.

I'll only say that if it does indeed go for this price and is paid for, the buyer is going to get some free film holders, and very careful packing.

Always suspicious when things go this high, but I suppose sometimes people just REALLY want something. I'm not going to hold my breath.

Mike

Alan Gales
15-May-2011, 16:55

I'll only say that if it does indeed go for this price and is paid for, the buyer is going to get some free film holders, and very careful packing.

Always suspicious when things go this high, but I suppose sometimes people just REALLY want something. I'm not going to hold my breath.

Mike

Mike, I think it is safe to say that all of us wish you the best of luck with this sale!

Alan

Leigh
15-May-2011, 17:07
Hi Mike,

Given Steve Barber's analysis in post #17, if it were my auction...

I would delete all bids by both of those individuals and block both of them.

They're scaring away legitimate bidders.

- Leigh

Mike Tobias
15-May-2011, 17:20
They're scaring away legitimate bidders.

Sadly, while I agree I don't really have any grounds for this. Both high bidders have actually asked specific questions about the camera and have not given me any reason to doubt their veracity, as high as their bids might be. If it closes at this price an no one pays, I ban the bidder and relist, there are no 2nd chance offers. I really have no idea what's going on, and will just have to wait and see.

Mike

ederphoto
15-May-2011, 17:23
I agree with Leigh Mike .There were some serious people trying to win your auction .Unless you are willing to let this thing go through just for the fun of it .But i have to say the carefull packing is tempting !!:D Just kidding .:p

Leigh
15-May-2011, 17:24
Hi Mike,

Good luck with it. Hope it works out.

- Leigh

Mike Tobias
15-May-2011, 17:34
According to eBay rules, I can only cancel bids if:

You can cancel a member's bids in the following cases:

* The bidder contacts you to back out of the bid.
* You can't verify the identity of the bidder after trying all reasonable means of contact.

I don't have either of these as options, both have contacted me directly. eBay, being the officious (increasingly so) place that it is has sent me notes of warning for lots of things recently, so I try to tread very carefully within their rules. I feel at worst that I'll have to relist this and any serious buyers will have a second shot at it. Don't really want to make waves with eBay, as terribly annoying as that is for everyone else.

Mike

Mike Tobias
15-May-2011, 17:37
I should also mention the high bidder does have a history as a buyer, the occasional sale (~1 to 3) a year, all the way back to 2001.

Mike

ederphoto
15-May-2011, 19:07
This madness has brought a jewel from a treasure chest .I had never seen a ebonized version of this camera before , true beauty :

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tachihara-4x5-Wood-Field-Camera-Beautiful-condition-/120724880844?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item1c1bc37dcc

msk2193
15-May-2011, 19:51
Mike, do tell if you get paid!

SamReeves
16-May-2011, 09:03
LMAO. It looks like a newb who doesn't know what the camera's value is, or somebody's got a second account via a proxy.