PDA

View Full Version : The Current View From Muir Pass, Sierra Nevada

tgtaylor
15-May-2011, 11:18
Taken Thursday, 12 May:

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/226882_218396711520944_100000518514856_797227_6029537_n.jpg

Preston
15-May-2011, 11:34
Wow!

That's a whole bucket load of snow! Looks great, but it's going to be a while before things open up!

--P

Frank Petronio
15-May-2011, 12:02
Wow... no droughts ;-)

tgtaylor
15-May-2011, 12:38
Wow... no droughts ;-)

It's raining here as I type with more on the way this evening and Monday and Tuesday...and maybe again next weekend. One foot of new snow is forecast for the mountains this evening as well as a dusting on Mt. Hamilton and Mt. Diablo here in the bay area.

Seeing the Muir Hut (visible in the center along the ridge - the pass) is always a welcome sight when trudging up the pass but it would a veritable godsend if you were out there now. I wonder if that marmot is hanging-out around the front door steps?

Thomas

Drew Wiley
15-May-2011, 14:27
This storm will bring a little more snow to the high country tomorrow. But here the
light is wonderful. I put in about six miles with the 8x10 on Diablo yesterday, and it
was beautiful, but so windy that I never even unpacked the camera. Printing and gardening today. Don't plan an extended high country trip till mid-Sept. Maybe some
short trips as things eventually thaw. Even on more "normal" years I can remember
Wanda Lk below Muir pass being all iced up clear into Sept. I'm in the process of
insisting that any of my hiking companions are equipped with snow-worthy boots for
that Sept trip. The shady sides of the higher passes will probably not be snow-free
at all this year, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if there are some sneak snowstorms in Sept itself. Oh yeah, me and my TMY film are going to have some fun!

Sirius Glass
15-May-2011, 14:37
This storm will bring a little more snow to the high country tomorrow. But here the
light is wonderful. I put in about six miles with the 8x10 on Diablo yesterday, and it
was beautiful, but so windy that I never even unpacked the camera. Printing and gardening today. Don't plan an extended high country trip till mid-Sept. Maybe some
short trips as things eventually thaw. Even on more "normal" years I can remember
Wanda Lk below Muir pass being all iced up clear into Sept. I'm in the process of
insisting that any of my hiking companions are equipped with snow-worthy boots for
that Sept trip. The shady sides of the higher passes will probably not be snow-free
at all this year, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if there are some sneak snowstorms in Sept itself. Oh yeah, me and my TMY film are going to have some fun!

It sounds like a tough life, but someone has to live it. :rolleyes: Sorry it is so hard on you! :eek:

Steve

Kerik Kouklis
15-May-2011, 18:48
Woke up with snow falling today at 2000 feet in the Sierra foothills.

Vaughn
15-May-2011, 20:52
Thanks! It has been many many years since I have been over that pass!

vaughn

Drew Wiley
15-May-2011, 21:09
Technically, I never have been over Muir Pass. I've always taken the "scenic route":
up the ice tongue on the opposite side of Wanda Lk. Quite a lengthy rock hop, then
a fair amt of steep ice to the summit of the Goddard Divide; but the reward is the
most spectacular vista in the Sierra that I'm personally aware of. Had a skinny
friend who wanted to accompany me one time, but who was otherwise a very
experienced woodsman and backpacker. Told him he needed an ice axe. He enjoyed
woodturning and had an old ice axe head, so turned the handle and made the point
himself, but made it too short for his height, at least for typical Sierra that time of
yr. Without much meat on his bones he got badly chilled about halfway up, so I suggested we exit and go over a smaller rise and then glissade down the snowfied
into Goddard Canyon. It's almost a 2000 ft glissade down to the highest lake, and
was a lot of fun. But every time he tried to brake his own descent with that short
handled axe, he'd come down hard with his bony butt onto the snowcups. Took him
half an hour longer than me and his rear was bruised to bits. Then to add insult to
injury, a big storm came in that nite, and his experimental single layer tent got him
soaked. We hiked out towrd Florence the next day so he could dry out and heal.

tgtaylor
6-Jun-2011, 09:13
Here's the view from the outlet of Evolution Lake taken 5/25:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-yWY6tN-iINU/TecXATILGdI/AAAAAAAAAEs/8yFVUGxnej8/s640/IMG_2746.JPG

The Hermit and Emerald Peak are in the background. Photo is copyrighted by Paul McLaughlin. For more information on this photo and others taken during on this Trans Sierra Ski Trip, see https://picasaweb.google.com/101300327436768508374/2011TransSierra#

Thomas

Drew Wiley
7-Jun-2011, 08:23
Thanks for sharing that shot and the link, Tom. That country was almost literally my back yard growing up. Maybe winter is finally ending!