PDA

View Full Version : UV filter for 150 SSXL

Songyun
15-May-2011, 09:20
I was trying to get a UV filter for my 150 ssxl, i bought a B+W silm 95mm filter, and it will touch the front element. does the regular 95mm B+W filter have enough clearance?

Bob Salomon
15-May-2011, 09:28
The Heliopan should work. If you are in north NJ you might want to drop by and see.

Songyun
15-May-2011, 09:41
The Heliopan should work. If you are in north NJ you might want to drop by and see.

Bob, I believe that Heliopan is also a slim design. SH-PMC, I had a 67mm SH-PMC which touches the front element of 110 SSXL.

eric black
15-May-2011, 09:48
Im afraid you may find no easy way to accomodate filters on your 150 SSXL. I gave up after fruitlessly searching for solutions and eventually had some custom step up rings made for the 112mm filters that I had by SK Grimes.

Songyun
15-May-2011, 09:52
Im afraid you may find no easy way to accomodate filters on your 150 SSXL. I gave up after fruitlessly searching for solutions and eventually had some custom step up rings made for the 112mm filters that I had by SK Grimes.

Have you tried regular 95mm B+W filter? I am asking because, I tried regular 67mm Hoya filter on my 110 ssxl, it works!

Two23
15-May-2011, 10:29
I've gotten to where I just hold filters up in place, or tape them on using that blue painter's maskig tape. I never find I need a UV filter though. Polarizer sometimes, colored filters sometimes, but never a UV.

Kent in SD

Bob Salomon
15-May-2011, 11:06
Bob, I believe that Heliopan is also a slim design. SH-PMC, I had a 67mm SH-PMC which touches the front element of 110 SSXL.

Heliopan only makes slim filters for those that are not in rotating mounts. But the glass in a Heliopan filter is usually further forward then the glass in a B+W mount.

Warren Clark
15-May-2011, 11:22
Hi Songyun,

I use a Heliopan on my 150 XXL and it is clear of the front element.
I'm not sure if it is the regular or slim version.
The rim is marked : E 95 UV 0.

I hve also heard of a new Lee hood/filter system for 150 mm square
filters-- has anyone seen one of these yet ?

Warren Clark

Bob Salomon
15-May-2011, 11:41
Hi Songyun,

Warren Clark

Warren, There is no choice. It since it is not a polarizer or a graduated ND filter it is only available in slim with front threads as that has been the only mount Heliopan has made for years. It is only with polarizers is there a choice since the slim Heliopan polarizers do not have front threads. Even the new Heliopan Variable ND filter is only made in a slim mount. That is the only exception to what mount Heliopan offers for rotating filters. But it is considerably thicker then the rim on a UV filter.

Songyun
15-May-2011, 17:40
Hi Songyun,

Warren Clark

Thanks Warren, I checked B+W regular filter, it still touches the front element. I will try Heliopan next time.

Phil Hudson
16-May-2011, 08:13
Same problem for me - I ended up getting a B+W 95 EW filter (outer thread bigger).

Keith Pitman
16-May-2011, 11:48
If you can find a cheap 95 mm filter (perhaps an inherent contradiction), sacrifice the filter by removing the glass and use the ring as a spacer between the lens and your UV filter. Or, just be careful and forget the UV filter (my preference).

Songyun
16-May-2011, 19:53
If you can find a cheap 95 mm filter (perhaps an inherent contradiction), sacrifice the filter by removing the glass and use the ring as a spacer between the lens and your UV filter. Or, just be careful and forget the UV filter (my preference).

I checked the price of Heliopan SH-PMC, I tend to agree with you now.